Best material for making quilts for use inside the hammock

  • rghickma
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
      I am working up a concept quilt set for use inside my hammock.

      I plan to make a quilt set (pair of quilts that can be used
      individually or together):
      •Warm weather – One layer Climashield Combat
      •Cold weather – Two layers Climashield XP 1.2" (making 2.4")

      Assumptions:
      •Does not need to be as wide as the typical camping quilt kits on
      the market
      •Both quilts should have a foot pocket
      •Head end should be longer on sides to allow it to form around neck
      and over shoulders (when laying on back, since that is how I sleep)
      •I will add darts in various locations to make it more form fitting
      and promote it staying in place while sleeping

      Materials I am considering:
      Top – 1.9oz Ripstop
      Bottom – 1.1oz Ripstop or .9oz Taffeta
      Insulation – Listed above using continuous fiber materials

      Here is where my questions start:
      1) I have never used Taffeta, should I go with it for comfort and
      breath ability?
      2) Are there other considerations I am missing for using Taffeta
      over Ripstop?
      3) Are my assumptions aligned to the masses who have done a lot of
      hammock camping in various conditions?

      /Rodney
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
        Rodney,

        The 1.1 oz rip stop nylon with DWR is the standby for the down quilts
        I have made. I think that is what most of the DIY crowd uses unless
        they have some specific application where they want something more
        water resistance or want to see just how light they can make something
        with the lightest possible materials they can get their hands on.

        I haven't used synthetic insulation before. I am curious as to why
        you are using different types of insulation for the warm and cold
        weather quilts when you are using one layer on one and two layers on
        the other. I have looked at the Climashield and was a little puzzled
        with the different versions they had of it. They had one that had the
        best insulative value per ounce but it wasn't the highest lofting
        version. What do you gain by not using the best insulative value per
        ounce version?

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood 2000
        Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
        Winter Tarp
      • rghickma
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
          Dave,

          Thank you for your inputs on the materials. If I don't get the DWR
          coating on my rip stop would I be making a poor decision?

          To address your question on insulation choices… I used the
          Climashield Combat for my cocoon and I really liked how it handled
          and stayed put. When making the cocoon it felt comfortable without
          being too much for warm weather. Then when looking at making a nice
          thick quilt for use in cold weather, I was thinking that I didn't
          want to have more than two layers of the insulation and that the
          best temperature rating would then be provided by the 5oz
          Climashield XP.

          So the short answer is, I am considering these combinations based on
          perceived comfort and that I have had my hands on one Climashield
          product as my only justification. I would be curious if there are
          other insulations that provide equal or better handling properties
          and better warmth that I should entertained.

          /Rodney
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 9, 2007
            Rodney,

            I don't know that not using ripstop nylon with DWR would be a poor
            decision on your part or not with your synthetic insulation and your
            application. That is what I used for my projects based on cost,
            weight, water resistance, breatheability, and being down proof. I
            believe they typically calander(?sp) the ripstop nylon before they
            apply the DWR and that effects its feel as well as its breathability
            and how down proof it is.

            Having the right combination of breathability and water resistance for
            the fabric seems like a good thing to me. I see that as a balancing
            act where increasing breathability decreases water resistance and
            increasing water resistance decreases breathability. Ideally you
            would prefer very high breathability, very high water resistance, and
            very resistant to wind. But that combination doesn't occur in any
            single fabric so you have to make tradeoffs and realize that with
            existing fabrics that too much breathability and too much water
            resistance can be problematic... just as too little breathability and
            too little water resistance can also be problematic.

            What is this cocoon you mentioned and what were your experiences with
            the fabrics used with it?

            Dave
          • rghickma
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 12, 2007
              Dave,

              Good inputs, definitely gives me something to think about. I guess
              I should get some hang time in under some colder conditions to help
              better determine my needs.

              I made a cocoon based on Deb Weisenstein's design at:
              http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG

              I used 1.1 ripstop for the inside and 1.9 ripstop for the exterior
              and top, the material was great to work with, no issues sewing or
              sewing the insulation material into the seams. I was able to shape
              the insulation forming it to keep the desired shape without undue
              tension causing any collapse of the insulation when in place over
              the hammock.

