Re: [Hammock Camping] Nice to Meet you, Ed and Karen

  • karens62@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2007
      Michael,

      Ed is at an all-day meeting and we will? unexpectedly be out of town starting tomorrow so I will answer for him. It was a true pleasure to meet you as well; I only wish we could have had a chance to chat longer. Hopefully you were able to attend some of the workshops at the Gathering. The ALDHA gathering is always a great place to talk with hikers and gain enough information to fill up anyone's brain - I strongly encourage everyone who has an interest in long distance hiking, in the near or far future, to attend this annual event.

      We had a wonderful time despite the almost 90* temps.?We got to see and talk with?a lot of old friends including Marta, Sgt Rock and his family, G-Force, and many more who shouldn't be offended if I dodn't name them because this email would be very long if I listed everyone!? We also met a ton of new people and introduced a number of future thru-hikers to the benefit of hammocks.? We heard several stories about recent converts to the world of hammocking, including some long term backpackers (decades of experience) who have switched within the last couple of months and couldn't have been more enthusiatic. It is always fun to see the difference in attitude towards hammcoks at these events.?Over the last?5-6 years ago, hammocking has gone from being an oddity to being mainstream form of shelter. Even hikers who haven't figured out what a joy it is to hammock no longer look on it as something foreign. It seemed like almost everyone at the Gathering?who didn't have a hammock themselves had hiked with someone who did.
      ?
      We were glad to hear the MAHHA was so well attended. It's exciting for both Ed and I to see all of these other hangouts popping up. Ed would love to be at each and every one so you never know where we might show up next!

      Karen

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2007
        No clue why all of those question marks showed up - I promise I didn't type them myself :).

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
          Hi Dave,
          I purchased the Speer model Snugfit since I have a Speer Hammock that my
          girlfriend sewed from one of Ed's kits. The set up was extremely simple and
          I like the fact that I can still use my bugnet exactly the way I did before.
          I was extremely comfortable once the temps dropped in the middle of the
          night. It was extremely humid and everyone at the hang mentioned that it took a
          good while to cool down after hiking to the top of the ridge where we all
          hung. I actually slept with nothing on top of me until about 3:30 AM when I
          awoke feeling cool...and, pulled one of the Jack's summer quilts over me that
          they had lent me to try. The combination worked perfectly and I was
          comfortable the rest of the night. I slept like a log and woke up with no back pain.
          It was better than being in bed except for being alone :^ )
          Dave...is there some way to vent the snugfit quilt in temps that are a
          bit higher?
          BTW, for those of you who missed the first Mid-Atlantic Hang, you missed
          a great time. Great people, great location, great weather and a great place
          to see all kinds of hammocks. The Jacks came with a bunch of different
          hammocks from different manufacturers and displayed their quilts/underquilts on
          each one, plus their new bridge hammock. There were also a bunch of one of a
          kind hammocks made of different material. Oh-No came with his cuben fiber
          tarp and his bamboo and cuben fiber backpack. They were really nifty.
          We are thinking of doing this again in the Spring...so, for those of you
          fairly close by, keep a look out on this board and Hammockforums.net/
          Best,
          Michael
          qpens

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
            Michael,

            Yes, you can vent the SnugFit Underquilt.

            With the Speer model that you have, the sides of the underquilt attach
            to the sides of the hammock and that gives you a different set of
            options from the Universal model. You can leave the sides attached
            and use a different loop on the shock cord going to the carabiners, or
            move the carabiners from the bugnet attachment, or just disconnect the
            carabiners all together. These will drop the underquilt from the
            hammock some and you will get venting since it will no longer be an
            efficient insulator with air gaps between it and the bottom of the
            hammock. (You do have to worry about the quilt dropping down enough to
            snag on something or maybe even drag the ground if your hammock is
            hanging kind of low, so watch out for that.) You can also undo the
            hook and loop fasteners on one side and then pull that side of the
            underquilt underneath you and to the other side of the hammock.

            But venting is venting... it is not like you can just dial up the
            precise amount of insulation you need. This is very much like having
            a thick jacket that will keep you warm to freezing temperatures. When
            it is too warm to use that jacket but just cool enough that you need
            something, you can vent it by unzipping it, opening draw strings at
            the waste, pit zips, etc, but it will not be as comfortable in 65F
            weather as a light jacket or long sleeve shirt. Venting is what we do
            to make the best of our situation when we have too much insulation to
            be comfortable.

            Venting an underquilt is more difficult than venting top side
            insulation especially since it often means you have to get up and make
            adjustments. It is also a bummer in certain temperature ranges
            because when you lay down to go to sleep it is too warm to need any
            insulation what so ever, in fact it may be hot and you want to cool
            off, what you want is an air conditioner... but you know that sometime
            during the evening it will cool off and you will need some insulation.
            Venting the underquilt will not solve that problem but it might help
            it be more bearable. Sometimes I just wait and put the underquilt on
            when it cools off. Sometimes I vent it and then un-vent it when it
            cools off. Other times I just leave in on, vent on the top side, and
            hope it cools off quickly. Venting is not like having an air
            conditioner/heating system with an automatic thermostat, like I said
            earlier-- venting is what we do to make the best of our situation when
            we have too much insulation to be comfortable.

