[Hammock Camping] Re: Bridge Hammock ...is it comfortable?

  • terry_and_pearl
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 24, 2007

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "terry_and_pearl"
      > <terry_and_pearl@> wrote:
      > >
      > <snip>...
      >
      > > As far as your other points and trying to compare the Bridge Hammock
      > > to a cot or the floor of a shelter. The comparison doesn't make any
      > > sense to me. I just don't understand what you are trying to accomplish
      > > with such comparisons. First the Bridge Hammock is made of whatever
      > > fabric you decide, you can use the heavy cotton used in the cot if you
      > > like, but I wouldn't advise it. The same fabric you use for your other
      > > DIY hammocks would be much better. As for comparing to the floor of a
      > > shelter, I don't advise making the Bridge Hammock out of wood either.
      > > As I said, the point of the comparisons escapes me.
      >
      > ... <snip>
      > >

      > terry_and_pearl,
      >
      > I don't believe I compared the bridge hammock to a cot or the floor of
      > a shelter.
      >
      > One point I was trying to make was that the term flat was being
      > misused and could cause confusion. I have brought the same issue up
      > in the past when folks stated they were able to lay flat in more
      > traditional backpacking hammocks by laying on a diagonal and told them
      > they weren't really laying flat but were laying flatter. As another
      > example, this is a flat suspended platform http://tinyurl.com/3dmps3
      > and this is not http://tinyurl.com/32v2rt . Both those types of
      > platforms provide for a straight spine but have some different
      > characteristics that can affect comfort... there are some tradeoffs
      > involved and different individuals may find different comfort levels
      > between the two.
      >
      > Another point I was trying to make was that being flat in itself is
      > not the holy grail of comfort and that was where the reference to flat
      > shelter floors was brought up. Shelter floors are flat but most
      > people don't find them particularly comfortable unless they use a lot
      > of cushioning with them. Many folks have gone to hammocks that use
      > stretchy nylon fabric that don't allow them to get totally flat to get
      > off those hard flat shelter floors so they could be more comfortable.
      >
      > My intent was to clarify the descriptions that were being used and to
      > point out that being comfortable isn't all about being flat, that
      > relieving uncomfortable pressure points plays a huge part it how
      > comfortable a person is.
      >
      > Dave Womble
      > aka Youngblood 2000
      > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt

      Dave - I think I misunderstood what you were saying. Scanned too fast
      and left my mind on idle while doing so.

      Yes you right. Flat, as in mattress flat, isn't really what I wanted.
      What I wanted most of all was to get rid of the backwards pressure on
      my knees. I guess I have just gotten into the habit of using the term
      "flat" as shorthand to mean just that.

      My Safari clone does a beautiful job of doing that. Until I took a
      wild chance and made a Bridge Hammock, that Safari clone was my
      favorite hammock. The whipping is such that I have a little platform
      formed by the folds that acted as a pillow, so none needed for my
      head. Also, the folds are such that my knees are raised just a
      fraction of an inch. Not much, but enough that the backward pressure
      is eliminated. I didn't plan the whipping like that, it just happened
      to work out that way and I love it.

      And talk about room!! That hammock is HUGE. I really got to the point
      that I like a HUGE hammock for the roominess and the fact that the
      ridge line was up high and out of my face and I didn't attempt to
      decapitate myself on it getting into and out of the hammock.

      I prefer hammocks with ridge lines and will not use one without
      anymore. That is my personal preference.

      But my Safari clone is HEAVY, HEAVY and oh by the way did I mention
      that it is HEAVY. Almost 1 lb just for the fabric, then add in the bug
      netting, the Velcro for the bottom entry/exit slit, the Velcro on the
      edges and the bug netting to make the bug netting removable, the bias
      tape used for trim instead of hems and the weight is up to almost 2
      lbs. Then add in the snake skins and a tarp and we are talking
      significant weight here.

      The Safari clone is a very, very comfortable hammock, but the price
      paid is weight.

