[Hammock Camping] Re: Bridge Hammock ...is it comfortable?

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 25, 2007

      If you have a 20" wide Exped-7, it will fit into the sleeve of a SPE
      and you can use the wings to effectively extend the width. I use a
      SPE when I use my 20" wide Exped-7 but don't use anything with my
      large Stephenson DAM that is 28" at its widest... except for the
      10"x20" ccf pad that I use under it to keep it from sliding so easily
      against the hammock bed.

      I found these large pads to be warm and comfy. They affect the lay of
      the hammock, basically reducing shoulder squeeze and knee
      hyper-extension while providing the ultimate in cushioning. Your
      knees drop some if the mat isn't fully inflated because your heels
      sink a little, with the 4+ inch thick Stephenson DAM you can hang your
      heels off the end and get even more heel drop. With either one of
      those DAMs, I just laugh at hard shelter floors and they probably make
      hard shelter floors as comfortable, if not more for some folks, than a
      nice hammock... you are flat, have no shoulder squeeze and have plenty
      of cushioning.

      But, they are not without some negative tradeoffs as well and those
      are significant enough to consider before you think the DAMs are
      perfect in every way. The first negative tradeoff I noticed was what
      a pain they are to inflate and deflate in a hammock environment...
      especially when it is very cold, which is where they excel in keeping
      you warm.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood 2000
      Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt

      > i believe the exped 7 i have is about 23" wide inflated. it does
      keep the hammock walls spread really well. at times i wouldn't mind a
      few more inches width in cold weather so there would be more room for
      the quilt's full loft.
      > i may be trying a warmlight DAM soon. it's a little wider.
      > milwaukee_son <milwaukee_son@...> wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner wrote:
      > >

      > > i have to say, in my hammock i'm so close to flat that the slight
      curve is hard for me to
      > detect. i need to get someone to check it w/ a line.
      > > i use a different method than most... narrow hammock, hung w/ not
      much sag. i also
      > use a DAM, softly inflated to conform.
      > >
      > Tim, I've seen pictures of you in your hammock. How wide is your
      DAM? How effective is it at