RE: [Hammock Camping] Gila Wilderness trip report

  • Stuhr, Tim
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 3, 2007
      The SS is also designed to be a little tighter against the hammock. If
      you put an UQ between it and the hammock you will compress the down and
      decrease or completely wipe out its insulation value. I used a JRB Nest
      on the outside of my SS last winter successfully to 18 degrees but it
      was a little bit of a pain to get in and out of the hammock

      Tim (Stoikurt)

      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 3, 2007
        Tim,

        That sounds like a great way to do it and I know Ed Speer uses a vapor
        barrier at times between his hammock and peapod to get extra warmth.
        Sounds like your arrangement works about the same.

        I know what you mean about the conflict with bottom side insulation
        and bottom entry hammocks, I used one for the first year or so of my
        hammock camping until I tried Ed's hammock for a few minutes on the
        1st SEHHA backpacking trip... they were backpacking trips instead of
        campouts in earlier days. After that I was sold on the top entry
        approach with a removable bugnet and a decent size rectangular tarp.
        It is like a different world. I almost look forward to overnight
        rains as I tend to sleep better.

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood 2000
        Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
        Winter Tarp
      • Pat
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 4, 2007
          that was great sorry I emailed you I should have looked further.
          after reading that you have peaked my intrest up a bunch now.
          How do you train them to walk with you on trail and stay with you at
          night and not worry about them leaving you high and dry and packing
          stuff out for your self.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Ross"
          <jlross_tijeras@...> wrote:

          > Neither I, nor the goats, carried any food for them. They did carry
          > a couple liters of water, but they didn't drink it. I did. They
          > drank from stream crossings. They ate wild forage (pine needles,
          oak
          > leaves, twigs, flowers, weeds, etc, etc). They eat a little grass,
          > but not much. Having had a very good monsoon (rainy season) this
          > year, the Gila country is lush and green now. The goats really
          > thrived on this food, and actually gained weight during the trip.
          > When they are full grown (at about age 3) they will weigh 200-250
          > lb, and will be able to carry about 40 lb each on a trip like this.
          > There are several manufacturers of goat packing equipment. They
          make
          > little sawbuck pack saddles and panniers. A complete saddle/pannier
          > combo will cost about $200. The gear they need consists of a tarp,
          > leash for each of them, and a first aid kit. They sleep under the
          > tarp, the leashes allow me to control them when we're near a road
          or
          > other hazard, and we share the first aid kit.
          >
          > I bought these guys last year in June (for about $70 each), when
          > they were 3 mo old. At that age they were ready to wean, or switch
          > from milk to an adult hay/forage diet. I got them from a dairy.
          Each
> [...]
          (except
          > for wolves), and are wary of people.
          >
          > I transport them in a funky old trailer made from the bed of a
          > pickup truck, with a camper shell on it. The US Forest Service
          > office in this are has all kinds of strict regulations about using
          > pack animals in the wilderness and surrounding national forest.
          > These regulations are focused on keeping horses and mules from
          > destroying meadows where horse people camp all the time. Horses and
          > mules need grass and daily water, so certain areas tend to get
          > overused by them. With the goats I can camp anywhere, the rougher
          > the better. The forest service people I've run into have reacted in
          > various ways. The trail maintenance crews are glad to see them
          > eating stuff along the trails. The ranger in the pickup thought
          > there should be more of them out in the woods thinning out the
          > zillions of little trees that are growing like grass on the hills.
          > All the brush and little trees make for a lot of forest fire fuel
          > during dry weather. The district administrator didn't even come out
          > of her office to talk to me about it. She just told the
          receptionist
          > to hand me the official policy pamphlet on pack animals, which is
          > written for horses and mules. Typical bureaucracy BS. For anybody
          > who is interested in more packgoat info there's a good book on the
          > subject. "The Packgoat", by John Mionczynzki. There's also a yahoo
          > group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/packgoat/).
          >
          > We were along the northern edge of the wilderness. The roads into
          > this area are long and rough. The trails are poorly maintained,
          > rocky, and vague in places. This is very rough, remote country and
          > the nearest towns are pretty small and far apart. Civilization is
          > pretty sparse. About the only time many people are around is elk
          > season (Sept-Oct). The rest of the year it's almost empty. We took
          > the trail in from Willow Creek (about 30 miles east from Glenwood)
          > and hiked about 8 miles south and east to Clayton Mesa (near Turkey
          > Feather Pass and the Jerky Mountains). Elevation there is about
          7500
          > ft. We found later that there were lots more elk closer to the
          > trailhead, where the elevation was 8000-9000 ft. We saw elk, wild
          > turkeys, deer, a bear, and a bobcat. Great trip. Going back soon.
          >
          > Thanks for the tips and other hammock forum info.
          >

