Re: [Hammock Camping] Nice to Meet you, Ed and Karen

  • karens62@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2007
      No clue why all of those question marks showed up - I promise I didn't type them myself :).

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
        Hi Dave,
        I purchased the Speer model Snugfit since I have a Speer Hammock that my
        girlfriend sewed from one of Ed's kits. The set up was extremely simple and
        I like the fact that I can still use my bugnet exactly the way I did before.
        I was extremely comfortable once the temps dropped in the middle of the
        night. It was extremely humid and everyone at the hang mentioned that it took a
        good while to cool down after hiking to the top of the ridge where we all
        hung. I actually slept with nothing on top of me until about 3:30 AM when I
        awoke feeling cool...and, pulled one of the Jack's summer quilts over me that
        they had lent me to try. The combination worked perfectly and I was
        comfortable the rest of the night. I slept like a log and woke up with no back pain.
        It was better than being in bed except for being alone :^ )
        Dave...is there some way to vent the snugfit quilt in temps that are a
        bit higher?
        BTW, for those of you who missed the first Mid-Atlantic Hang, you missed
        a great time. Great people, great location, great weather and a great place
        to see all kinds of hammocks. The Jacks came with a bunch of different
        hammocks from different manufacturers and displayed their quilts/underquilts on
        each one, plus their new bridge hammock. There were also a bunch of one of a
        kind hammocks made of different material. Oh-No came with his cuben fiber
        tarp and his bamboo and cuben fiber backpack. They were really nifty.
        We are thinking of doing this again in the Spring...so, for those of you
        fairly close by, keep a look out on this board and Hammockforums.net/
        Best,
        Michael
        qpens

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
          Michael,

          Yes, you can vent the SnugFit Underquilt.

          With the Speer model that you have, the sides of the underquilt attach
          to the sides of the hammock and that gives you a different set of
          options from the Universal model. You can leave the sides attached
          and use a different loop on the shock cord going to the carabiners, or
          move the carabiners from the bugnet attachment, or just disconnect the
          carabiners all together. These will drop the underquilt from the
          hammock some and you will get venting since it will no longer be an
          efficient insulator with air gaps between it and the bottom of the
          hammock. (You do have to worry about the quilt dropping down enough to
          snag on something or maybe even drag the ground if your hammock is
          hanging kind of low, so watch out for that.) You can also undo the
          hook and loop fasteners on one side and then pull that side of the
          underquilt underneath you and to the other side of the hammock.

          But venting is venting... it is not like you can just dial up the
          precise amount of insulation you need. This is very much like having
          a thick jacket that will keep you warm to freezing temperatures. When
          it is too warm to use that jacket but just cool enough that you need
          something, you can vent it by unzipping it, opening draw strings at
          the waste, pit zips, etc, but it will not be as comfortable in 65F
          weather as a light jacket or long sleeve shirt. Venting is what we do
          to make the best of our situation when we have too much insulation to
          be comfortable.

          Venting an underquilt is more difficult than venting top side
          insulation especially since it often means you have to get up and make
          adjustments. It is also a bummer in certain temperature ranges
          because when you lay down to go to sleep it is too warm to need any
          insulation what so ever, in fact it may be hot and you want to cool
          off, what you want is an air conditioner... but you know that sometime
          during the evening it will cool off and you will need some insulation.
          Venting the underquilt will not solve that problem but it might help
          it be more bearable. Sometimes I just wait and put the underquilt on
          when it cools off. Sometimes I vent it and then un-vent it when it
          cools off. Other times I just leave in on, vent on the top side, and
          hope it cools off quickly. Venting is not like having an air
          conditioner/heating system with an automatic thermostat, like I said
          earlier-- venting is what we do to make the best of our situation when
          we have too much insulation to be comfortable.

          When you get in conditions where the temperatures stay a little
          cooler, perhaps 30-70F or so, I don't think you will worry about
          venting your underquilt and will just vent your top side insulation as
          necessary. With your Speer Model, I'm hoping you will not even know
          it is there, especially if you use a big enough stuff sack to
          accommodate the hammock with the quilt attached.

          Hope all that helps, sorry that I got long winded but I think venting
          has been misrepresented at times as to just what you can do with it
          and what you can't do with it and I wanted to use this as an
          opportunity to help sort that out.

