Nice to Meet you, Ed and Karen

  • Michael Quitt
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2007
      A few of us who were at the Mid-Atlantic Hang at Crampton Gap on the
      AT last weekend drove over to the Gathering in Gettysburg on Saturday
      for a few hours. I finally got to meet Ed Speer and Karen who were
      busy demonstrating the Speer hammocks and accessories in their booth
      outside. Even though they were very busy, they took the time to chat
      with me for a little bit. Ed and Karen are some of the nicest folks
      you'd ever want to meet...really genuinely warm people and down to earth!
      Ed..thanks for getting my Snugfit underquilt to me in time for the
      MAHHA Hang that weekend. It worked like a champ and I was extremely
      comfortable. For me, underquilts are the way to go.
      Best,
      Michael
      Qpens
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2007
        Michael,

        I hope you enjoy your underquilt and that it is all you expected it to
        be. I know it is a major purchase and there is always some anxiety
        with being one of the early customers. Which model did you get, the
        Universal or the Speer, and if it was the Universal what model hammock
        are you using it with? If you have any questions about using it, feel
        free to ask.

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood 2000
        Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
        Winter Tarp.

      • karens62@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2007
          Michael,

          Ed is at an all-day meeting and we will? unexpectedly be out of town starting tomorrow so I will answer for him. It was a true pleasure to meet you as well; I only wish we could have had a chance to chat longer. Hopefully you were able to attend some of the workshops at the Gathering. The ALDHA gathering is always a great place to talk with hikers and gain enough information to fill up anyone's brain - I strongly encourage everyone who has an interest in long distance hiking, in the near or far future, to attend this annual event.

          We had a wonderful time despite the almost 90* temps.?We got to see and talk with?a lot of old friends including Marta, Sgt Rock and his family, G-Force, and many more who shouldn't be offended if I dodn't name them because this email would be very long if I listed everyone!? We also met a ton of new people and introduced a number of future thru-hikers to the benefit of hammocks.? We heard several stories about recent converts to the world of hammocking, including some long term backpackers (decades of experience) who have switched within the last couple of months and couldn't have been more enthusiatic. It is always fun to see the difference in attitude towards hammcoks at these events.?Over the last?5-6 years ago, hammocking has gone from being an oddity to being mainstream form of shelter. Even hikers who haven't figured out what a joy it is to hammock no longer look on it as something foreign. It seemed like almost everyone at the Gathering?who didn't have a hammock themselves had hiked with someone who did.
          ?
          We were glad to hear the MAHHA was so well attended. It's exciting for both Ed and I to see all of these other hangouts popping up. Ed would love to be at each and every one so you never know where we might show up next!

          Karen

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 10, 2007
            No clue why all of those question marks showed up - I promise I didn't type them myself :).

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
              Hi Dave,
              I purchased the Speer model Snugfit since I have a Speer Hammock that my
              girlfriend sewed from one of Ed's kits. The set up was extremely simple and
              I like the fact that I can still use my bugnet exactly the way I did before.
              I was extremely comfortable once the temps dropped in the middle of the
              night. It was extremely humid and everyone at the hang mentioned that it took a
              good while to cool down after hiking to the top of the ridge where we all
              hung. I actually slept with nothing on top of me until about 3:30 AM when I
              awoke feeling cool...and, pulled one of the Jack's summer quilts over me that
              they had lent me to try. The combination worked perfectly and I was
              comfortable the rest of the night. I slept like a log and woke up with no back pain.
              It was better than being in bed except for being alone :^ )
              Dave...is there some way to vent the snugfit quilt in temps that are a
              bit higher?
              BTW, for those of you who missed the first Mid-Atlantic Hang, you missed
              a great time. Great people, great location, great weather and a great place
              to see all kinds of hammocks. The Jacks came with a bunch of different
              hammocks from different manufacturers and displayed their quilts/underquilts on
              each one, plus their new bridge hammock. There were also a bunch of one of a
              kind hammocks made of different material. Oh-No came with his cuben fiber
              tarp and his bamboo and cuben fiber backpack. They were really nifty.
              We are thinking of doing this again in the Spring...so, for those of you
              fairly close by, keep a look out on this board and Hammockforums.net/
              Best,
              Michael
              qpens

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
                Michael,

                Yes, you can vent the SnugFit Underquilt.

                With the Speer model that you have, the sides of the underquilt attach
                to the sides of the hammock and that gives you a different set of
                options from the Universal model. You can leave the sides attached
                and use a different loop on the shock cord going to the carabiners, or
                move the carabiners from the bugnet attachment, or just disconnect the
                carabiners all together. These will drop the underquilt from the
                hammock some and you will get venting since it will no longer be an
                efficient insulator with air gaps between it and the bottom of the
                hammock. (You do have to worry about the quilt dropping down enough to
                snag on something or maybe even drag the ground if your hammock is
                hanging kind of low, so watch out for that.) You can also undo the
                hook and loop fasteners on one side and then pull that side of the
                underquilt underneath you and to the other side of the hammock.

                But venting is venting... it is not like you can just dial up the
                precise amount of insulation you need. This is very much like having
                a thick jacket that will keep you warm to freezing temperatures. When
                it is too warm to use that jacket but just cool enough that you need
                something, you can vent it by unzipping it, opening draw strings at
                the waste, pit zips, etc, but it will not be as comfortable in 65F
                weather as a light jacket or long sleeve shirt. Venting is what we do
                to make the best of our situation when we have too much insulation to
                be comfortable.

