Re: Where do you keep your rucksack and equipment?

  • mrbyer
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
      I rig up my pack cover as a gear hammock which hangs right next to me.

      mrb

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"
      <sam.edwardson@...> wrote:

      > I went hammock camping for the first time last weekend and absolutely
      > loved it. I only had one problem and that was where do I keep my
      > dirty boots and rucksack. I saw Ray Mears tie his to a tree but i
      > wondered if there was a better way. I would like to keep the boots and
      > rucksack off the ground so if it does rain they wont get wet from
      > water on the ground. All and any advice would be helpful. Thanks

    • Richard Perlman
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
        I was out this weekend, too, with my scout troop.

        I string a "clothes line" right underneath the ridge line of my tarp.

        Everything gets draped over or clipped to that line. The only
        thing on the ground are my Crocs and sit pad, which serves
        as a "door mat."

        Rich

        sjedwardson wrote:
        > I went hammock camping for the first time last weekend and absolutely
        > loved it. I only had one problem and that was where do I keep my
        > dirty boots and rucksack. I saw Ray Mears tie his to a tree but i
        > wondered if there was a better way. I would like to keep the boots and
        > rucksack off the ground so if it does rain they wont get wet from
        > water on the ground. All and any advice would be helpful. Thanks

      • Stuhr, Tim
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
          Tie your boot laces together and just hang them over the hammock support
          line at either end of the hammock.

          Tim

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
            I use an open top hammock and I carry a plastic trash compactor bag,
            white in color will make it much easier to find items. I use it for
            multiple things but I usually empty my pack into it and set it where I
            can reach it from my hammock. If I want to keep my shoes off the
            ground I just place them on top of it where the ends are close off, it
            sits on the ground like an end table for me and it is water proof.

            Dave Womble
            aka Youngblood 2000
            Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt and
            Winter Tarp.
          • Thomas Vickers
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
              Everything goes in the pack (boots too, I use flip flops in camp) and
              the silnylon cover goes over pack.
              I then hang the pack from a tree.

              Works for me

              TV
            • Jeff Ross
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
                I keep almost everything in my pack and lean it against one of the
                trees that my hammock is hanging from. I know which pockets and stuff
                sacks have which things, and I can close it up and keep critters like
                mice, chipmunks, jays, etc, out of it. Some things, like my boots, or
                camp shoes, are more convenient just tossed on the ground under the
                hammock. In wet weather I push my pack under my hammock. I've gone
                with a big tarp (10x10) over my hammock so that I have a big dry area
                to stash stuff or to sit under or cook when the weather gets wet.

                Depending on what kind of trees I'm hooked up to I can stash a lot of
                small things that I use frequently (toothbrush, silverware,
                flashlight, drinking cup) between the hammock straps and the bark of
                the tree or on twigs of the trees.

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                  I put my sandals on the ground next to my pack. If it starts raining, I
                  put them into the waterproof pack liner.

                  Rick

                  sjedwardson wrote:
                  > I went hammock camping for the first time last weekend and absolutely
                  > loved it. I only had one problem and that was where do I keep my
                  > dirty boots and rucksack. I saw Ray Mears tie his to a tree but i
                  > wondered if there was a better way. I would like to keep the boots and
                  > rucksack off the ground so if it does rain they wont get wet from
                  > water on the ground. All and any advice would be helpful. Thanks

                  Walk Well!

                  Rick (Risk)

                  *********************************
                  http://www.imrisk.com
                  author of
                  A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                  www.wayahpress.com
                  *********************************
                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                    Another motivation for keeping boots particularly off the ground is
                    animals. Porcupines, particularly like to chew on sweaty leather. If
                    you live in an area with racoons, skunks and/or porcupines, they can be
                    attracted by boots and other smelly stuff that might be in your pack.

                    I had a good pair of boots chewed up pretty badly. From the tracks, it
                    was probably a porcupine. This was in Vermont. In the southern areas,
                    it's mainly racoons and skunks that you need to be aware of.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                      Steve,

                      That is great advise, you only have to have that happen once and you
                      can be in a real jam.

                      Along that line of things to avoid, another issue with footwear is
                      when it drops below freezing. Then you have to keep them from
                      freezing or keep them wide open so you can get your feet inside them
                      if they freeze solid and try to warm them up with your feet inside
                      them. I find it tricker to deal with footwear in sub-freezing
                      temperatures since I started hammock camping. You got any advice on that.

                      Dave Womble
                      aka Youngblood 2000
                      Winter Tarp.