Re: [Hammock Camping] Gila Wilderness trip report

    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 1, 2007
      jeff... i've herd more people say that the hh super shelter did not live up to thier expectations than those that were happy w/ them.
      under quilts seem to be one of the best solutions.
      check out http://hammockforums.net for more hammock camping info than you can shake a stick at. ...tim

      Jeff Ross <jlross_tijeras@...> wrote:
      Just got back from a week in the Gila Wilderness (SW NM). Hiked in
      (with packgoats) about 8 miles to friends' elk hunting camp. Very
      remote, trails faint and rough. Beautiful weather, days 70's, nites
      40's, a little rain, hunting unsuccessful. Saw some big bull elk,
      just couldn't get close enough. Saw only 2 other hunters. Spent 7
      nites in my Hennessy Expedition Asym.

      What worked:
      ------------
      Goats. They are only a year and half old so they can't carry much
      yet. But they did carry about 30lb (10lb of stuff for them, and 20lb
      of my stuff) between the 3 of them. Next year they will be able to
      carry about 40 lb each. That way I can bring in a few more basic
      essentials (beer, steaks, lawn chairs, etc). They slept under an
      8x10 tarp, ate weeds, flowers, pine needles, drank from the stream.
      No problems. I think coyotes got close one nite and I found them
      sleeping under my hammock the next morning. Otherwise they were in
      heaven and had a wonderful time.

      Hammock. Pretty comfy. I'm 6-3, 200 lb and this hammock is just
      barely big enough. I would like to have a bit more foot room. But
      all in all, quite comfortable. Sure beats sleeping on the ground.

      Alcohol stove. Homemade from a couple of cat food cans. Used Walmart
      91% isopropyl as fuel. Works good.

      MSR Miniworks water filter. Water was clear and clean looking, but
      you never can tell. I like this filter because I can clean it when
      it gets clogged. There are certainly lighter filters, but this one
      is rugged and easy to maintain.

      What didn't work:
      -----------------
      Hammock rainfly is minimal. I hear their new ones are bigger. I
      wound up using a 10x10 nylon tarp from Campmore. That worked fine.
      Now there's plenty of dry room under the hammock for my pack, boots,
      etc. (even goats).

      Hammock "undercover" is minimal. It's a very thin layer of foam
      that's cleverly suspended beneath the hammock. Maybe better than
      nothing, but not much. I used my big old Thermarest Camprest
      mattress inside the hammock, under my sleeping bag. Not cold from
      below any more. It would be nice to find a way to secure this thing
      inside the hammock so it doesn't slide around tho. I tied a string
      around the inlet valve and ran that thru the end of the hammock.
      Thrashing around on it one nite I pulled the inlet valve out of it.
      Not good. I think I fixed it tho.

      Sleeping bag. I used a Slumberjack bag containing something
      called "polar guard" that's rated for 20 degrees. HA! I don't know
      if other sleeping bag mfgrs ratings are so overstated, but that one
      sure is. I used my rain jacket as a blanket to cover my feet, and
      wore pants, two shirts, two pairs of socks. Then I was pretty warm.
      In freezing weather I would have been cold.

      Here are a few pics:

      http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/gila_dog/gilatrailhead.jpg
      http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/gila_dog/lenwgoats.jpg
      http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/gila_dog/gilatrip1.jpg
      http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/gila_dog/claytoncreek.jpg
      http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/gila_dog/stormcomin.jpg

    • Jeff Ross
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 1, 2007
        Neither I, nor the goats, carried any food for them. They did carry
        a couple liters of water, but they didn't drink it. I did. They
        drank from stream crossings. They ate wild forage (pine needles, oak
        leaves, twigs, flowers, weeds, etc, etc). They eat a little grass,
        but not much. Having had a very good monsoon (rainy season) this
        year, the Gila country is lush and green now. The goats really
        thrived on this food, and actually gained weight during the trip.
        When they are full grown (at about age 3) they will weigh 200-250
        lb, and will be able to carry about 40 lb each on a trip like this.
        There are several manufacturers of goat packing equipment. They make
        little sawbuck pack saddles and panniers. A complete saddle/pannier
        combo will cost about $200. The gear they need consists of a tarp, a
        leash for each of them, and a first aid kit. They sleep under the
        tarp, the leashes allow me to control them when we're near a road or
        other hazard, and we share the first aid kit.

