Re: [Hammock Camping] Hanging as a couple

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 24, 2007
      I played with that Ralph. I forget how much separation I needed but
      the bottom hammock was about on the ground and you didn't have much
      headroom. The top hammock was almost too high to get in. Then there
      is that issue of overnight stretch which will complicate things even
      more as one or more of the hammocks dropped six inches or so. Of
      course, I'm talking top entry hammocks without bugnets attached. One
      thing noticeable was the warmth you got from the other body, either on
      top or on bottom. It wasn't the kind of setup I wanted as a couple as
      it wasn't particularly cozy or inviting, in my opinion, and you
      certainly hoped the person in the top hammock didn't have gas. But
      there could be some situations where that would be good to use.

      Dave

      > On 9/24/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > We are getting off on another topic so I started a new one... here is
      > > a direct link to Tim's photos of 3 hammocks to 4 trees
      >

      > two trees two hammocks should be possible one on top of the other (Think
      > Gilligan and the skipper or two bunks) :]
      >
      > Maybe three or four even..
      >
      > Ralph

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 24, 2007
        On 9/24/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

        > I played with that Ralph. I forget how much separation I needed but
        > the bottom hammock was about on the ground and you didn't have much
        > headroom.

        I was thinking of the SEHHHA meetings where trees get scace. :]
        Four hammocks on two trees. :]

        But last time I suggested it I got flamed (gently).

        Last Friday I took my scouts out for an easy backpack along the Portnuef
        River near Pocatello.
        4 scouts, 4 adults, 5 hammocks, three ground dwellers.

        Any way there are a few really large willows along the river so you can do a
        single tree hang from branch to branch of the same tree. I suppose you could
        also do a side by side by side hang with three or more?

        There was also one long sturdy horizontal branch where I was doing a single
        branch hang

        Ralph

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
          Ralph,

          I think that packing scouts in versus packing AT thru hikers in versus
          packing SEHHA campers in... well, it might require a little tweaking
          of the 'rules'. <grin>

          Of course in the right situation where the tradeoffs dictate it, then
          it would be the hell with the 'rules' and let's just do it the way the
          scouts or the AT thru hikers do. Hint: one of the 'rules' at the
          SEHHA campout is that Ed and I get together for a burger and a beer at
          the Paddler's Pub for lunch on Friday, after a grueling 1/4 mile walk
          from the campground. Breakfast is usually a 1/2 mile walk to the
          Smoky Mountain Diner, and some folks like to catch an early dinner
          before driving across the street to their reservations at the hot tubs
          on Friday night. We probably do a few things a little different than
          your scouts.

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
            With a wide tree, it is easy to do this with two hammocks, next to each
            other:

            http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultradoublehammock.htm

            The secret is to tie the hammock on the side of the tree instead of the
            midline.

            Risk

            Ralph Oborn wrote:
            > On 9/24/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
            >> We are getting off on another topic so I started a new one... here is
            >> a direct link to Tim's photos of 3 hammocks to 4 trees
            >

            > two trees two hammocks should be possible one on top of the other (Think
            > Gilligan and the skipper or two bunks) :]
            >
            > Maybe three or four even..
            >
            > Ralph

            Walk Well!

            Rick (Risk)

            *********************************
            http://www.imrisk.com
            author of
            A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
            www.wayahpress.com
            *********************************

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
                good to hear from ya rick. ...tim

                Rick <ra1@...> wrote: With a wide tree, it is easy to do this with two hammocks, next to each

                Ralph Oborn wrote:
                > On 9/24/07, Dave Womble wrote:
                >> We are getting off on another topic so I started a new one... here is
                >> a direct link to Tim's photos of 3 hammocks to 4 trees
                >

                > two trees two hammocks should be possible one on top of the other (Think
                > Gilligan and the skipper or two bunks) :]
                >
                > Maybe three or four even..
                >
                > Ralph

                Walk Well!

                Rick (Risk)

                *********************************

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 26, 2007
                  Tim,

                  I read the list almost every day. I just have not had much to say
                  recently.

                  Rick

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 26, 2007
                    Rick,

                    Nice to see you posting every now and then.

                    Dave

                    PS... Did I see J.D. post something recently?