      Tim mentioned the view. That was another problem with the Safari
      clone. Laying on the diagonal, there is a veritable wall of material
      to your right. The view to the right is blocked almost totally from
      your feet around to the head end, continuing around almost to the left
      shoulder. About the only place you can really see out of that hammock
      is from the left shoulder down to the the level of the hips. Then the
      fabric starts rising up and blocking everything again. If anything
      wanted to sneak and surprise you, just come from your right side
      towards your head. You wouldn't see a thing.

      So what happened when I laid in my Bridge Hammock after I got the
      ridge line and spreaders adjusted properly??

      Well, first of all, I noticed that I do need a head pillow just like I
      do on my memory foam mattress. Then I noticed that I also will
      probably use a small pillow under my knees occasionally just like I do
      on my memory foam mattress. In the Bridge Hammock, I use one of those
      air pillows from BPL for my knees. Deflated it weighs approximately 1
      oz, maybe less. If I had known about the less expensive sources for
      that pillow, I would have purchased there instead of BPL, but what the
      heck.

      I learned fast that the air pillow doesn't work for my head, the air
      doesn't stay in one place and my head just flops from side to side.
      Useless for my head. So I invented a built-in pillow for my Bridge
      Hammock. It isn't really a pillow, but a platform made out of 1.1 oz
      ripstop, grosgrain and guy line cord. Works great when sleeping on my
      back and even better than a pillow when on my side. And being
      built-in, it cannot get lost an weighs approximately 1 oz or less.
      Also, since it is made out of 1.1 oz ripstop, it conforms to my head
      and cushions.

      One thing I didn't like about the Bridge Hammock was sleeping on my
      side - no room for my arms. They ended up folded across my chest. If
      you have seen the picture of the guy in the OZ site, that is what he
      is doing. I like to kind of have the underside arm extended under my
      head or out in front of me. The Safari clone was great for that. Just
      cannot do that in the Bridge Hammock without my built-in
      pillow/platform. The platform supports my head at just the right
      height (which is easily adjustable) and my arm can then be extended up
      under the pillow and my head. Until I invented the built-in pillow,
      sleeping on my side was a struggle with the un-natural position for
      me. With the built-in pillow, I fall to sleep on my side, either side,
      in seconds or minutes.

      Now back to something I really, really, really like about the Bridge
      Hammock ---- The View. I have more unobstructed view from my Bridge
      Hammock than any hammock I have ever laid in. That dip in the middle
      affords the best view out the sides I have ever seen in a hammock. The
      rising sides on the foot of the hammock are seen pretty much on edge
      and present almost no obstruction to the view. The rising sides on
      head of the hammock are steeper than on the foot and consequently
      present less obstruction than the foot sides would. True, you are
      looking at the head sides full on, but there just seems to be less
      there. Directly over the feet and directly overhead, the hammock can
      be fully open or closed, my choice. I can fully open for an
      unobstructed view or close off fully to block wind or I can open/close
      partially for a view and ventilation compromise.

      The view is obstructed a whole lot when I install my poncho liner as
      an under quilt. The liner is stretched out under the hammock and acts
      like a huge bathtub, only open ended. When it is cold and windy out, I
      close off the hammock above my head and below my feet to block wind
      and then the high sides of the poncho liner accomplish the same for
      the sides even with that dip in the middle of the hammock. Getting in
      with the poncho liner installed as an under quilt is not an issue. The
      foot end is secured with shock cord. So I just pull the side of the
      liner down to the webbing on the hammock and enter/exit normally. The
      poncho liner snaps back into place. No problem. I have a piece of
      shock cord attached to the middle of one side of the poncho liner.
      That cord gets run over the ridge line and clipped with a micro
      carabiner to the other side. It is secured only when I am in the
      hammock - just grab the cord, throw over the ridge line, catch and
      clip - done is 2 or 3 seconds. With the poncho liner secured at four
      corners and the middle it is snug. To get even more insulation, as I
      wrote previously, I just lay my Gossamer Gear Thinlight pads on top of
      the liner. Since they are under the hammock and on top of the liner,
      they stay in place as if stitched there no matter how much I move
      about and toss and turn. Nothing special needed. With the cut down
      section turned perpendicular, I have insulation up past my shoulders
      when on my back

      Using one of the small IR thermometers, I have observed a little
      better than 15* F difference between ambient air inside the
      hammock/liner "bathtub" and the hammock fabric under my back with both
      the poncho liner and the GG pads. The GG pads put 3/4" thick
      insulation under my torso. Also, I have observed about a 5* F to 10* F
      difference in ambient temperature inside the poncho liner "bathtub"
      and the outside air. The latter was with only a small wind outside. I
      am thinking of making a "bug netting" out of 1.1 oz ripstop. It isn't
      for bugs, but to act as an overcover to seal the hammock with the
      poncho liner or under quilt. Would only use when it is very windy and
      very cold. I would then slightly open either the cover above my head
      or below my feet or both for ventilation.

      Roominess??? My Safari clone is the epitome of roominess for all
      hammocks except big Mayans. But then The Safari is essentially,
      almost, a Mayan hammock with bug netting and bottom entry/exit.

      How does the Bridge Hammock compare? Quite well in my opinion. It
      doesn't have the "acres" of fabric that a Mayan or the Safari has. But
      it also doesn't constrict me much either. With a spreader bar above my
      head of 105 cm (41.3 inches - my tape measure is graduated in metric
      so I end up mixing metric and English units), shoulder squeeze is not
      an issue for me. But then I don't have a line backer's shoulders
      either. I'm not diminutive either - my chest measures between 44" and
      45" and if I include my arms, it measures between 50" and 51". So that
      gives you something to compare with for shoulder squeeze.

      I have found that for me, I really don't need the "acres" of fabric
      and the subsequent weight to have roominess.

      I sleep exclusively on my side and back with a preference for my side.
      I'm adaptable and can sleep on my back exclusively and on my stomach
      if forced, but I find sleeping on my stomach uncomfortable - I usually
      get a sore neck.

      To get an idea of how the Bridge Hammock works, do a thought
      experiment. As an engineer you are probably used to doing this.

      First get a picture of a big Mayan Hammock with a person laying
      totally on the diagonal, laying perpendicular to the line from tree to
      tree. Picture the roominess and comfort and lack of shoulder squeeze.

      Got It??

      Okay, now leaving the person in the hammock and the hammock in the
      air, unhitch from the trees.

      Now, take the ends where the whipping is, un-whip the ends and spread
      the fabric out flat. Remember the hammock is still in the air with the
      person in it.

      Now you have all of that fabric with the person in the "bathtub".

      Cut away all of the extraneous fabric. Cut it down to about 2 feet
      above the person laying in the hammock.

      You will notice that in the middle, where you cut the fabric away, the
      fabric is loose and tight only at the corners.

      To get rid of the looseness, we'll take a lesson from bridge builders
      and cut again, only this time instead of cutting on a straight line,
      we'll cut an arc, low in the middle. Taking another lesson from the
      bridge builders, we'll make the arc steeper where he upper body is. We
      do this since the steeper arc supports the extra weight of the upper
      body better.

      Now sew some supporting rope or webbing along both cuts, rotate the
      whole thing 90 degrees and extend the rope or webbing out to the trees
      and you essentially have the Bridge Hammock. Some of the details about
      sewing and using a mixture of webbing and rope and joining the ropes
      to get 1 rope running to the tree have to be added to finish, but you
      get the idea.

      You still have the roominess and comfort of that Mayan Hammock, but
      have eliminated a lot of weight.
    • C C Wayah
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 24, 2007
        Ok Dave,
        Can this strut system work with the hennery hammocks with one tarp or find
        a way to tandem the tarps together?
        My husband and I had a hard time finding four suitable trees north of Woody
        gap that wasn't full of poison ivy this summer. We found two trees across a
        cleared side trail easily but not four in a reasonable distance from each
        other so that only one of us was not in the PI.
        .
        Rogene

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 24, 2007

          > i have to say, in my hammock i'm so close to flat that the slight
          curve is hard for me to detect. i need to get someone to check it w/
          a line<g>.
          > i use a different method than most... narrow hammock, hung w/
          not much sag. i also use a DAM, softly inflated to conform.

