Re: [Hammock Camping] Where do you keep your rucksack and equipment?

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
      Everything goes in the pack (boots too, I use flip flops in camp) and
      the silnylon cover goes over pack.
      I then hang the pack from a tree.

      Works for me

      TV
    • Jeff Ross
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
        I keep almost everything in my pack and lean it against one of the
        trees that my hammock is hanging from. I know which pockets and stuff
        sacks have which things, and I can close it up and keep critters like
        mice, chipmunks, jays, etc, out of it. Some things, like my boots, or
        camp shoes, are more convenient just tossed on the ground under the
        hammock. In wet weather I push my pack under my hammock. I've gone
        with a big tarp (10x10) over my hammock so that I have a big dry area
        to stash stuff or to sit under or cook when the weather gets wet.

        Depending on what kind of trees I'm hooked up to I can stash a lot of
        small things that I use frequently (toothbrush, silverware,
        flashlight, drinking cup) between the hammock straps and the bark of
        the tree or on twigs of the trees.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
          I put my sandals on the ground next to my pack. If it starts raining, I
          put them into the waterproof pack liner.

          Rick

          sjedwardson wrote:
          > I went hammock camping for the first time last weekend and absolutely
          > loved it. I only had one problem and that was where do I keep my
          > dirty boots and rucksack. I saw Ray Mears tie his to a tree but i
          > wondered if there was a better way. I would like to keep the boots and
          > rucksack off the ground so if it does rain they wont get wet from
          > water on the ground. All and any advice would be helpful. Thanks

          Walk Well!

          Rick (Risk)

          *********************************
          http://www.imrisk.com
          author of
          A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
          www.wayahpress.com
          *********************************
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
            Another motivation for keeping boots particularly off the ground is
            animals. Porcupines, particularly like to chew on sweaty leather. If
            you live in an area with racoons, skunks and/or porcupines, they can be
            attracted by boots and other smelly stuff that might be in your pack.

            I had a good pair of boots chewed up pretty badly. From the tracks, it
            was probably a porcupine. This was in Vermont. In the southern areas,
            it's mainly racoons and skunks that you need to be aware of.
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
              Steve,

              That is great advise, you only have to have that happen once and you
              can be in a real jam.

              Along that line of things to avoid, another issue with footwear is
              when it drops below freezing. Then you have to keep them from
              freezing or keep them wide open so you can get your feet inside them
              if they freeze solid and try to warm them up with your feet inside
              them. I find it tricker to deal with footwear in sub-freezing
              temperatures since I started hammock camping. You got any advice on that.

              Dave Womble
              aka Youngblood 2000
              Winter Tarp.