        I bought these guys last year in June (for about $70 each), when
        they were 3 mo old. At that age they were ready to wean, or switch
        from milk to an adult hay/forage diet. I got them from a dairy. Each
        year the dairies have lots of little billy goats they just want rid
        of. Since then I've taken them camping and hiking a lot. At about 7
        months old I had them castrated by the vet. By that time they were
        stinking and fighting and I just about couldn't stand them any more.
        After their "attitude adjustment" procedure, they quit stinking and
        became mellow good natured guys. I waited that long before having
        them castrated so their urinary tract equipment would mature as much
        as possible. This is important because wethers (neutered male goats)
        can have problems with urinary stones, that can kill them. But for
        the most part they are very healthy animals. They will live and work
        for 12-15 years. For packgoats you want goats that are big and
        athletic. Avoid Nubians. They have a reputation for laziness. Mine
        are Saanen and Oberhasli. Alpines, Toggenburgs, and La Manchas are
        also popular.

        They I have had to learn a lot. Behaving on a leash, hopping in and
        out of the trailer, trail and camp manners, etc. They need a small
        shed and a pen or pasture with a GOOD fence. Goats are not easy to
        contain, and they are very vulnerable to predators, especially dogs.
        The more you can take them out to forage the better, but if you
        don't have the time, hay and a little grain will do. They aren't
        much trouble to keep, about like dogs. A lot less trouble and
        expense than horses or mules. They stay right with me while hiking,
        and just quietly hang around camp. If they start making noise
        there's something wrong (predators, forest fire, sasquach, UFOs,
        etc). I don't have to worry about them running off. Sometimes I have
        to zing a pine cone or stick at one when he gets too nosey around
        the cooking area, tho.

        I do worry about predators such as mountain lions, coyotes, bears,
        and wolves. But the boys stay close to me all the time. And if
        something scares them they come running to me. They are alert in the
        boondocks, and know they are prey. I put up their tarp near my
        hammock so they bed down close by. Predators here are hunted (except
        for wolves), and are wary of people.

        I transport them in a funky old trailer made from the bed of a
        pickup truck, with a camper shell on it. The US Forest Service
        office in this are has all kinds of strict regulations about using
        pack animals in the wilderness and surrounding national forest.
        These regulations are focused on keeping horses and mules from
        destroying meadows where horse people camp all the time. Horses and
        mules need grass and daily water, so certain areas tend to get
        overused by them. With the goats I can camp anywhere, the rougher
        the better. The forest service people I've run into have reacted in
        various ways. The trail maintenance crews are glad to see them
        eating stuff along the trails. The ranger in the pickup thought
        there should be more of them out in the woods thinning out the
        zillions of little trees that are growing like grass on the hills.
        All the brush and little trees make for a lot of forest fire fuel
        during dry weather. The district administrator didn't even come out
        of her office to talk to me about it. She just told the receptionist
        to hand me the official policy pamphlet on pack animals, which is
        written for horses and mules. Typical bureaucracy BS. For anybody
        who is interested in more packgoat info there's a good book on the
        subject. "The Packgoat", by John Mionczynzki. There's also a yahoo
        group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/packgoat/).

        We were along the northern edge of the wilderness. The roads into
        this area are long and rough. The trails are poorly maintained,
        rocky, and vague in places. This is very rough, remote country and
        the nearest towns are pretty small and far apart. Civilization is
        pretty sparse. About the only time many people are around is elk
        season (Sept-Oct). The rest of the year it's almost empty. We took
        the trail in from Willow Creek (about 30 miles east from Glenwood)
        and hiked about 8 miles south and east to Clayton Mesa (near Turkey
        Feather Pass and the Jerky Mountains). Elevation there is about 7500
        ft. We found later that there were lots more elk closer to the
        trailhead, where the elevation was 8000-9000 ft. We saw elk, wild
        turkeys, deer, a bear, and a bobcat. Great trip. Going back soon.

        Thanks for the tips and other hammock forum info.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, N Thomas <norvell1@...> wrote:

        > I am curious as to what supplies you carried for the goats. You
        mentioned that they foraged, but what type of food or other items
        did you carry for them? How much weight do you expect them to carry
        when they fully mature? What type of pack/saddle/whatever did you
        use for them? Did you transport them out there yourself? Any
        problems from the park people?

        > Nice pics. I am in central Texas and goats are a dime a dozen
        here. I have pondered starting a herd for such activities, but am
        curious about the overall effort.

