Re: [Hammock Camping] Hanging as a couple

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 24, 2007
      On 9/24/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

      > I played with that Ralph. I forget how much separation I needed but
      > the bottom hammock was about on the ground and you didn't have much
      > headroom.

      I was thinking of the SEHHHA meetings where trees get scace. :]
      Four hammocks on two trees. :]

      But last time I suggested it I got flamed (gently).

      Last Friday I took my scouts out for an easy backpack along the Portnuef
      River near Pocatello.
      4 scouts, 4 adults, 5 hammocks, three ground dwellers.

      Any way there are a few really large willows along the river so you can do a
      single tree hang from branch to branch of the same tree. I suppose you could
      also do a side by side by side hang with three or more?

      There was also one long sturdy horizontal branch where I was doing a single
      branch hang

      Ralph

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
        Ralph,

        I think that packing scouts in versus packing AT thru hikers in versus
        packing SEHHA campers in... well, it might require a little tweaking
        of the 'rules'. <grin>

        Of course in the right situation where the tradeoffs dictate it, then
        it would be the hell with the 'rules' and let's just do it the way the
        scouts or the AT thru hikers do. Hint: one of the 'rules' at the
        SEHHA campout is that Ed and I get together for a burger and a beer at
        the Paddler's Pub for lunch on Friday, after a grueling 1/4 mile walk
        from the campground. Breakfast is usually a 1/2 mile walk to the
        Smoky Mountain Diner, and some folks like to catch an early dinner
        before driving across the street to their reservations at the hot tubs
        on Friday night. We probably do a few things a little different than
        your scouts.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
          With a wide tree, it is easy to do this with two hammocks, next to each
          other:

          http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultradoublehammock.htm

          The secret is to tie the hammock on the side of the tree instead of the
          midline.

          Risk

          Ralph Oborn wrote:
          > On 9/24/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
          >> We are getting off on another topic so I started a new one... here is
          >> a direct link to Tim's photos of 3 hammocks to 4 trees
          >

          > two trees two hammocks should be possible one on top of the other (Think
          > Gilligan and the skipper or two bunks) :]
          >
          > Maybe three or four even..
          >
          > Ralph

          Walk Well!

          Rick (Risk)

          *********************************
          http://www.imrisk.com
          author of
          A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
          www.wayahpress.com
          *********************************

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
              good to hear from ya rick. ...tim

              Rick <ra1@...> wrote: With a wide tree, it is easy to do this with two hammocks, next to each

              Ralph Oborn wrote:
              > On 9/24/07, Dave Womble wrote:
              >> We are getting off on another topic so I started a new one... here is
              >> a direct link to Tim's photos of 3 hammocks to 4 trees
              >

              > two trees two hammocks should be possible one on top of the other (Think
              > Gilligan and the skipper or two bunks) :]
              >
              > Maybe three or four even..
              >
              > Ralph

              Walk Well!

              Rick (Risk)

              *********************************

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 26, 2007
                Tim,

                I read the list almost every day. I just have not had much to say
                recently.

                Rick

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 26, 2007
                  Rick,

                  Nice to see you posting every now and then.

                  Dave

                  PS... Did I see J.D. post something recently?