Re: [Hammock Camping] Where do you keep your rucksack and equipment?

  • Richard Perlman
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
      I was out this weekend, too, with my scout troop.

      I string a "clothes line" right underneath the ridge line of my tarp.

      Everything gets draped over or clipped to that line. The only
      thing on the ground are my Crocs and sit pad, which serves
      as a "door mat."

      Rich

      sjedwardson wrote:
      > I went hammock camping for the first time last weekend and absolutely
      > loved it. I only had one problem and that was where do I keep my
      > dirty boots and rucksack. I saw Ray Mears tie his to a tree but i
      > wondered if there was a better way. I would like to keep the boots and
      > rucksack off the ground so if it does rain they wont get wet from
      > water on the ground. All and any advice would be helpful. Thanks

    • Stuhr, Tim
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
        Tie your boot laces together and just hang them over the hammock support
        line at either end of the hammock.

        Tim

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
          I use an open top hammock and I carry a plastic trash compactor bag,
          white in color will make it much easier to find items. I use it for
          multiple things but I usually empty my pack into it and set it where I
          can reach it from my hammock. If I want to keep my shoes off the
          ground I just place them on top of it where the ends are close off, it
          sits on the ground like an end table for me and it is water proof.

          Dave Womble
          aka Youngblood 2000
          Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt and
          Winter Tarp.
        • Thomas Vickers
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
            Everything goes in the pack (boots too, I use flip flops in camp) and
            the silnylon cover goes over pack.
            I then hang the pack from a tree.

            Works for me

            TV
          • Jeff Ross
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
              I keep almost everything in my pack and lean it against one of the
              trees that my hammock is hanging from. I know which pockets and stuff
              sacks have which things, and I can close it up and keep critters like
              mice, chipmunks, jays, etc, out of it. Some things, like my boots, or
              camp shoes, are more convenient just tossed on the ground under the
              hammock. In wet weather I push my pack under my hammock. I've gone
              with a big tarp (10x10) over my hammock so that I have a big dry area
              to stash stuff or to sit under or cook when the weather gets wet.

              Depending on what kind of trees I'm hooked up to I can stash a lot of
              small things that I use frequently (toothbrush, silverware,
              flashlight, drinking cup) between the hammock straps and the bark of
              the tree or on twigs of the trees.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                I put my sandals on the ground next to my pack. If it starts raining, I
                put them into the waterproof pack liner.

                Rick

                sjedwardson wrote:
                > I went hammock camping for the first time last weekend and absolutely
                > loved it. I only had one problem and that was where do I keep my
                > dirty boots and rucksack. I saw Ray Mears tie his to a tree but i
                > wondered if there was a better way. I would like to keep the boots and
                > rucksack off the ground so if it does rain they wont get wet from
                > water on the ground. All and any advice would be helpful. Thanks

                Walk Well!

                Rick (Risk)

                *********************************
                http://www.imrisk.com
                author of
                A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                www.wayahpress.com
                *********************************
              • Steve
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                  Another motivation for keeping boots particularly off the ground is
                  animals. Porcupines, particularly like to chew on sweaty leather. If
                  you live in an area with racoons, skunks and/or porcupines, they can be
                  attracted by boots and other smelly stuff that might be in your pack.

                  I had a good pair of boots chewed up pretty badly. From the tracks, it
                  was probably a porcupine. This was in Vermont. In the southern areas,
                  it's mainly racoons and skunks that you need to be aware of.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                    Steve,

                    That is great advise, you only have to have that happen once and you
                    can be in a real jam.

                    Along that line of things to avoid, another issue with footwear is
                    when it drops below freezing. Then you have to keep them from
                    freezing or keep them wide open so you can get your feet inside them
                    if they freeze solid and try to warm them up with your feet inside
                    them. I find it tricker to deal with footwear in sub-freezing
                    temperatures since I started hammock camping. You got any advice on that.

                    Dave Womble
                    aka Youngblood 2000
                    Winter Tarp.