Where do you keep your rucksack and equipment?

  • sjedwardson
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
      I went hammock camping for the first time last weekend and absolutely
      loved it. I only had one problem and that was where do I keep my
      dirty boots and rucksack. I saw Ray Mears tie his to a tree but i
      wondered if there was a better way. I would like to keep the boots and
      rucksack off the ground so if it does rain they wont get wet from
      water on the ground. All and any advice would be helpful. Thanks
    • mrbyer
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
        I rig up my pack cover as a gear hammock which hangs right next to me.

        mrb

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"
        <sam.edwardson@...> wrote:

        > I went hammock camping for the first time last weekend and absolutely
        > loved it. I only had one problem and that was where do I keep my
        > dirty boots and rucksack. I saw Ray Mears tie his to a tree but i
        > wondered if there was a better way. I would like to keep the boots and
        > rucksack off the ground so if it does rain they wont get wet from
        > water on the ground. All and any advice would be helpful. Thanks

      • Richard Perlman
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
          I was out this weekend, too, with my scout troop.

          I string a "clothes line" right underneath the ridge line of my tarp.

          Everything gets draped over or clipped to that line. The only
          thing on the ground are my Crocs and sit pad, which serves
          as a "door mat."

          Rich

          sjedwardson wrote:
          > I went hammock camping for the first time last weekend and absolutely
          > loved it. I only had one problem and that was where do I keep my
          > dirty boots and rucksack. I saw Ray Mears tie his to a tree but i
          > wondered if there was a better way. I would like to keep the boots and
          > rucksack off the ground so if it does rain they wont get wet from
          > water on the ground. All and any advice would be helpful. Thanks

        • Stuhr, Tim
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
            Tie your boot laces together and just hang them over the hammock support
            line at either end of the hammock.

            Tim

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
              I use an open top hammock and I carry a plastic trash compactor bag,
              white in color will make it much easier to find items. I use it for
              multiple things but I usually empty my pack into it and set it where I
              can reach it from my hammock. If I want to keep my shoes off the
              ground I just place them on top of it where the ends are close off, it
              sits on the ground like an end table for me and it is water proof.

              Dave Womble
              aka Youngblood 2000
              Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt and
              Winter Tarp.
            • Thomas Vickers
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
                Everything goes in the pack (boots too, I use flip flops in camp) and
                the silnylon cover goes over pack.
                I then hang the pack from a tree.

                Works for me

                TV
              • Jeff Ross
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
                  I keep almost everything in my pack and lean it against one of the
                  trees that my hammock is hanging from. I know which pockets and stuff
                  sacks have which things, and I can close it up and keep critters like
                  mice, chipmunks, jays, etc, out of it. Some things, like my boots, or
                  camp shoes, are more convenient just tossed on the ground under the
                  hammock. In wet weather I push my pack under my hammock. I've gone
                  with a big tarp (10x10) over my hammock so that I have a big dry area
                  to stash stuff or to sit under or cook when the weather gets wet.

                  Depending on what kind of trees I'm hooked up to I can stash a lot of
                  small things that I use frequently (toothbrush, silverware,
                  flashlight, drinking cup) between the hammock straps and the bark of
                  the tree or on twigs of the trees.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                    I put my sandals on the ground next to my pack. If it starts raining, I
                    put them into the waterproof pack liner.

                    Rick

                    sjedwardson wrote:
                    > I went hammock camping for the first time last weekend and absolutely
                    > loved it. I only had one problem and that was where do I keep my
                    > dirty boots and rucksack. I saw Ray Mears tie his to a tree but i
                    > wondered if there was a better way. I would like to keep the boots and
                    > rucksack off the ground so if it does rain they wont get wet from
                    > water on the ground. All and any advice would be helpful. Thanks

                    Walk Well!

                    Rick (Risk)

                    *********************************
                    http://www.imrisk.com
                    author of
                    A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                    www.wayahpress.com
                    *********************************
                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                      Another motivation for keeping boots particularly off the ground is
                      animals. Porcupines, particularly like to chew on sweaty leather. If
                      you live in an area with racoons, skunks and/or porcupines, they can be
                      attracted by boots and other smelly stuff that might be in your pack.

                      I had a good pair of boots chewed up pretty badly. From the tracks, it
                      was probably a porcupine. This was in Vermont. In the southern areas,
                      it's mainly racoons and skunks that you need to be aware of.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                        Steve,

                        That is great advise, you only have to have that happen once and you
                        can be in a real jam.

                        Along that line of things to avoid, another issue with footwear is
                        when it drops below freezing. Then you have to keep them from
                        freezing or keep them wide open so you can get your feet inside them
                        if they freeze solid and try to warm them up with your feet inside
                        them. I find it tricker to deal with footwear in sub-freezing
                        temperatures since I started hammock camping. You got any advice on that.

                        Dave Womble
                        aka Youngblood 2000
                        Winter Tarp.