Re: [Hammock Camping] Hanging as a couple

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
      Ralph,

      I think that packing scouts in versus packing AT thru hikers in versus
      packing SEHHA campers in... well, it might require a little tweaking
      of the 'rules'. <grin>

      Of course in the right situation where the tradeoffs dictate it, then
      it would be the hell with the 'rules' and let's just do it the way the
      scouts or the AT thru hikers do. Hint: one of the 'rules' at the
      SEHHA campout is that Ed and I get together for a burger and a beer at
      the Paddler's Pub for lunch on Friday, after a grueling 1/4 mile walk
      from the campground. Breakfast is usually a 1/2 mile walk to the
      Smoky Mountain Diner, and some folks like to catch an early dinner
      before driving across the street to their reservations at the hot tubs
      on Friday night. We probably do a few things a little different than
      your scouts.

      Dave

      > On 9/24/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I played with that Ralph. I forget how much separation I needed but
      > > the bottom hammock was about on the ground and you didn't have much
      > > headroom.
      >

      > I was thinking of the SEHHHA meetings where trees get scace. :]
      > Four hammocks on two trees. :]
      >
      > But last time I suggested it I got flamed (gently).
      >

      > Last Friday I took my scouts out for an easy backpack along the Portnuef
      > River near Pocatello.
      > 4 scouts, 4 adults, 5 hammocks, three ground dwellers.
      >
      > Any way there are a few really large willows along the river so you
      can do a
      > single tree hang from branch to branch of the same tree. I suppose
      you could
      > also do a side by side by side hang with three or more?
      >
      > There was also one long sturdy horizontal branch where I was doing a
      single
      > branch hang
      >
      > Ralph
      >

      > On 9/24/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I played with that Ralph. I forget how much separation I needed but
      > > the bottom hammock was about on the ground and you didn't have much
      > > headroom. The top hammock was almost too high to get in. Then there
      > > is that issue of overnight stretch which will complicate things even
      > > more as one or more of the hammocks dropped six inches or so. Of
      > > course, I'm talking top entry hammocks without bugnets attached. One
      > > thing noticeable was the warmth you got from the other body, either on
      > > top or on bottom. It wasn't the kind of setup I wanted as a couple as
      > > it wasn't particularly cozy or inviting, in my opinion, and you
      > > certainly hoped the person in the top hammock didn't have gas. But
      > > there could be some situations where that would be good to use.
      > >
      > > Dave
      > >

      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@>
      > > wrote:

      here is

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
        With a wide tree, it is easy to do this with two hammocks, next to each
        other:

        http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultradoublehammock.htm

        The secret is to tie the hammock on the side of the tree instead of the
        midline.

        Risk

        Ralph Oborn wrote:
        > On 9/24/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
        >> We are getting off on another topic so I started a new one... here is
        >> a direct link to Tim's photos of 3 hammocks to 4 trees
        >

        > two trees two hammocks should be possible one on top of the other (Think
        > Gilligan and the skipper or two bunks) :]
        >
        > Maybe three or four even..
        >
        > Ralph

        Walk Well!

        Rick (Risk)

        *********************************
        http://www.imrisk.com
        author of
        A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
        www.wayahpress.com
        *********************************

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
            good to hear from ya rick. ...tim

            Rick <ra1@...> wrote: With a wide tree, it is easy to do this with two hammocks, next to each

            Ralph Oborn wrote:
            > On 9/24/07, Dave Womble wrote:
            >> We are getting off on another topic so I started a new one... here is
            >> a direct link to Tim's photos of 3 hammocks to 4 trees
            >

            > two trees two hammocks should be possible one on top of the other (Think
            > Gilligan and the skipper or two bunks) :]
            >
            > Maybe three or four even..
            >
            > Ralph

            Walk Well!

            Rick (Risk)

            *********************************

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 26, 2007
              Tim,

              I read the list almost every day. I just have not had much to say
              recently.

              Rick

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 26, 2007
                Rick,

                Nice to see you posting every now and then.

                Dave

                PS... Did I see J.D. post something recently?