Hanging as a couple

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 24, 2007
      We are getting off on another topic so I started a new one... here is
      a direct link to Tim's photos of 3 hammocks to 4 trees
      http://tinyurl.com/yqlshy.

      It has been a while since I used the struts to tie two hammocks side
      by side to two trees in the sidecar arrangement. It was nice and you
      felt each others every movement and would swing in sync when you got
      to rocking. I tied 2 foot struts to separate the hammocks and the
      tarp had to be at a pretty wide A-frame. It wouldn't hurt to use a
      very large tarp (11 foot ridgeline and 10 foot wide) like Ed Speer is
      about to release to get more coverage because this arrangement
      requires the tarp to have more width. The 3 trees for two hammocks
      (similar to Tims's 3 hammock photo) doesn't need struts and your
      movements are independent, which may or may not be desirable for
      you... you just need 3 trees in more or less the right position.
      Others have used two large diameter trees and got some separation by
      tying the hammocks to the opposite sides of the trees. And I suppose
      you could use a piece of wood for a strut right against a tree to get
      the separation you wanted if one of the trees wasn't the right
      diameter... there should a lot of ways to do it if you use your
      imagination. Heck, you could probably use a rope or two or up to
      four, to pull them apart and tie those off to other nearby trees to
      maintain some separation. I haven't been hiking as a couple so I
      haven't messed with it in while... not enough motivation <grin>. The
      last time I used it was when I camped out back with the twin grandkids
      last year(?). They have slept out back in hammocks before and the
      sidecar arrangement was a neat new toy for them because they could get
      the other one swinging with them.

      I don't know about doing this with Hennessy Hammocks, I don't recall
      anyone doing this with them but surely someone has. A lot of things
      are a little different with the Hennessy's because of the pullouts,
      the asym shape, and it seems like you hang them a little higher in
      general because of the bottom entrance versus side entrance deal...
      that just means you may want to do things a little different, not that
      it is impossible, because it certainly isn't.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood 2000
      designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 24, 2007
        On 9/24/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

        > We are getting off on another topic so I started a new one... here is
        > a direct link to Tim's photos of 3 hammocks to 4 trees

        two trees two hammocks should be possible one on top of the other (Think
        Gilligan and the skipper or two bunks) :]

        Maybe three or four even..

        Ralph

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 24, 2007
          I played with that Ralph. I forget how much separation I needed but
          the bottom hammock was about on the ground and you didn't have much
          headroom. The top hammock was almost too high to get in. Then there
          is that issue of overnight stretch which will complicate things even
          more as one or more of the hammocks dropped six inches or so. Of
          course, I'm talking top entry hammocks without bugnets attached. One
          thing noticeable was the warmth you got from the other body, either on
          top or on bottom. It wasn't the kind of setup I wanted as a couple as
          it wasn't particularly cozy or inviting, in my opinion, and you
          certainly hoped the person in the top hammock didn't have gas. But
          there could be some situations where that would be good to use.

          Dave

          > On 9/24/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > We are getting off on another topic so I started a new one... here is
          > > a direct link to Tim's photos of 3 hammocks to 4 trees
          >

          > two trees two hammocks should be possible one on top of the other (Think
          > Gilligan and the skipper or two bunks) :]
          >
          > Maybe three or four even..
          >
          > Ralph

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 24, 2007
            On 9/24/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

            > I played with that Ralph. I forget how much separation I needed but
            > the bottom hammock was about on the ground and you didn't have much
            > headroom.

            I was thinking of the SEHHHA meetings where trees get scace. :]
            Four hammocks on two trees. :]

            But last time I suggested it I got flamed (gently).

            Last Friday I took my scouts out for an easy backpack along the Portnuef
            River near Pocatello.
            4 scouts, 4 adults, 5 hammocks, three ground dwellers.

            Any way there are a few really large willows along the river so you can do a
            single tree hang from branch to branch of the same tree. I suppose you could
            also do a side by side by side hang with three or more?

            There was also one long sturdy horizontal branch where I was doing a single
            branch hang

            Ralph

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
              Ralph,

              I think that packing scouts in versus packing AT thru hikers in versus
              packing SEHHA campers in... well, it might require a little tweaking
              of the 'rules'. <grin>

              Of course in the right situation where the tradeoffs dictate it, then
              it would be the hell with the 'rules' and let's just do it the way the
              scouts or the AT thru hikers do. Hint: one of the 'rules' at the
              SEHHA campout is that Ed and I get together for a burger and a beer at
              the Paddler's Pub for lunch on Friday, after a grueling 1/4 mile walk
              from the campground. Breakfast is usually a 1/2 mile walk to the
              Smoky Mountain Diner, and some folks like to catch an early dinner
              before driving across the street to their reservations at the hot tubs
              on Friday night. We probably do a few things a little different than
              your scouts.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
                With a wide tree, it is easy to do this with two hammocks, next to each
                other:

                http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultradoublehammock.htm

                The secret is to tie the hammock on the side of the tree instead of the
                midline.

                Risk

                Ralph Oborn wrote:
                > On 9/24/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                >> We are getting off on another topic so I started a new one... here is
                >> a direct link to Tim's photos of 3 hammocks to 4 trees
                >

                > two trees two hammocks should be possible one on top of the other (Think
                > Gilligan and the skipper or two bunks) :]
                >
                > Maybe three or four even..
                >
                > Ralph

                Walk Well!

                Rick (Risk)

                *********************************
                http://www.imrisk.com
                author of
                A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                www.wayahpress.com
                *********************************

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
                    good to hear from ya rick. ...tim

                    Rick <ra1@...> wrote: With a wide tree, it is easy to do this with two hammocks, next to each

                    Ralph Oborn wrote:
                    > On 9/24/07, Dave Womble wrote:
                    >> We are getting off on another topic so I started a new one... here is
                    >> a direct link to Tim's photos of 3 hammocks to 4 trees
                    >

                    > two trees two hammocks should be possible one on top of the other (Think
                    > Gilligan and the skipper or two bunks) :]
                    >
                    > Maybe three or four even..
                    >
                    > Ralph

                    Walk Well!

                    Rick (Risk)

                    *********************************

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 26, 2007
                      Tim,

                      I read the list almost every day. I just have not had much to say
                      recently.

                      Rick

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 26, 2007
                        Rick,

                        Nice to see you posting every now and then.

                        Dave

                        PS... Did I see J.D. post something recently?