                Venting an underquilt is more difficult than venting top side
                insulation especially since it often means you have to get up and make
                adjustments. It is also a bummer in certain temperature ranges
                because when you lay down to go to sleep it is too warm to need any
                insulation what so ever, in fact it may be hot and you want to cool
                off, what you want is an air conditioner... but you know that sometime
                during the evening it will cool off and you will need some insulation.
                Venting the underquilt will not solve that problem but it might help
                it be more bearable. Sometimes I just wait and put the underquilt on
                when it cools off. Sometimes I vent it and then un-vent it when it
                cools off. Other times I just leave in on, vent on the top side, and
                hope it cools off quickly. Venting is not like having an air
                conditioner/heating system with an automatic thermostat, like I said
                earlier-- venting is what we do to make the best of our situation when
                we have too much insulation to be comfortable.

                When you get in conditions where the temperatures stay a little
                cooler, perhaps 30-70F or so, I don't think you will worry about
                venting your underquilt and will just vent your top side insulation as
                necessary. With your Speer Model, I'm hoping you will not even know
                it is there, especially if you use a big enough stuff sack to
                accommodate the hammock with the quilt attached.

                Hope all that helps, sorry that I got long winded but I think venting
                has been misrepresented at times as to just what you can do with it
                and what you can't do with it and I wanted to use this as an
                opportunity to help sort that out.

                Dave Womble
                aka Youngblood 2000
                Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt and
                Winter Tarp
              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
                  When it gets cool, do you really need a bugnet??
                  Just asking?

                  Ralph (in Idaho where the skeeters sleep at night)

                  On 10/11/07, QPens@... <QPens@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Dave,
                  > I purchased the Speer model Snugfit since I have a Speer Hammock that
                  > my
                  > girlfriend sewed from one of Ed's kits. The set up was extremely simple
                  > and
                  > I like the fact that I can still use my bugnet exactly the way I did
                  > before.
                  > I was extremely comfortable once the temps dropped in the middle of the
                  > night. It was extremely humid and everyone at the hang mentioned that it
                  > took a
                  > good while to cool down after hiking to the top of the ridge where we all
                  > hung. I actually slept with nothing on top of me until about 3:30 AM
                  > when I
                  > awoke feeling cool...and, pulled one of the Jack's summer quilts over me
                  > that
                  > they had lent me to try. The combination worked perfectly and I was
                  > comfortable the rest of the night. I slept like a log and woke up with
                  > no back pain.
                  > It was better than being in bed except for being alone :^ )
                  > Dave...is there some way to vent the snugfit quilt in temps that are a
                  > bit higher?
                  > BTW, for those of you who missed the first Mid-Atlantic Hang, you
                  > missed
                  > a great time. Great people, great location, great weather and a great
                  > place
                  > to see all kinds of hammocks. The Jacks came with a bunch of different
                  > hammocks from different manufacturers and displayed their
                  > quilts/underquilts on
                  > each one, plus their new bridge hammock. There were also a bunch of one
                  > of a
                  > kind hammocks made of different material. Oh-No came with his cuben
                  > fiber
                  > tarp and his bamboo and cuben fiber backpack. They were really nifty.
                  > We are thinking of doing this again in the Spring...so, for those of
                  > you
                  > fairly close by, keep a look out on this board and Hammockforums.net/
                  > Best,
                  > Michael
                  > qpens

                • Cara Lin Bridgman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
                    Yes--unless 'cool' means below freezing.

                    CL (in Taiwan, where it isn't just the skeeters that party all night)

                    Ralph Oborn wrote:
                    > When it gets cool, do you really need a bugnet??
                    > Just asking?
                    >
                    > Ralph (in Idaho where the skeeters sleep at night)
                    >
                    > On 10/11/07, QPens@... <QPens@...> wrote:
                    >> I like the fact that I can still use my bugnet exactly the way I did
                    >> before.
                  • Scott Schroeder
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
                      Dave,
                      I know you addressed Michael, but this got my interest.
                      You may recall I asked about possible solution in regard to something I did
                      with the bridge hammock.
                      With an adjustable
                      bottom<http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1438>,
                      I think there could be a way to handle this.
                      If there was two layers, one could start the night off with thinner
                      insulation(first bottom), then when temperatures drop, reach up and pull up
                      the second bottom. Also, you could just pull up the foot end and leave the
                      head end 'open' or any combination. Perhaps the bottom most layer could be a
                      bit thinner (and lighter) with this setup.
                      Anyway, hopefully this winter I'll be able to play more with the
                      possibilities.

                      Scott

                    • QPens@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
                        Hi Dave,
                        Thanks for posting all of the different options for venting the Speer
                        Snugfit. I'll try each of them, but, as you said, it's really only necessary
                        in warmer weather. I was actually very comfortable that night once my body
                        cooled down and worked with the top quilt to vent. Thanks for designing such a
                        great underquilt.
                        Best,
                        Michael
                        qpens

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
                          Hey Scott,

                          What you are does look promising and reminds me a little bit of the
                          early approach Ray Garlington used with his undercover for his
                          Hennessy Hammock where he had a pull cord rigged so he could pull it
                          closed behind him after he got in his hammock. The last I recall Ray
                          was using a top loading hammock and putting a big bag of feathers in
                          his undercover for insulation and using all manner of accessories with
                          his hammock. I don't know if Ray still comes to this forum, I don't
                          recall him posting lately.

                          Like you said, you will learn more about how all that works this
                          winter and until you get out there with it and see how it does in
                          backpacking conditions you won't really know whether it solves more
                          problems than it creates. There is always that risk when you try
                          something new, I know I have had that experience many times but it is
                          part of the process. Good luck with it and let me know how it does.