      • Frank Looper
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 2, 2007
          Mark me as one who's happy with the Supershelter. I've only been down to 50
          degrees so far, but when it gets cooler, I've got evazote foam to stick
          between the OC pad and the hammock. Even just the undercover warmed it up
          some, without even using the pad. When it gets below 30 down here, I plan on
          getting a nest or no sniveler to go along with the SS, and I'll have a true
          4-season setup.

          Being a warm sleeper--very warm, actually, I expect this to get me down as
          low as I'm comfortable camping. Last year, I was caught twice in very cold,
          windy weather. Once on the FHT in December, with 10F temps and high wind and
          once at Tray Mtn Shelter on the AT in February with near 0F temps and high
          wind. In both cases I had a 30 degree bag, and though I was uncomfortable, I
          didn't freeze, and I slept right through the night with no problems.
          Therefore, I may not be a "normal" case, but I expect a SS and a 3-season
          underquilt to do me year round. The SS is much lighter than any quilt that
          I've thought of buying, and I'm thrilled with it. The SS and my UL
          Backpacker Asym weigh less than my old Exped Asym did by itself, and the
          comfort level is amazing to me. At 50 degrees last night, I only had a
          fleece blanket over me and was dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. Way, way
          cool. :-)

          Frank

          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 3, 2007
            Frank,

            I had always thought of the Super Shelter to be at its best in windy
            environments because the bottom is made of silnylon. The tradeoff
            with that since it is waterproof and it encloses the whole bottom side
            of the hammock, is that the inside surface of it and any insulation
            inside it will be a more susceptible to condensation buildup from
            insensible perspiration. And if you don't handle that well,
            especially in calm conditions, it can be a nuisance.

            I recently designed the SnugFit Underquilt which has down insulation
            and breathable shells for hammocks and I would be concerned about
            putting it inside a silnylon shell like the Super Shelter. It may work
            fine for you or you may not like the combination of underquilt and
            Super Shelter. Starting off with a Super Shelter, I can see where one
            would think that a underquilt would compliment it in cooler weather as
            additional insulation neatly tucked inside. But starting off with my
            SnugFit Underquilt, I would be fearful of complimenting it with a
            Super Shelter because of the breatheability versus condensation issue
            as well as down compression issues. Does that make sense... it is a
            troublesome marriage from an underquilts point of view because an
            underquilt tries very hard to be breathable enough to avoid
            condensation buildup and a well designed underquilt avoids down
            compression issues like the plague. <grin>

            Dave Womble
            aka Youngblood 2000
            Winter Tarp
          • Stuhr, Tim
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 3, 2007
              The SS is also designed to be a little tighter against the hammock. If
              you put an UQ between it and the hammock you will compress the down and
              decrease or completely wipe out its insulation value. I used a JRB Nest
              on the outside of my SS last winter successfully to 18 degrees but it
              was a little bit of a pain to get in and out of the hammock

              Tim (Stoikurt)

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 3, 2007
                Tim,

                That sounds like a great way to do it and I know Ed Speer uses a vapor
                barrier at times between his hammock and peapod to get extra warmth.
                Sounds like your arrangement works about the same.

                I know what you mean about the conflict with bottom side insulation
                and bottom entry hammocks, I used one for the first year or so of my
                hammock camping until I tried Ed's hammock for a few minutes on the
                1st SEHHA backpacking trip... they were backpacking trips instead of
                campouts in earlier days. After that I was sold on the top entry
                approach with a removable bugnet and a decent size rectangular tarp.
                It is like a different world. I almost look forward to overnight
                rains as I tend to sleep better.

                Dave Womble
                aka Youngblood 2000
                Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
                Winter Tarp
              • Pat
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 4, 2007
                  that was great sorry I emailed you I should have looked further.
                  after reading that you have peaked my intrest up a bunch now.
                  How do you train them to walk with you on trail and stay with you at
                  night and not worry about them leaving you high and dry and packing
                  stuff out for your self.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Ross"
                  <jlross_tijeras@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  7500
                  > ft. We found later that there were lots more elk closer to the
                  > trailhead, where the elevation was 8000-9000 ft. We saw elk, wild
                  > turkeys, deer, a bear, and a bobcat. Great trip. Going back soon.
                  >
                  > Thanks for the tips and other hammock forum info.
                  >

