[Hammock Camping] Re: hammock bivy idea!

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 18, 2007
      FWIW, I finished my SockPod (that's what I'm calling it, I suppose). Not
      quite as nice as what ya'll would come up with, but it will work for
      me... here's the link to photos:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/HammockSockPod
      <http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/HammockSockPod>

      Here's my report from another forum:

      It's modeled after a bug bivvy I made a while back, (also modeled after
      Blackbishop's hammock sock
      <http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/sock-inside1.jpg> , and
      Just Jeff's hammock sock
      <http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html> and Risk's
      travel pod <http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm> ) and it
      consists of 2 sheets of 125" x 60" 1.9 oz. DWR ripstop sewn together to
      form a tube, with a 96'-ish #3 zipper (with 2 reversable pulls that
      close head-to-head) at one seam and paracord drawstrings at the ends.

      The drawstrings at the ends allow for easy setup and ventilation on each
      end, and the zipper allows the pod/sock to be completely closed on the
      ends, but still allows flexible ventilation through a moveable,
      resizable, zippered vent hole (like Risk's pod). You can either pull it
      up over you like a sock, or leave it set up completely and enter through
      the side zipper entrance. The zipper entrance can also act as a window
      to outside, which I find pretty important.

      I have no idea what it weighs, but it could (always!) be made to be
      lighter, by using lighter materials (lighter ripstop, etc), these were
      just the materials I had at hand. I did use a lighter zipper, #3, and
      also pulled the center fibers out of the paracord, but the biggest
      difference would be the weight of the material itself. I also didn't try
      to taper the material like Risk did.