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, N Thomas <norvell1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am curious as to what supplies you carried for the goats. You
          > mentioned that they foraged, but what type of food or other items
          > did you carry for them? How much weight do you expect them to
          carry
          > when they fully mature? What type of pack/saddle/whatever did you
          > use for them? Did you transport them out there yourself? Any
          > problems from the park people?
          > >
          > > Nice pics. I am in central Texas and goats are a dime a dozen
          > here. I have pondered starting a herd for such activities, but am

        • Steve Bennett
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 4, 2007
            I remember when they were filming Broke Back Mountain up in Canda
            that there was an issue with having sheep up on the mountain as there
            was concern that they could pass some disease on to the indigenous
            animals in the area.

            I am not sure if they were concerned about direct contact with the
            sheep or wether it was something that was passed through their feces
            but I seem to recall they had to keep the sheep well contained and
            possibly had to clean up after them.

            Have you hear anything about this and do you know if it would also
            apply to goats?

> [...]
            > 7500
            > > ft. We found later that there were lots more elk closer to the
            > > trailhead, where the elevation was 8000-9000 ft. We saw elk, wild
            > > turkeys, deer, a bear, and a bobcat. Great trip. Going back soon.
            > >
            > > Thanks for the tips and other hammock forum info.
            > >

            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, N Thomas <norvell1@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I am curious as to what supplies you carried for the goats. You
            > > mentioned that they foraged, but what type of food or other items
            > > did you carry for them? How much weight do you expect them to
            > carry
            > > when they fully mature? What type of pack/saddle/whatever did you
            > > use for them? Did you transport them out there yourself? Any
            > > problems from the park people?
            > > >
            > > > Nice pics. I am in central Texas and goats are a dime a dozen
            > > here. I have pondered starting a herd for such activities, but am

          • Rat
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 16, 2007
              <jlross_tijeras@...> wrote:

              > Neither I, nor the goats, carried any food for them. They did
              carry
              > a couple liters of water,

              Hey Jeff, good to see another Goat Packer on the hammock forums. I
              have used goats as pack animals for years hunting Elk in Colorado. I
              have a brother and sister pair of Nubians, tweedle-dee and tweedle-
              dum, dum is a wether but not dehorned. They are getting a little
              long in the tooth now, over ten years old, but still going strong.
              They live in Colorado with a friend of mine, who I hunt with, he
              gets a lot more use out of them then I would in Texas. They have
              kived with him for several years now.

              I have never had any issues with mine being lazy, but I have heard
              of it as well with Nubians. I bought mine from a ranch that
              specializes in packgoats tho. They can be loud tho, Nubians are very
              vocal, especially if I leave them at camp for a hunt.

              I always pitch their tarp close to me so they can get under the
              hammock if they want to. Several nights they have woke me up kinda
              freaked out. I found bear tracks the next morning one time, but
              nothing on the others, I figured it was some predator out and about,
              but we have always been safe.

              I don't know if you have ever packed out Elk meat before, if you
              have then you know how hard it is, the endless trips back to the
              forest service road. That is where your kids will shine for ya, I
              can't tell you how much of a difference it makes.

              I will proly start looking for a new pair when I get home in Nov.
              Maybe some Toggs this time. My kids are only about 210 pounds, but
              they can carry 40-50 pounds all day with judicious rest stops. They
              rarely do, unless we get an Elk.

              One of these days I need to get back into Gila, I practically grew
              up there, but haven't been back since high school.

              Sounds like you are learning hammocking and goat packing at the same
              time. Sounds like fun:) Just wait until they learn to untie the
              panier straps!

              Rat
            • Jeff Ross
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 16, 2007
                Hi Rat. So far I've had no predator problems except domestic dogs on
                the trails. I had to bash one with my walking stick (a good reason to
                carry a real stick, not a fancy aluminum one). I worry more about
                wolves than anything in the Gila country. They aren't afraid of
                people, will attack dogs, and my goats would be very attractive to
                them. Mountain lions are also a concern, but they avoid people.

                If you decide to get new packgoats here's a link to a lady in CO who
                raises and sells packgoats. She knows her stuff and her animals are
                first rate.

                http://huffakerfarms.homestead.com/soap2.html