Re: Where do you keep your rucksack and equipment?

  • Jeff Ross
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
      I keep almost everything in my pack and lean it against one of the
      trees that my hammock is hanging from. I know which pockets and stuff
      sacks have which things, and I can close it up and keep critters like
      mice, chipmunks, jays, etc, out of it. Some things, like my boots, or
      camp shoes, are more convenient just tossed on the ground under the
      hammock. In wet weather I push my pack under my hammock. I've gone
      with a big tarp (10x10) over my hammock so that I have a big dry area
      to stash stuff or to sit under or cook when the weather gets wet.

      Depending on what kind of trees I'm hooked up to I can stash a lot of
      small things that I use frequently (toothbrush, silverware,
      flashlight, drinking cup) between the hammock straps and the bark of
      the tree or on twigs of the trees.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
        I put my sandals on the ground next to my pack. If it starts raining, I
        put them into the waterproof pack liner.

        Rick

        sjedwardson wrote:
        > I went hammock camping for the first time last weekend and absolutely
        > loved it. I only had one problem and that was where do I keep my
        > dirty boots and rucksack. I saw Ray Mears tie his to a tree but i
        > wondered if there was a better way. I would like to keep the boots and
        > rucksack off the ground so if it does rain they wont get wet from
        > water on the ground. All and any advice would be helpful. Thanks

        Walk Well!

        Rick (Risk)

        *********************************
        http://www.imrisk.com
        author of
        A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
        www.wayahpress.com
        *********************************
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
          Another motivation for keeping boots particularly off the ground is
          animals. Porcupines, particularly like to chew on sweaty leather. If
          you live in an area with racoons, skunks and/or porcupines, they can be
          attracted by boots and other smelly stuff that might be in your pack.

          I had a good pair of boots chewed up pretty badly. From the tracks, it
          was probably a porcupine. This was in Vermont. In the southern areas,
          it's mainly racoons and skunks that you need to be aware of.
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
            Steve,

            That is great advise, you only have to have that happen once and you
            can be in a real jam.

            Along that line of things to avoid, another issue with footwear is
            when it drops below freezing. Then you have to keep them from
            freezing or keep them wide open so you can get your feet inside them
            if they freeze solid and try to warm them up with your feet inside
            them. I find it tricker to deal with footwear in sub-freezing
            temperatures since I started hammock camping. You got any advice on that.

            Dave Womble
            aka Youngblood 2000
            Winter Tarp.