            When you get in conditions where the temperatures stay a little
            cooler, perhaps 30-70F or so, I don't think you will worry about
            venting your underquilt and will just vent your top side insulation as
            necessary. With your Speer Model, I'm hoping you will not even know
            it is there, especially if you use a big enough stuff sack to
            accommodate the hammock with the quilt attached.

            Hope all that helps, sorry that I got long winded but I think venting
            has been misrepresented at times as to just what you can do with it
            and what you can't do with it and I wanted to use this as an
            opportunity to help sort that out.

            Dave Womble
            aka Youngblood 2000
            Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt and
            Winter Tarp
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
              When it gets cool, do you really need a bugnet??
              Just asking?

              Ralph (in Idaho where the skeeters sleep at night)

              On 10/11/07, QPens@... <QPens@...> wrote:

              > Hi Dave,
              > I purchased the Speer model Snugfit since I have a Speer Hammock that
              > my
              > girlfriend sewed from one of Ed's kits. The set up was extremely simple
              > and
              > I like the fact that I can still use my bugnet exactly the way I did
              > before.
              > I was extremely comfortable once the temps dropped in the middle of the
              > night. It was extremely humid and everyone at the hang mentioned that it
              > took a
              > good while to cool down after hiking to the top of the ridge where we all
              > hung. I actually slept with nothing on top of me until about 3:30 AM
              > when I
              > awoke feeling cool...and, pulled one of the Jack's summer quilts over me
              > that
              > they had lent me to try. The combination worked perfectly and I was
              > comfortable the rest of the night. I slept like a log and woke up with
              > no back pain.
              > It was better than being in bed except for being alone :^ )
              > Dave...is there some way to vent the snugfit quilt in temps that are a
              > bit higher?
              > BTW, for those of you who missed the first Mid-Atlantic Hang, you
              > missed
              > a great time. Great people, great location, great weather and a great
              > place
              > to see all kinds of hammocks. The Jacks came with a bunch of different
              > hammocks from different manufacturers and displayed their
              > quilts/underquilts on
              > each one, plus their new bridge hammock. There were also a bunch of one
              > of a
              > kind hammocks made of different material. Oh-No came with his cuben
              > fiber
              > tarp and his bamboo and cuben fiber backpack. They were really nifty.
              > We are thinking of doing this again in the Spring...so, for those of
              > you
              > fairly close by, keep a look out on this board and Hammockforums.net/
              > Best,
              > Michael
              > qpens

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
                Yes--unless 'cool' means below freezing.

                CL (in Taiwan, where it isn't just the skeeters that party all night)

                Ralph Oborn wrote:
                > When it gets cool, do you really need a bugnet??
                > Just asking?
                >
                > Ralph (in Idaho where the skeeters sleep at night)
                >
                > On 10/11/07, QPens@... <QPens@...> wrote:
                >> I like the fact that I can still use my bugnet exactly the way I did
                >> before.
              • Scott Schroeder
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
                  Dave,
                  I know you addressed Michael, but this got my interest.
                  You may recall I asked about possible solution in regard to something I did
                  with the bridge hammock.
                  With an adjustable
                  bottom<http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1438>,
                  I think there could be a way to handle this.
                  If there was two layers, one could start the night off with thinner
                  insulation(first bottom), then when temperatures drop, reach up and pull up
                  the second bottom. Also, you could just pull up the foot end and leave the
                  head end 'open' or any combination. Perhaps the bottom most layer could be a
                  bit thinner (and lighter) with this setup.
                  Anyway, hopefully this winter I'll be able to play more with the
                  possibilities.

                  Scott

                • QPens@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
                    Hi Dave,
                    Thanks for posting all of the different options for venting the Speer
                    Snugfit. I'll try each of them, but, as you said, it's really only necessary
                    in warmer weather. I was actually very comfortable that night once my body
                    cooled down and worked with the top quilt to vent. Thanks for designing such a
                    great underquilt.
                    Best,
                    Michael
                    qpens

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
                      Hey Scott,

                      What you are does look promising and reminds me a little bit of the
                      early approach Ray Garlington used with his undercover for his
                      Hennessy Hammock where he had a pull cord rigged so he could pull it
                      closed behind him after he got in his hammock. The last I recall Ray
                      was using a top loading hammock and putting a big bag of feathers in
                      his undercover for insulation and using all manner of accessories with
                      his hammock. I don't know if Ray still comes to this forum, I don't
                      recall him posting lately.

                      Like you said, you will learn more about how all that works this
                      winter and until you get out there with it and see how it does in
                      backpacking conditions you won't really know whether it solves more
                      problems than it creates. There is always that risk when you try
                      something new, I know I have had that experience many times but it is
                      part of the process. Good luck with it and let me know how it does.