          Dave Womble
          aka Youngblood 2000
          Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt and
          Winter Tarp
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
            When it gets cool, do you really need a bugnet??
            Just asking?

            Ralph (in Idaho where the skeeters sleep at night)

            On 10/11/07, QPens@... <QPens@...> wrote:

            > Hi Dave,
            > I purchased the Speer model Snugfit since I have a Speer Hammock that
            > my
            > girlfriend sewed from one of Ed's kits. The set up was extremely simple
            > and
            > I like the fact that I can still use my bugnet exactly the way I did
            > before.
            > I was extremely comfortable once the temps dropped in the middle of the
            > night. It was extremely humid and everyone at the hang mentioned that it
            > took a
            > good while to cool down after hiking to the top of the ridge where we all
            > hung. I actually slept with nothing on top of me until about 3:30 AM
            > when I
            > awoke feeling cool...and, pulled one of the Jack's summer quilts over me
            > that
            > they had lent me to try. The combination worked perfectly and I was
            > comfortable the rest of the night. I slept like a log and woke up with
            > no back pain.
            > It was better than being in bed except for being alone :^ )
            > Dave...is there some way to vent the snugfit quilt in temps that are a
            > bit higher?
            > BTW, for those of you who missed the first Mid-Atlantic Hang, you
            > missed
            > a great time. Great people, great location, great weather and a great
            > place
            > to see all kinds of hammocks. The Jacks came with a bunch of different
            > hammocks from different manufacturers and displayed their
            > quilts/underquilts on
            > each one, plus their new bridge hammock. There were also a bunch of one
            > of a
            > kind hammocks made of different material. Oh-No came with his cuben
            > fiber
            > tarp and his bamboo and cuben fiber backpack. They were really nifty.
            > We are thinking of doing this again in the Spring...so, for those of
            > you
            > fairly close by, keep a look out on this board and Hammockforums.net/
            > Best,
            > Michael
            > qpens

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
              Yes--unless 'cool' means below freezing.

              CL (in Taiwan, where it isn't just the skeeters that party all night)

              Ralph Oborn wrote:
              > When it gets cool, do you really need a bugnet??
              > Just asking?
              >
              > Ralph (in Idaho where the skeeters sleep at night)
              >
              > On 10/11/07, QPens@... <QPens@...> wrote:
              >> I like the fact that I can still use my bugnet exactly the way I did
              >> before.
            • Scott Schroeder
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
                Dave,
                I know you addressed Michael, but this got my interest.
                You may recall I asked about possible solution in regard to something I did
                with the bridge hammock.
                With an adjustable
                bottom<http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1438>,
                I think there could be a way to handle this.
                If there was two layers, one could start the night off with thinner
                insulation(first bottom), then when temperatures drop, reach up and pull up
                the second bottom. Also, you could just pull up the foot end and leave the
                head end 'open' or any combination. Perhaps the bottom most layer could be a
                bit thinner (and lighter) with this setup.
                Anyway, hopefully this winter I'll be able to play more with the
                possibilities.

                Scott

              • QPens@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
                  Hi Dave,
                  Thanks for posting all of the different options for venting the Speer
                  Snugfit. I'll try each of them, but, as you said, it's really only necessary
                  in warmer weather. I was actually very comfortable that night once my body
                  cooled down and worked with the top quilt to vent. Thanks for designing such a
                  great underquilt.
                  Best,
                  Michael
                  qpens

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
                    Hey Scott,

                    What you are does look promising and reminds me a little bit of the
                    early approach Ray Garlington used with his undercover for his
                    Hennessy Hammock where he had a pull cord rigged so he could pull it
                    closed behind him after he got in his hammock. The last I recall Ray
                    was using a top loading hammock and putting a big bag of feathers in
                    his undercover for insulation and using all manner of accessories with
                    his hammock. I don't know if Ray still comes to this forum, I don't
                    recall him posting lately.

                    Like you said, you will learn more about how all that works this
                    winter and until you get out there with it and see how it does in
                    backpacking conditions you won't really know whether it solves more
                    problems than it creates. There is always that risk when you try
                    something new, I know I have had that experience many times but it is
                    part of the process. Good luck with it and let me know how it does.