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, N Thomas <norvell1@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I am curious as to what supplies you carried for the goats. You
                  > mentioned that they foraged, but what type of food or other items
                  > did you carry for them? How much weight do you expect them to
                  carry
                  > when they fully mature? What type of pack/saddle/whatever did you
                  > use for them? Did you transport them out there yourself? Any
                  > problems from the park people?
                  > >
                  > > Nice pics. I am in central Texas and goats are a dime a dozen
                  > here. I have pondered starting a herd for such activities, but am

                • Steve Bennett
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 4, 2007
                    I remember when they were filming Broke Back Mountain up in Canda
                    that there was an issue with having sheep up on the mountain as there
                    was concern that they could pass some disease on to the indigenous
                    animals in the area.

                    I am not sure if they were concerned about direct contact with the
                    sheep or wether it was something that was passed through their feces
                    but I seem to recall they had to keep the sheep well contained and
                    possibly had to clean up after them.

                    Have you hear anything about this and do you know if it would also
                    apply to goats?

> [...]
                    > 7500
                    > > ft. We found later that there were lots more elk closer to the
                    > > trailhead, where the elevation was 8000-9000 ft. We saw elk, wild
                    > > turkeys, deer, a bear, and a bobcat. Great trip. Going back soon.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the tips and other hammock forum info.
                    > >

                    > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, N Thomas <norvell1@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I am curious as to what supplies you carried for the goats. You
                    > > mentioned that they foraged, but what type of food or other items
                    > > did you carry for them? How much weight do you expect them to
                    > carry
                    > > when they fully mature? What type of pack/saddle/whatever did you
                    > > use for them? Did you transport them out there yourself? Any
                    > > problems from the park people?
                    > > >
                    > > > Nice pics. I am in central Texas and goats are a dime a dozen
                    > > here. I have pondered starting a herd for such activities, but am

                  • Rat
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 16, 2007
                      <jlross_tijeras@...> wrote:

                      > Neither I, nor the goats, carried any food for them. They did
                      carry
                      > a couple liters of water,

                      Hey Jeff, good to see another Goat Packer on the hammock forums. I
                      have used goats as pack animals for years hunting Elk in Colorado. I
                      have a brother and sister pair of Nubians, tweedle-dee and tweedle-
                      dum, dum is a wether but not dehorned. They are getting a little
                      long in the tooth now, over ten years old, but still going strong.
                      They live in Colorado with a friend of mine, who I hunt with, he
                      gets a lot more use out of them then I would in Texas. They have
                      kived with him for several years now.

                      I have never had any issues with mine being lazy, but I have heard
                      of it as well with Nubians. I bought mine from a ranch that
                      specializes in packgoats tho. They can be loud tho, Nubians are very
                      vocal, especially if I leave them at camp for a hunt.

                      I always pitch their tarp close to me so they can get under the
                      hammock if they want to. Several nights they have woke me up kinda
                      freaked out. I found bear tracks the next morning one time, but
                      nothing on the others, I figured it was some predator out and about,
                      but we have always been safe.

                      I don't know if you have ever packed out Elk meat before, if you
                      have then you know how hard it is, the endless trips back to the
                      forest service road. That is where your kids will shine for ya, I
                      can't tell you how much of a difference it makes.

                      I will proly start looking for a new pair when I get home in Nov.
                      Maybe some Toggs this time. My kids are only about 210 pounds, but
                      they can carry 40-50 pounds all day with judicious rest stops. They
                      rarely do, unless we get an Elk.

                      One of these days I need to get back into Gila, I practically grew
                      up there, but haven't been back since high school.

                      Sounds like you are learning hammocking and goat packing at the same
                      time. Sounds like fun:) Just wait until they learn to untie the
                      panier straps!

                      Rat
                    • Jeff Ross
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 16, 2007
                        Hi Rat. So far I've had no predator problems except domestic dogs on
                        the trails. I had to bash one with my walking stick (a good reason to
                        carry a real stick, not a fancy aluminum one). I worry more about
                        wolves than anything in the Gila country. They aren't afraid of
                        people, will attack dogs, and my goats would be very attractive to
                        them. Mountain lions are also a concern, but they avoid people.

                        If you decide to get new packgoats here's a link to a lady in CO who
                        raises and sells packgoats. She knows her stuff and her animals are
                        first rate.

                        http://huffakerfarms.homestead.com/soap2.html