Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Bridge Hammock ...is it comfortable?

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 25, 2007
      i believe the exped 7 i have is about 23" wide inflated. it does keep the hammock walls spread really well. at times i wouldn't mind a few more inches width in cold weather so there would be more room for the quilt's full loft.
      i may be trying a warmlight DAM soon. it's a little wider.

      milwaukee_son <milwaukee_son@...> wrote:

      > i have to say, in my hammock i'm so close to flat that the slight curve is hard for me to
      detect. i need to get someone to check it w/ a line.
      > i use a different method than most... narrow hammock, hung w/ not much sag. i also
      use a DAM, softly inflated to conform.

      Tim, I've seen pictures of you in your hammock. How wide is your DAM? How effective is it at
      pushing out the sides of your hammock?

      I'm thinking that a set up for a really cold night in a bridge hammock could be a 26" wide
      Exped DAM inside the bridge, sleeping in a normal deep winter sleeping bag. If the spreader
      bars are closer to 36" than 42" inches and the DAM pushes out whatever shoulder squeeze
      there is, with an overcover one would have quite a nice "floating tent" like feel, with closure
      small enough to keep some heat (or at least cut the air movement, and large enough to be
      comfortable.

      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 25, 2007
        Tim,

        If you have a 20" wide Exped-7, it will fit into the sleeve of a SPE
        and you can use the wings to effectively extend the width. I use a
        SPE when I use my 20" wide Exped-7 but don't use anything with my
        large Stephenson DAM that is 28" at its widest... except for the
        10"x20" ccf pad that I use under it to keep it from sliding so easily
        against the hammock bed.

        I found these large pads to be warm and comfy. They affect the lay of
        the hammock, basically reducing shoulder squeeze and knee
        hyper-extension while providing the ultimate in cushioning. Your
        knees drop some if the mat isn't fully inflated because your heels
        sink a little, with the 4+ inch thick Stephenson DAM you can hang your
        heels off the end and get even more heel drop. With either one of
        those DAMs, I just laugh at hard shelter floors and they probably make
        hard shelter floors as comfortable, if not more for some folks, than a
        nice hammock... you are flat, have no shoulder squeeze and have plenty
        of cushioning.

        But, they are not without some negative tradeoffs as well and those
        are significant enough to consider before you think the DAMs are
        perfect in every way. The first negative tradeoff I noticed was what
        a pain they are to inflate and deflate in a hammock environment...
        especially when it is very cold, which is where they excel in keeping
        you warm.

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood 2000
        Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt