Re: Where do you keep your rucksack and equipment?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
      Another motivation for keeping boots particularly off the ground is
      animals. Porcupines, particularly like to chew on sweaty leather. If
      you live in an area with racoons, skunks and/or porcupines, they can be
      attracted by boots and other smelly stuff that might be in your pack.

      I had a good pair of boots chewed up pretty badly. From the tracks, it
      was probably a porcupine. This was in Vermont. In the southern areas,
      it's mainly racoons and skunks that you need to be aware of.
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
        Steve,

        That is great advise, you only have to have that happen once and you
        can be in a real jam.

        Along that line of things to avoid, another issue with footwear is
        when it drops below freezing. Then you have to keep them from
        freezing or keep them wide open so you can get your feet inside them
        if they freeze solid and try to warm them up with your feet inside
        them. I find it tricker to deal with footwear in sub-freezing
        temperatures since I started hammock camping. You got any advice on that.

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood 2000
        Winter Tarp.