NYE at Springer

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2007
      Hi, Guys-

      I am going to predict there will be several people from this list heading out to Springer for New Year's Eve this year.

      There is an outside chance I can get there this year, culminating a very convoluted trip with some gal pals. A critical piece of the plan involves getting back to the Boston area before school starts on Jan. 2.

      Is someone here who is planning to celebrate NYE on Springer able to drop me off at the Charlotte, NC, airport by about 4 PM on Jan 1? The Atlanta airport is a second choice. I do not expect a free ride, just reliable and reasonable.

      Thanks, in advance, for any consideration.

      Rosaleen

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2007
        Rosaleen,

        How many people do you have to get to an airport and by what time at
        the Atlanta airport? The MARTA train goes out north of Atlanta a
        little ways and the train goes to the airport, which is south of
        Atlanta http://www.itsmarta.com/ . Some people, me in particular,
        would have it so it wouldn't be any trouble to drop you off at the
        MARTA station as that route wouldn't be out of my way while the
        airport itself would be an additional 60 mile round trip or so but
        might get you there a half-hour or so quicker.

        You do realize that the NYE thing is iffy if a big winter storm comes
        through. If it was me getting you to a MARTA station, I would count
        on a two hour drive from Springer to the Doraville MARTA station or
        North Point MARTA station, and then a hour commute on the train, where
        you just stay on the train until it ends at the airport from either
        station.

        Dave

        <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Guys-
        >
        > I am going to predict there will be several people from this list
        heading out to Springer for New Year's Eve this year.

        > There is an outside chance I can get there this year, culminating a
        very convoluted trip with some gal pals. A critical piece of the plan
        involves getting back to the Boston area before school starts on Jan. 2.

        > Is someone here who is planning to celebrate NYE on Springer able to
        drop me off at the Charlotte, NC, airport by about 4 PM on Jan 1? The
        Atlanta airport is a second choice. I do not expect a free ride, just
        reliable and reasonable.

        > Thanks, in advance, for any consideration.
        >
        > Rosaleen

      • rosaleen43
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 11, 2007
          Hi, Dave-

          Thanks for answering.

          I think it is just me looking for a ride to/near an airport. I am
          trying to work a visit to my parents (Ohio), a few days of Gal Pal
          time (maaybe NC) AND a trip to Srpinger for NYE, and back home to
          the Boston area into my Christmas school break. I don't want much,
          huh?

          It is looking like the price i wanted to pay for a flight home is
          sold out in Atlanta unless I could get there by about Noon. That
          might be a bit early after partying the night before at Springer.
          really, who will want to get up and "move out smartly."

          I haven;t quite given up, yet. Decisions need to be soon or all the
          flights might be full.

          Thanks again!

          Rosaleen

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 12, 2007
            Rosaleen,

            Okay, we are getting some of the parameters nailed down. I did a
            little looking at my maps and made some estimates (if someone has done
            this before and knows better, please speak up). With a noon airport
            dead line the MARTA connection doesn't fit in well.

            The 1 mile walk on the AT from Springer to the parking lot: 1/2 hour.

            The 6.5 mile drive on Forrest Service Road 42 to Doublehead Gap Road:
            1/2 hour.

            100 mile drive from there to ATL airport: 2 hours.

            I'm figuring your best case is that it will take 3 hours to get you
            from Springer to the ATL airport. Can you make that work? If you can
            I can drive you all the way to the airport.

            Dave

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rosaleen43" <rosaleen43@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi, Dave-
            >
            > Thanks for answering.
            >
            > I think it is just me looking for a ride to/near an airport. I am
            > trying to work a visit to my parents (Ohio), a few days of Gal Pal
            > time (maaybe NC) AND a trip to Srpinger for NYE, and back home to
            > the Boston area into my Christmas school break. I don't want much,
            > huh?
            >
            > It is looking like the price i wanted to pay for a flight home is
            > sold out in Atlanta unless I could get there by about Noon. That
            > might be a bit early after partying the night before at Springer.
            > really, who will want to get up and "move out smartly."
            >
            > I haven;t quite given up, yet. Decisions need to be soon or all the
            > flights might be full.
            >
            > Thanks again!
            >
            > Rosaleen
            > >
            > > Rosaleen,
            > >
            > > How many people do you have to get to an airport and by what time at
            > > the Atlanta airport? The MARTA train goes out north of Atlanta a
            > > little ways and the train goes to the airport, which is south of
            > > Atlanta http://www.itsmarta.com/ . Some people, me in particular,
            > > would have it so it wouldn't be any trouble to drop you off at the
            > > MARTA station as that route wouldn't be out of my way while the
            > > airport itself would be an additional 60 mile round trip or so but
            > > might get you there a half-hour or so quicker.
            > >
            > > You do realize that the NYE thing is iffy if a big winter storm
            > comes
            > > through. If it was me getting you to a MARTA station, I would count
            > > on a two hour drive from Springer to the Doraville MARTA station or
            > > North Point MARTA station, and then a hour commute on the train,
            > where
            > > you just stay on the train until it ends at the airport from either
            > > station.
            > >
            > > Dave
            > >
            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rosaleen Sullivan"
            > > <rosaleen43@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi, Guys-
            > > >
            > > > I am going to predict there will be several people from this list
            > > heading out to Springer for New Year's Eve this year.
            > > >
            > > > There is an outside chance I can get there this year, culminating
            > > very convoluted trip with some gal pals. A critical piece of the
            > plan
            > > involves getting back to the Boston area before school starts on
            > Jan. 2.
            > > >
            > > > Is someone here who is planning to celebrate NYE on Springer able
            > > drop me off at the Charlotte, NC, airport by about 4 PM on Jan 1?
            > The
            > > Atlanta airport is a second choice. I do not expect a free ride,
            > just
            > > reliable and reasonable.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks, in advance, for any consideration.
            > > >
            > > > Rosaleen

          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 13, 2007
              Dave-

              You are just too nice for words!

              We have this separate off-line thread among some of my gal-pals met through
              the WomenHikers group. A few of us have been trying to figure out a way to
              "kidnap" a friend who could use a break. One of those kidnapper-wanna-be's
              could use a break herself, but may not be able to get away from her family
              obligations. We started kicking around bringing the "voluntarily kidnapped"
              friend to the one who couldn;t get away. Now my co-ringleader has wrecked
              her vehicle. What a mess!

              I will try to sort out what I can over the weekend. Do men let things get
              this complicated, or is it just how the convoluted female brain works???

              Thank you so much for your most kind offer. I would LIIKE to take you up on
              it, if I can manage the trip.

              I never cease to be amazed at how kind the Trail Community is to each other.

              Rosaleen

              Re: NYE at Springer
              Posted by: "Dave Womble" dpwomble@... dpwomble