          > but when i've laid in other hammock types... a loosely hung, 5'
          wide by 11' long hammock (dave's), & a hh clone (headchange's) i was
          also so close to flat that if there was a sag going in the direction
          of a banana, it was very minimal & i was extreamly comfrtable w/o a
          DAM. mater a fact in dave's wide hammock, my feet seemed to rest a
          few inches lower than my back as they were off to one side, and the
          back/torso was perfectly supported.
          > the only reason i haven't made a wider hammock like that is
          more hammock material & more insulation. but it was so comfortable, i
          might could do w/o the DAM.

          > i haven't wanted to be negative toward the bridge type hammocks,
          because they will probably suit some folks better, but the two i've
          laid in seemed far to rigid & non-conforming after using the more
          common types.
          > i disliked the shoulder squeeze too but of course i realize
          that can probably be helped by using longer spreader bars.

          > another thing i really like about my hammock style is lower
          sides for a great view!!! ...tim

          Tim - you're probably not a good candidate for a Bridge Hammock. You
          seem to have found what you like and is comfortable for you. Maybe a
          good idea to stick with it.

          I'm just having a lot of fun in designing something completely new and
          different and also enjoying the fact that for me it works so very well.

          I'm really not trying to talk anybody into the Bridge Hammock instead
          of something else. I just get enthusiastic and like to share that with
          others. If I didn't enjoy the Bridge Hammock I just wouldn't do it.
          Sorry if that comes across as being pushy or anything - it's not meant
          to be that way.
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 24, 2007
            if you go to the photo gallery, go to the last page & back up one, you will see several photos starting w/ "slowhike". check the one that says "three hammocks".
            it's a lot easier to find there trees for two hammocks than four.
            we have set 2 & 3 hammocks beside each other many times, using the same tree for the foot end hammock supports & two separate trees for the head end supports.

          • milwaukee_son
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 25, 2007

              > i have to say, in my hammock i'm so close to flat that the slight curve is hard for me to
              detect. i need to get someone to check it w/ a line<g>.
              > i use a different method than most... narrow hammock, hung w/ not much sag. i also
              use a DAM, softly inflated to conform.

              Tim, I've seen pictures of you in your hammock. How wide is your DAM? How effective is it at
              pushing out the sides of your hammock?

              I'm thinking that a set up for a really cold night in a bridge hammock could be a 26" wide
              Exped DAM inside the bridge, sleeping in a normal deep winter sleeping bag. If the spreader
              bars are closer to 36" than 42" inches and the DAM pushes out whatever shoulder squeeze
              there is, with an overcover one would have quite a nice "floating tent" like feel, with closure
              small enough to keep some heat (or at least cut the air movement, and large enough to be
              comfortable.
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 25, 2007
                i believe the exped 7 i have is about 23" wide inflated. it does keep the hammock walls spread really well. at times i wouldn't mind a few more inches width in cold weather so there would be more room for the quilt's full loft.
                i may be trying a warmlight DAM soon. it's a little wider.

                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 25, 2007
                  Tim,

                  If you have a 20" wide Exped-7, it will fit into the sleeve of a SPE
                  and you can use the wings to effectively extend the width. I use a
                  SPE when I use my 20" wide Exped-7 but don't use anything with my
                  large Stephenson DAM that is 28" at its widest... except for the
                  10"x20" ccf pad that I use under it to keep it from sliding so easily
                  against the hammock bed.

                  I found these large pads to be warm and comfy. They affect the lay of
                  the hammock, basically reducing shoulder squeeze and knee
                  hyper-extension while providing the ultimate in cushioning. Your
                  knees drop some if the mat isn't fully inflated because your heels
                  sink a little, with the 4+ inch thick Stephenson DAM you can hang your
                  heels off the end and get even more heel drop. With either one of
                  those DAMs, I just laugh at hard shelter floors and they probably make
                  hard shelter floors as comfortable, if not more for some folks, than a
                  nice hammock... you are flat, have no shoulder squeeze and have plenty
                  of cushioning.

                  But, they are not without some negative tradeoffs as well and those
                  are significant enough to consider before you think the DAMs are
                  perfect in every way. The first negative tradeoff I noticed was what
                  a pain they are to inflate and deflate in a hammock environment...
                  especially when it is very cold, which is where they excel in keeping
                  you warm.