              While I have no reviews of how my cocoon actually performs while out
              camping because I have not had a chance to try it in various weather
              conditions. I am approaching the fabric choices for the quilt(s)
              with a little more caution since I could end up with a large expense
              in materials and they will be inside the hammock making the feel of
              the fabric seem a bit more important.

              Material sources for the cocoon:
              - Ripstop fabrics were ordered from Ed Speer
              - Insulation material was ordered from thru-hiker.com

              /Rodney
            • Jon Davis
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 15, 2007
                When it comes to materials other than down loft does not equal
                insulative value. Think of foams, the more dense the foam tpically
                the higher the R value. With foams and often the hollow synthetic
                fibers the more dense it is the more small air pockets exist inside it
                that do not allow convection or conduction increasing the insulation
                value without lofting like down.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 16, 2007
                  Jon,

                  I understand what you are saying. What I didn't have a good
                  understanding of was in reference to the various versions of
                  insulation that Climashield sells
                  http://www.climashield.com/products.php . They have their XP, HL, CL,
                  and Combat versions. Their specs indicate that the HL is the highest
                  lofting version and the XP has the most insulation per ounce... my
                  question was why would you use anything other than the XP since it has
                  the most insulation per ounce. Surely there are other tradeoffs
                  because if there wasn't... why would you need anything other than the
                  XP version? I was curious as to what those tradeoffs were. On their
                  product pages, they list the same 4 applications for all four
                  versions-- sleeping bags, outerwear, footwear, and gloves.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Davis" <kohburn@...> wrote:

                  > When it comes to materials other than down loft does not equal
                  > insulative value. Think of foams, the more dense the foam tpically
                  > the higher the R value. With foams and often the hollow synthetic
                  > fibers the more dense it is the more small air pockets exist inside it
                  > that do not allow convection or conduction increasing the insulation
                  > value without lofting like down.
                  >

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Rodney,
                  > >
                  > > The 1.1 oz rip stop nylon with DWR is the standby for the down quilts
                  > > I have made. I think that is what most of the DIY crowd uses unless
                  > > they have some specific application where they want something more
                  > > water resistance or want to see just how light they can make something
                  > > with the lightest possible materials they can get their hands on.
                  > >
                  > > I haven't used synthetic insulation before. I am curious as to why
                  > > you are using different types of insulation for the warm and cold
                  > > weather quilts when you are using one layer on one and two layers on
                  > > the other. I have looked at the Climashield and was a little puzzled
                  > > with the different versions they had of it. They had one that had the
                  > > best insulative value per ounce but it wasn't the highest lofting
                  > > version. What do you gain by not using the best insulative value per
                  > > ounce version?
                  > >
                  > > Dave Womble
                  > > aka Youngblood 2000
                  > > Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
                  > > Winter Tarp

                • Jon Davis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 16, 2007
                    Ah, I understand your question better now.
                    From what i can tell from the product information there is basicly a
                    curve of increased weight, increased comfort, for the same
                    insulation value. the most insulative being the xp then hl then cl,
                    the combad seems to fit in somewhere between xp and hl because it is
                    the lightest insulation but has a mid level warmth to weight ratio.

                    light, soft, warm. pick 2

                    :)

                    > Jon,
                    >
                    > I understand what you are saying. What I didn't have a good
                    > understanding of was in reference to the various versions of
                    > insulation that Climashield sells
                    > http://www.climashield.com/products.php . They have their XP, HL,
                    CL,
                    > and Combat versions. Their specs indicate that the HL is the
                    highest
                    > lofting version and the XP has the most insulation per ounce... my
                    > question was why would you use anything other than the XP since it
                    has
                    > the most insulation per ounce. Surely there are other tradeoffs
                    > because if there wasn't... why would you need anything other than
                    the
                    > XP version? I was curious as to what those tradeoffs were. On
                    their
                    > product pages, they list the same 4 applications for all four
                    > versions-- sleeping bags, outerwear, footwear, and gloves.
                    >
                    > Dave Womble
                    > aka Youngblood 2000
                    > Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt,
                    and
                    > Winter Tarp
                  • C C Wayah
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 16, 2007
                      I'd be curious to know how each one compresses in the backpack for storage
                      while hiking.
                      Might be one is far too bulky????
                      Rogene