[Hammock Camping] Re: Bridge Hammock ...is it comfortable?

  • milwaukee_son
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 25, 2007

      > i have to say, in my hammock i'm so close to flat that the slight curve is hard for me to
      detect. i need to get someone to check it w/ a line<g>.
      > i use a different method than most... narrow hammock, hung w/ not much sag. i also
      use a DAM, softly inflated to conform.

      Tim, I've seen pictures of you in your hammock. How wide is your DAM? How effective is it at
      pushing out the sides of your hammock?

      I'm thinking that a set up for a really cold night in a bridge hammock could be a 26" wide
      Exped DAM inside the bridge, sleeping in a normal deep winter sleeping bag. If the spreader
      bars are closer to 36" than 42" inches and the DAM pushes out whatever shoulder squeeze
      there is, with an overcover one would have quite a nice "floating tent" like feel, with closure
      small enough to keep some heat (or at least cut the air movement, and large enough to be
      comfortable.
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 25, 2007
        i believe the exped 7 i have is about 23" wide inflated. it does keep the hammock walls spread really well. at times i wouldn't mind a few more inches width in cold weather so there would be more room for the quilt's full loft.
        i may be trying a warmlight DAM soon. it's a little wider.

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 25, 2007
          Tim,

          If you have a 20" wide Exped-7, it will fit into the sleeve of a SPE
          and you can use the wings to effectively extend the width. I use a
          SPE when I use my 20" wide Exped-7 but don't use anything with my
          large Stephenson DAM that is 28" at its widest... except for the
          10"x20" ccf pad that I use under it to keep it from sliding so easily
          against the hammock bed.

          I found these large pads to be warm and comfy. They affect the lay of
          the hammock, basically reducing shoulder squeeze and knee
          hyper-extension while providing the ultimate in cushioning. Your
          knees drop some if the mat isn't fully inflated because your heels
          sink a little, with the 4+ inch thick Stephenson DAM you can hang your
          heels off the end and get even more heel drop. With either one of
          those DAMs, I just laugh at hard shelter floors and they probably make
          hard shelter floors as comfortable, if not more for some folks, than a
          nice hammock... you are flat, have no shoulder squeeze and have plenty
          of cushioning.

          But, they are not without some negative tradeoffs as well and those
          are significant enough to consider before you think the DAMs are
          perfect in every way. The first negative tradeoff I noticed was what
          a pain they are to inflate and deflate in a hammock environment...
          especially when it is very cold, which is where they excel in keeping
          you warm.

          Dave Womble
          aka Youngblood 2000
          Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt