Re: Nice to Meet you, Ed and Karen

  • QPens@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
      Hi Dave,
      I purchased the Speer model Snugfit since I have a Speer Hammock that my
      girlfriend sewed from one of Ed's kits. The set up was extremely simple and
      I like the fact that I can still use my bugnet exactly the way I did before.
      I was extremely comfortable once the temps dropped in the middle of the
      night. It was extremely humid and everyone at the hang mentioned that it took a
      good while to cool down after hiking to the top of the ridge where we all
      hung. I actually slept with nothing on top of me until about 3:30 AM when I
      awoke feeling cool...and, pulled one of the Jack's summer quilts over me that
      they had lent me to try. The combination worked perfectly and I was
      comfortable the rest of the night. I slept like a log and woke up with no back pain.
      It was better than being in bed except for being alone :^ )
      Dave...is there some way to vent the snugfit quilt in temps that are a
      bit higher?
      BTW, for those of you who missed the first Mid-Atlantic Hang, you missed
      a great time. Great people, great location, great weather and a great place
      to see all kinds of hammocks. The Jacks came with a bunch of different
      hammocks from different manufacturers and displayed their quilts/underquilts on
      each one, plus their new bridge hammock. There were also a bunch of one of a
      kind hammocks made of different material. Oh-No came with his cuben fiber
      tarp and his bamboo and cuben fiber backpack. They were really nifty.
      We are thinking of doing this again in the Spring...so, for those of you
      fairly close by, keep a look out on this board and Hammockforums.net/
      Best,
      Michael
      qpens

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
        Michael,

        Yes, you can vent the SnugFit Underquilt.

        With the Speer model that you have, the sides of the underquilt attach
        to the sides of the hammock and that gives you a different set of
        options from the Universal model. You can leave the sides attached
        and use a different loop on the shock cord going to the carabiners, or
        move the carabiners from the bugnet attachment, or just disconnect the
        carabiners all together. These will drop the underquilt from the
        hammock some and you will get venting since it will no longer be an
        efficient insulator with air gaps between it and the bottom of the
        hammock. (You do have to worry about the quilt dropping down enough to
        snag on something or maybe even drag the ground if your hammock is
        hanging kind of low, so watch out for that.) You can also undo the
        hook and loop fasteners on one side and then pull that side of the
        underquilt underneath you and to the other side of the hammock.

        But venting is venting... it is not like you can just dial up the
        precise amount of insulation you need. This is very much like having
        a thick jacket that will keep you warm to freezing temperatures. When
        it is too warm to use that jacket but just cool enough that you need
        something, you can vent it by unzipping it, opening draw strings at
        the waste, pit zips, etc, but it will not be as comfortable in 65F
        weather as a light jacket or long sleeve shirt. Venting is what we do
        to make the best of our situation when we have too much insulation to
        be comfortable.

        Venting an underquilt is more difficult than venting top side
        insulation especially since it often means you have to get up and make
        adjustments. It is also a bummer in certain temperature ranges
        because when you lay down to go to sleep it is too warm to need any
        insulation what so ever, in fact it may be hot and you want to cool
        off, what you want is an air conditioner... but you know that sometime
        during the evening it will cool off and you will need some insulation.
        Venting the underquilt will not solve that problem but it might help
        it be more bearable. Sometimes I just wait and put the underquilt on
        when it cools off. Sometimes I vent it and then un-vent it when it
        cools off. Other times I just leave in on, vent on the top side, and
        hope it cools off quickly. Venting is not like having an air
        conditioner/heating system with an automatic thermostat, like I said
        earlier-- venting is what we do to make the best of our situation when
        we have too much insulation to be comfortable.

        When you get in conditions where the temperatures stay a little
        cooler, perhaps 30-70F or so, I don't think you will worry about
        venting your underquilt and will just vent your top side insulation as
        necessary. With your Speer Model, I'm hoping you will not even know
        it is there, especially if you use a big enough stuff sack to
        accommodate the hammock with the quilt attached.

        Hope all that helps, sorry that I got long winded but I think venting
        has been misrepresented at times as to just what you can do with it
        and what you can't do with it and I wanted to use this as an
        opportunity to help sort that out.

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood 2000
        Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt and
        Winter Tarp
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
          When it gets cool, do you really need a bugnet??
          Just asking?

          Ralph (in Idaho where the skeeters sleep at night)

          On 10/11/07, QPens@... <QPens@...> wrote:

          > Hi Dave,
          > I purchased the Speer model Snugfit since I have a Speer Hammock that
          > my
          > girlfriend sewed from one of Ed's kits. The set up was extremely simple
          > and
          > I like the fact that I can still use my bugnet exactly the way I did
          > before.
          > I was extremely comfortable once the temps dropped in the middle of the
          > night. It was extremely humid and everyone at the hang mentioned that it
          > took a
          > good while to cool down after hiking to the top of the ridge where we all
          > hung. I actually slept with nothing on top of me until about 3:30 AM
          > when I
          > awoke feeling cool...and, pulled one of the Jack's summer quilts over me
          > that
          > they had lent me to try. The combination worked perfectly and I was
          > comfortable the rest of the night. I slept like a log and woke up with
          > no back pain.
          > It was better than being in bed except for being alone :^ )
          > Dave...is there some way to vent the snugfit quilt in temps that are a
          > bit higher?
          > BTW, for those of you who missed the first Mid-Atlantic Hang, you
          > missed
          > a great time. Great people, great location, great weather and a great
          > place
          > to see all kinds of hammocks. The Jacks came with a bunch of different
          > hammocks from different manufacturers and displayed their
          > quilts/underquilts on
          > each one, plus their new bridge hammock. There were also a bunch of one
          > of a
          > kind hammocks made of different material. Oh-No came with his cuben
          > fiber
          > tarp and his bamboo and cuben fiber backpack. They were really nifty.
          > We are thinking of doing this again in the Spring...so, for those of
          > you
          > fairly close by, keep a look out on this board and Hammockforums.net/
          > Best,
          > Michael
          > qpens

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
            Yes--unless 'cool' means below freezing.

            CL (in Taiwan, where it isn't just the skeeters that party all night)

            Ralph Oborn wrote:
            > When it gets cool, do you really need a bugnet??
            > Just asking?
            >
            > Ralph (in Idaho where the skeeters sleep at night)
            >
            > On 10/11/07, QPens@... <QPens@...> wrote:
            >> I like the fact that I can still use my bugnet exactly the way I did
            >> before.
          • Scott Schroeder
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
              Dave,
              I know you addressed Michael, but this got my interest.
              You may recall I asked about possible solution in regard to something I did
              with the bridge hammock.
              With an adjustable
              bottom<http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1438>,
              I think there could be a way to handle this.
              If there was two layers, one could start the night off with thinner
              insulation(first bottom), then when temperatures drop, reach up and pull up
              the second bottom. Also, you could just pull up the foot end and leave the
              head end 'open' or any combination. Perhaps the bottom most layer could be a
              bit thinner (and lighter) with this setup.
              Anyway, hopefully this winter I'll be able to play more with the
              possibilities.

              Scott

            • QPens@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
                Hi Dave,
                Thanks for posting all of the different options for venting the Speer
                Snugfit. I'll try each of them, but, as you said, it's really only necessary
                in warmer weather. I was actually very comfortable that night once my body
                cooled down and worked with the top quilt to vent. Thanks for designing such a
                great underquilt.
                Best,
                Michael
                qpens

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
                  Hey Scott,

                  What you are does look promising and reminds me a little bit of the
                  early approach Ray Garlington used with his undercover for his
                  Hennessy Hammock where he had a pull cord rigged so he could pull it
                  closed behind him after he got in his hammock. The last I recall Ray
                  was using a top loading hammock and putting a big bag of feathers in
                  his undercover for insulation and using all manner of accessories with
                  his hammock. I don't know if Ray still comes to this forum, I don't
                  recall him posting lately.

                  Like you said, you will learn more about how all that works this
                  winter and until you get out there with it and see how it does in
                  backpacking conditions you won't really know whether it solves more
                  problems than it creates. There is always that risk when you try
                  something new, I know I have had that experience many times but it is
                  part of the process. Good luck with it and let me know how it does.