Used water bottle hammock!

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 21, 2007
      Talk about unique hammocks--here's one made from old water bottles!
      And we thought we were on the cutting edge....

      The following is from an email I received today:
      """"Hello my name is Ruben Van Beek,

      Surfing on internet I got on your website.

      I work for the "HOAT" foundation and import products from asia.

      We have some really nice hammocks that almost nobody is selling yet,
      maybe you are interested to take a look at some photos of them at the
      website of our foundation: http://www.hoat.nl/webshop/webshop.php

      The website is in Dutch but the webshop speaks for it self. ( click
      on"hammocks")

      They are handmade of used waterbottles and they are really strong.
      They are really comfortable and don't hurt your skin because the used
      parts are wide.

      The money made with these hammocks is for the"HOAT" foundation and
      will be used to help poor families and schoolchildren in Thailand.
      And the people who make the hammocks make a decent living out of it.

      The size of the hammocks is big enough for Europeans and Americans in
      general.
      This I know because I use one for myself for a already a long time
      now. ( I am 185cm) If you are interested, please send us an email.
      I wish you a very nice day.

      Ruben van Beek.
      http://www.hoat.nl
      http://www.giveapig.com
      info@...
      The Netherlands"""""

      I thought the good folks on this List would enjoy this. I hope
      someone buys one of these just so we all can find out more. Anyone
      speak Dutch?

      Happy Hammocking.....Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List
      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
      Author, Hammock Camping book
      Editor, Hammock Camping newsletters
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 2007
        On 9/21/07, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:

        > Talk about unique hammocks--here's one made from old water bottles!
        > And we thought we were on the cutting edge....

        Intriguing

        Cut strips about 1/8 the circumference of the water bottle and get started

        The second photo in hammocks shows the weaving pattern

        By my count it would take about 100 bottles.

        Ralph

      • Tomislav
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 2007
          > Intriguing
          >
          > Cut strips about 1/8 the circumference of the water bottle and get
          started

          > The second photo in hammocks shows the weaving pattern
          >
          > By my count it would take about 100 bottles.

          Hi. I've seen those bottles (0.9l of water, 5 baht) only
          in Thailand and one more country there (Malaysia I think),
          the plastic that they're made of is softer than the one used
          with regular PET bottles so I don't know would a PET bottle
          version work as well.
          Definitely a smart design, tho.

          My first post by the way, so hi all.
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22, 2007
            welcome to hammock camping. ...tim

            Tomislav <d_tomoe_b@...> wrote: > Intriguing

            > Cut strips about 1/8 the circumference of the water bottle and get
            started

            > The second photo in hammocks shows the weaving pattern
            >
            > By my count it would take about 100 bottles.

            Hi. I've seen those bottles (0.9l of water, 5 baht) only
            in Thailand and one more country there (Malaysia I think),
            the plastic that they're made of is softer than the one used
            with regular PET bottles so I don't know would a PET bottle
            version work as well.
            Definitely a smart design, tho.

            My first post by the way, so hi all.

          • C C Wayah