Re: [Hammock Camping] Where do you keep your rucksack and equipment?

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
      I put my sandals on the ground next to my pack. If it starts raining, I
      put them into the waterproof pack liner.

      Rick

      sjedwardson wrote:
      > I went hammock camping for the first time last weekend and absolutely
      > loved it. I only had one problem and that was where do I keep my
      > dirty boots and rucksack. I saw Ray Mears tie his to a tree but i
      > wondered if there was a better way. I would like to keep the boots and
      > rucksack off the ground so if it does rain they wont get wet from
      > water on the ground. All and any advice would be helpful. Thanks

      Walk Well!

      Rick (Risk)

      *********************************
      http://www.imrisk.com
      author of
      A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
      www.wayahpress.com
      *********************************
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
        Another motivation for keeping boots particularly off the ground is
        animals. Porcupines, particularly like to chew on sweaty leather. If
        you live in an area with racoons, skunks and/or porcupines, they can be
        attracted by boots and other smelly stuff that might be in your pack.

        I had a good pair of boots chewed up pretty badly. From the tracks, it
        was probably a porcupine. This was in Vermont. In the southern areas,
        it's mainly racoons and skunks that you need to be aware of.
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
          Steve,

          That is great advise, you only have to have that happen once and you
          can be in a real jam.

          Along that line of things to avoid, another issue with footwear is
          when it drops below freezing. Then you have to keep them from
          freezing or keep them wide open so you can get your feet inside them
          if they freeze solid and try to warm them up with your feet inside
          them. I find it tricker to deal with footwear in sub-freezing
          temperatures since I started hammock camping. You got any advice on that.

          Dave Womble
          aka Youngblood 2000
          Winter Tarp.