Re: Best material for making quilts for use inside the hammock

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 9, 2007
      Rodney,

      I don't know that not using ripstop nylon with DWR would be a poor
      decision on your part or not with your synthetic insulation and your
      application. That is what I used for my projects based on cost,
      weight, water resistance, breatheability, and being down proof. I
      believe they typically calander(?sp) the ripstop nylon before they
      apply the DWR and that effects its feel as well as its breathability
      and how down proof it is.

      Having the right combination of breathability and water resistance for
      the fabric seems like a good thing to me. I see that as a balancing
      act where increasing breathability decreases water resistance and
      increasing water resistance decreases breathability. Ideally you
      would prefer very high breathability, very high water resistance, and
      very resistant to wind. But that combination doesn't occur in any
      single fabric so you have to make tradeoffs and realize that with
      existing fabrics that too much breathability and too much water
      resistance can be problematic... just as too little breathability and
      too little water resistance can also be problematic.

      What is this cocoon you mentioned and what were your experiences with
      the fabrics used with it?

      Dave
    • rghickma
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 12, 2007
        Dave,

        Good inputs, definitely gives me something to think about. I guess
        I should get some hang time in under some colder conditions to help
        better determine my needs.

        I made a cocoon based on Deb Weisenstein's design at:
        http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG

        I used 1.1 ripstop for the inside and 1.9 ripstop for the exterior
        and top, the material was great to work with, no issues sewing or
        sewing the insulation material into the seams. I was able to shape
        the insulation forming it to keep the desired shape without undue
        tension causing any collapse of the insulation when in place over
        the hammock.

        While I have no reviews of how my cocoon actually performs while out
        camping because I have not had a chance to try it in various weather
        conditions. I am approaching the fabric choices for the quilt(s)
        with a little more caution since I could end up with a large expense
        in materials and they will be inside the hammock making the feel of
        the fabric seem a bit more important.

        Material sources for the cocoon:
        - Ripstop fabrics were ordered from Ed Speer
        - Insulation material was ordered from thru-hiker.com

        /Rodney
      • Jon Davis
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2007
          When it comes to materials other than down loft does not equal
          insulative value. Think of foams, the more dense the foam tpically
          the higher the R value. With foams and often the hollow synthetic
          fibers the more dense it is the more small air pockets exist inside it
          that do not allow convection or conduction increasing the insulation
          value without lofting like down.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 16, 2007
            Jon,

            I understand what you are saying. What I didn't have a good
            understanding of was in reference to the various versions of
            insulation that Climashield sells
            http://www.climashield.com/products.php . They have their XP, HL, CL,
            and Combat versions. Their specs indicate that the HL is the highest
            lofting version and the XP has the most insulation per ounce... my
            question was why would you use anything other than the XP since it has
            the most insulation per ounce. Surely there are other tradeoffs
            because if there wasn't... why would you need anything other than the
            XP version? I was curious as to what those tradeoffs were. On their
            product pages, they list the same 4 applications for all four
            versions-- sleeping bags, outerwear, footwear, and gloves.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Davis" <kohburn@...> wrote:

            > When it comes to materials other than down loft does not equal
            > insulative value. Think of foams, the more dense the foam tpically
            > the higher the R value. With foams and often the hollow synthetic
            > fibers the more dense it is the more small air pockets exist inside it
            > that do not allow convection or conduction increasing the insulation
            > value without lofting like down.
            >

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Rodney,
            > >
            > > The 1.1 oz rip stop nylon with DWR is the standby for the down quilts
            > > I have made. I think that is what most of the DIY crowd uses unless
            > > they have some specific application where they want something more
            > > water resistance or want to see just how light they can make something
            > > with the lightest possible materials they can get their hands on.
            > >
            > > I haven't used synthetic insulation before. I am curious as to why
            > > you are using different types of insulation for the warm and cold
            > > weather quilts when you are using one layer on one and two layers on
            > > the other. I have looked at the Climashield and was a little puzzled
            > > with the different versions they had of it. They had one that had the
            > > best insulative value per ounce but it wasn't the highest lofting
            > > version. What do you gain by not using the best insulative value per
            > > ounce version?
            > >
            > > Dave Womble
            > > aka Youngblood 2000
            > > Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
            > > Winter Tarp

          • Jon Davis
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 16, 2007
              Ah, I understand your question better now.
              From what i can tell from the product information there is basicly a
              curve of increased weight, increased comfort, for the same
              insulation value. the most insulative being the xp then hl then cl,
              the combad seems to fit in somewhere between xp and hl because it is
              the lightest insulation but has a mid level warmth to weight ratio.

              light, soft, warm. pick 2

              :)

              > Jon,
              >
              > I understand what you are saying. What I didn't have a good
              > understanding of was in reference to the various versions of
              > insulation that Climashield sells
              > http://www.climashield.com/products.php . They have their XP, HL,
              CL,
              > and Combat versions. Their specs indicate that the HL is the
              highest
              > lofting version and the XP has the most insulation per ounce... my
              > question was why would you use anything other than the XP since it
              has
              > the most insulation per ounce. Surely there are other tradeoffs
              > because if there wasn't... why would you need anything other than
              the
              > XP version? I was curious as to what those tradeoffs were. On
              their
              > product pages, they list the same 4 applications for all four
              > versions-- sleeping bags, outerwear, footwear, and gloves.
              >
              > Dave Womble
              > aka Youngblood 2000
              > Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt,
              and
              > Winter Tarp
            • C C Wayah
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 16, 2007
                I'd be curious to know how each one compresses in the backpack for storage
                while hiking.
                Might be one is far too bulky????
                Rogene