Re: Best material for making quilts for use inside the hammock

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
      Rodney,

      The 1.1 oz rip stop nylon with DWR is the standby for the down quilts
      I have made. I think that is what most of the DIY crowd uses unless
      they have some specific application where they want something more
      water resistance or want to see just how light they can make something
      with the lightest possible materials they can get their hands on.

      I haven't used synthetic insulation before. I am curious as to why
      you are using different types of insulation for the warm and cold
      weather quilts when you are using one layer on one and two layers on
      the other. I have looked at the Climashield and was a little puzzled
      with the different versions they had of it. They had one that had the
      best insulative value per ounce but it wasn't the highest lofting
      version. What do you gain by not using the best insulative value per
      ounce version?

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood 2000
      Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
      Winter Tarp
    • rghickma
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
        Dave,

        Thank you for your inputs on the materials. If I don't get the DWR
        coating on my rip stop would I be making a poor decision?

        To address your question on insulation choicesÂ… I used the
        Climashield Combat for my cocoon and I really liked how it handled
        and stayed put. When making the cocoon it felt comfortable without
        being too much for warm weather. Then when looking at making a nice
        thick quilt for use in cold weather, I was thinking that I didn't
        want to have more than two layers of the insulation and that the
        best temperature rating would then be provided by the 5oz
        Climashield XP.

        So the short answer is, I am considering these combinations based on
        perceived comfort and that I have had my hands on one Climashield
        product as my only justification. I would be curious if there are
        other insulations that provide equal or better handling properties
        and better warmth that I should entertained.

        /Rodney
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 9, 2007
          Rodney,

          I don't know that not using ripstop nylon with DWR would be a poor
          decision on your part or not with your synthetic insulation and your
          application. That is what I used for my projects based on cost,
          weight, water resistance, breatheability, and being down proof. I
          believe they typically calander(?sp) the ripstop nylon before they
          apply the DWR and that effects its feel as well as its breathability
          and how down proof it is.

          Having the right combination of breathability and water resistance for
          the fabric seems like a good thing to me. I see that as a balancing
          act where increasing breathability decreases water resistance and
          increasing water resistance decreases breathability. Ideally you
          would prefer very high breathability, very high water resistance, and
          very resistant to wind. But that combination doesn't occur in any
          single fabric so you have to make tradeoffs and realize that with
          existing fabrics that too much breathability and too much water
          resistance can be problematic... just as too little breathability and
          too little water resistance can also be problematic.

          What is this cocoon you mentioned and what were your experiences with
          the fabrics used with it?

          Dave
        • rghickma
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 12, 2007
            Dave,

            Good inputs, definitely gives me something to think about. I guess
            I should get some hang time in under some colder conditions to help
            better determine my needs.

            I made a cocoon based on Deb Weisenstein's design at:
            http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG

            I used 1.1 ripstop for the inside and 1.9 ripstop for the exterior
            and top, the material was great to work with, no issues sewing or
            sewing the insulation material into the seams. I was able to shape
            the insulation forming it to keep the desired shape without undue
            tension causing any collapse of the insulation when in place over
            the hammock.

            While I have no reviews of how my cocoon actually performs while out
            camping because I have not had a chance to try it in various weather
            conditions. I am approaching the fabric choices for the quilt(s)
            with a little more caution since I could end up with a large expense
            in materials and they will be inside the hammock making the feel of
            the fabric seem a bit more important.

            Material sources for the cocoon:
            - Ripstop fabrics were ordered from Ed Speer
            - Insulation material was ordered from thru-hiker.com

            /Rodney
          • Jon Davis
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 15, 2007
              When it comes to materials other than down loft does not equal
              insulative value. Think of foams, the more dense the foam tpically
              the higher the R value. With foams and often the hollow synthetic
              fibers the more dense it is the more small air pockets exist inside it
              that do not allow convection or conduction increasing the insulation
              value without lofting like down.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 16, 2007
                Jon,

                I understand what you are saying. What I didn't have a good
                understanding of was in reference to the various versions of
                insulation that Climashield sells
                http://www.climashield.com/products.php . They have their XP, HL, CL,
                and Combat versions. Their specs indicate that the HL is the highest
                lofting version and the XP has the most insulation per ounce... my
                question was why would you use anything other than the XP since it has
                the most insulation per ounce. Surely there are other tradeoffs
                because if there wasn't... why would you need anything other than the
                XP version? I was curious as to what those tradeoffs were. On their
                product pages, they list the same 4 applications for all four
                versions-- sleeping bags, outerwear, footwear, and gloves.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Davis" <kohburn@...> wrote:

                > When it comes to materials other than down loft does not equal
                > insulative value. Think of foams, the more dense the foam tpically
                > the higher the R value. With foams and often the hollow synthetic
                > fibers the more dense it is the more small air pockets exist inside it
                > that do not allow convection or conduction increasing the insulation
                > value without lofting like down.
                >

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Rodney,
                > >
                > > The 1.1 oz rip stop nylon with DWR is the standby for the down quilts
                > > I have made. I think that is what most of the DIY crowd uses unless
                > > they have some specific application where they want something more
                > > water resistance or want to see just how light they can make something
                > > with the lightest possible materials they can get their hands on.
                > >
                > > I haven't used synthetic insulation before. I am curious as to why
                > > you are using different types of insulation for the warm and cold
                > > weather quilts when you are using one layer on one and two layers on
                > > the other. I have looked at the Climashield and was a little puzzled
                > > with the different versions they had of it. They had one that had the
                > > best insulative value per ounce but it wasn't the highest lofting
                > > version. What do you gain by not using the best insulative value per
                > > ounce version?
                > >
                > > Dave Womble
                > > aka Youngblood 2000
                > > Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
                > > Winter Tarp

              • Jon Davis
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 16, 2007
                  Ah, I understand your question better now.
                  From what i can tell from the product information there is basicly a
                  curve of increased weight, increased comfort, for the same
                  insulation value. the most insulative being the xp then hl then cl,
                  the combad seems to fit in somewhere between xp and hl because it is
                  the lightest insulation but has a mid level warmth to weight ratio.

                  light, soft, warm. pick 2

                  :)

                  > Jon,
                  >
                  > I understand what you are saying. What I didn't have a good
                  > understanding of was in reference to the various versions of
                  > insulation that Climashield sells
                  > http://www.climashield.com/products.php . They have their XP, HL,
                  CL,
                  > and Combat versions. Their specs indicate that the HL is the
                  highest
                  > lofting version and the XP has the most insulation per ounce... my
                  > question was why would you use anything other than the XP since it
                  has
                  > the most insulation per ounce. Surely there are other tradeoffs
                  > because if there wasn't... why would you need anything other than
                  the
                  > XP version? I was curious as to what those tradeoffs were. On
                  their
                  > product pages, they list the same 4 applications for all four
                  > versions-- sleeping bags, outerwear, footwear, and gloves.
                  >
                  > Dave Womble
                  > aka Youngblood 2000
                  > Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt,
                  and
                  > Winter Tarp
                • C C Wayah
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 16, 2007
                    I'd be curious to know how each one compresses in the backpack for storage
                    while hiking.
                    Might be one is far too bulky????
                    Rogene