[Hammock Camping] Re: Bridge Hammock ...is it comfortable?

  • terry_and_pearl
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 24, 2007

      > i have to say, in my hammock i'm so close to flat that the slight
      curve is hard for me to detect. i need to get someone to check it w/
      a line<g>.
      > i use a different method than most... narrow hammock, hung w/
      not much sag. i also use a DAM, softly inflated to conform.

      > but when i've laid in other hammock types... a loosely hung, 5'
      wide by 11' long hammock (dave's), & a hh clone (headchange's) i was
      also so close to flat that if there was a sag going in the direction
      of a banana, it was very minimal & i was extreamly comfrtable w/o a
      DAM. mater a fact in dave's wide hammock, my feet seemed to rest a
      few inches lower than my back as they were off to one side, and the
      back/torso was perfectly supported.
      > the only reason i haven't made a wider hammock like that is
      more hammock material & more insulation. but it was so comfortable, i
      might could do w/o the DAM.

      > i haven't wanted to be negative toward the bridge type hammocks,
      because they will probably suit some folks better, but the two i've
      laid in seemed far to rigid & non-conforming after using the more
      common types.
      > i disliked the shoulder squeeze too but of course i realize
      that can probably be helped by using longer spreader bars.

      > another thing i really like about my hammock style is lower
      sides for a great view!!! ...tim

      Tim - you're probably not a good candidate for a Bridge Hammock. You
      seem to have found what you like and is comfortable for you. Maybe a
      good idea to stick with it.

      I'm just having a lot of fun in designing something completely new and
      different and also enjoying the fact that for me it works so very well.

      I'm really not trying to talk anybody into the Bridge Hammock instead
      of something else. I just get enthusiastic and like to share that with
      others. If I didn't enjoy the Bridge Hammock I just wouldn't do it.
      Sorry if that comes across as being pushy or anything - it's not meant
      to be that way.
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 24, 2007
        if you go to the photo gallery, go to the last page & back up one, you will see several photos starting w/ "slowhike". check the one that says "three hammocks".
        it's a lot easier to find there trees for two hammocks than four.
        we have set 2 & 3 hammocks beside each other many times, using the same tree for the foot end hammock supports & two separate trees for the head end supports.

        C C Wayah <ccwayah@...> wrote:
        Ok Dave,
        Can this strut system work with the hennery hammocks with one tarp or find
        a way to tandem the tarps together?
        My husband and I had a hard time finding four suitable trees north of Woody
        gap that wasn't full of poison ivy this summer. We found two trees across a
        cleared side trail easily but not four in a reasonable distance from each
        other so that only one of us was not in the PI.
        .
        Rogene

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 25, 2007

          > i have to say, in my hammock i'm so close to flat that the slight curve is hard for me to
          detect. i need to get someone to check it w/ a line<g>.
          > i use a different method than most... narrow hammock, hung w/ not much sag. i also
          use a DAM, softly inflated to conform.

          Tim, I've seen pictures of you in your hammock. How wide is your DAM? How effective is it at
          pushing out the sides of your hammock?

          I'm thinking that a set up for a really cold night in a bridge hammock could be a 26" wide
          Exped DAM inside the bridge, sleeping in a normal deep winter sleeping bag. If the spreader
          bars are closer to 36" than 42" inches and the DAM pushes out whatever shoulder squeeze
          there is, with an overcover one would have quite a nice "floating tent" like feel, with closure
          small enough to keep some heat (or at least cut the air movement, and large enough to be
          comfortable.
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 25, 2007
            i believe the exped 7 i have is about 23" wide inflated. it does keep the hammock walls spread really well. at times i wouldn't mind a few more inches width in cold weather so there would be more room for the quilt's full loft.
            i may be trying a warmlight DAM soon. it's a little wider.

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 25, 2007
              Tim,

              If you have a 20" wide Exped-7, it will fit into the sleeve of a SPE
              and you can use the wings to effectively extend the width. I use a
              SPE when I use my 20" wide Exped-7 but don't use anything with my
              large Stephenson DAM that is 28" at its widest... except for the
              10"x20" ccf pad that I use under it to keep it from sliding so easily
              against the hammock bed.

              I found these large pads to be warm and comfy. They affect the lay of
              the hammock, basically reducing shoulder squeeze and knee
              hyper-extension while providing the ultimate in cushioning. Your
              knees drop some if the mat isn't fully inflated because your heels
              sink a little, with the 4+ inch thick Stephenson DAM you can hang your
              heels off the end and get even more heel drop. With either one of
              those DAMs, I just laugh at hard shelter floors and they probably make
              hard shelter floors as comfortable, if not more for some folks, than a
              nice hammock... you are flat, have no shoulder squeeze and have plenty
              of cushioning.

              But, they are not without some negative tradeoffs as well and those
              are significant enough to consider before you think the DAMs are
              perfect in every way. The first negative tradeoff I noticed was what
              a pain they are to inflate and deflate in a hammock environment...
              especially when it is very cold, which is where they excel in keeping
              you warm.