RE: [Hammock Camping] Where do you keep your rucksack and equipment?

  • Stuhr, Tim
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
      Tie your boot laces together and just hang them over the hammock support
      line at either end of the hammock.

      Tim

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
        I use an open top hammock and I carry a plastic trash compactor bag,
        white in color will make it much easier to find items. I use it for
        multiple things but I usually empty my pack into it and set it where I
        can reach it from my hammock. If I want to keep my shoes off the
        ground I just place them on top of it where the ends are close off, it
        sits on the ground like an end table for me and it is water proof.

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood 2000
        Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt and
        Winter Tarp.
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
          Everything goes in the pack (boots too, I use flip flops in camp) and
          the silnylon cover goes over pack.
          I then hang the pack from a tree.

          Works for me

          TV
        • Jeff Ross
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
            I keep almost everything in my pack and lean it against one of the
            trees that my hammock is hanging from. I know which pockets and stuff
            sacks have which things, and I can close it up and keep critters like
            mice, chipmunks, jays, etc, out of it. Some things, like my boots, or
            camp shoes, are more convenient just tossed on the ground under the
            hammock. In wet weather I push my pack under my hammock. I've gone
            with a big tarp (10x10) over my hammock so that I have a big dry area
            to stash stuff or to sit under or cook when the weather gets wet.

            Depending on what kind of trees I'm hooked up to I can stash a lot of
            small things that I use frequently (toothbrush, silverware,
            flashlight, drinking cup) between the hammock straps and the bark of
            the tree or on twigs of the trees.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
              I put my sandals on the ground next to my pack. If it starts raining, I
              put them into the waterproof pack liner.

              Rick

              sjedwardson wrote:
              > I went hammock camping for the first time last weekend and absolutely
              > loved it. I only had one problem and that was where do I keep my
              > dirty boots and rucksack. I saw Ray Mears tie his to a tree but i
              > wondered if there was a better way. I would like to keep the boots and
              > rucksack off the ground so if it does rain they wont get wet from
              > water on the ground. All and any advice would be helpful. Thanks

              Walk Well!

              Rick (Risk)

              *********************************
              http://www.imrisk.com
              author of
              A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
              www.wayahpress.com
              *********************************
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                Another motivation for keeping boots particularly off the ground is
                animals. Porcupines, particularly like to chew on sweaty leather. If
                you live in an area with racoons, skunks and/or porcupines, they can be
                attracted by boots and other smelly stuff that might be in your pack.

                I had a good pair of boots chewed up pretty badly. From the tracks, it
                was probably a porcupine. This was in Vermont. In the southern areas,
                it's mainly racoons and skunks that you need to be aware of.
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                  Steve,

                  That is great advise, you only have to have that happen once and you
                  can be in a real jam.

                  Along that line of things to avoid, another issue with footwear is
                  when it drops below freezing. Then you have to keep them from
                  freezing or keep them wide open so you can get your feet inside them
                  if they freeze solid and try to warm them up with your feet inside
                  them. I find it tricker to deal with footwear in sub-freezing
                  temperatures since I started hammock camping. You got any advice on that.

                  Dave Womble
                  aka Youngblood 2000
                  Winter Tarp.