Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Bliss portable hammock stand

  • light_tribe
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 11, 2007
      Hi Dave,

      Thanks for the reply and fantastic resource. I took a look at your
      amazing word doc on sag angle. Fabulous diagrams! It's great to have
      all this information. My first overnight hammock hang will be better
      for it i am willing to bet. I would also wager that some of the ole'
      timer hammockers would have liked to have had so much info and product
      choice a few years back.

      I guess I might have to get creative to hang a hammock in my
      apartment. The Hammock Bliss stand doesn't seem tall enough for the
      right sag angle, butt would drag the ground. <g>

      Thanks!

      > Garius,

      > I sense that you have not figured out 'hammock geometry' yet. You
      > don't want to hang that 9'10" hammock stretched tight, you will want
      > to hang it somewhat loose, or with some sag, where the ends of the
      > hammock might be separated by 8'5", or somewhere in that range. The
      > issue I see with that 10 foot stand is the 42" height, I would have
      > liked to see it a foot higher. You can still use it but it will limit
      > the amount of sag you can get and still stay off the floor, so your
      > hammock may not be as comfortable as it could be with more sag. You
      > will live through that <grin> but may want to hang it with more sag
      > when you are outdoors using trees that allow more flexibility.
      >
      > I have written a few things about sag angle that may or may not help
      > you understand that and they a posted in the files section under
      > Youngblood's stuff
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/files/Youngblood%27s/ .
      >
      > You mentioned the Speer Segmented Pad Extender to increase comfort, I
      > think you will find that they aren't usually used to increase the
      > comfort of a hammock but to help you stay warm using pads and other
      > items you may already have... they work fine for that.
      >
      > Dave Womble
      > aka Youngblood 2000
      > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "light_tribe" <Garius@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks Tim, for the reply,
      > >
      > > I have the Eno Doublenest, it is 9'10" in length, that's cutting it
      > > close with a 10' stand. I live in Manhattan and there are few places
      > > to practice with my new rig to get it just right, before taking it out
      > > in the wild. I am considering the Speer Segmented Pad extenders to
      > > increase comfort. I have a ridgerest and a couple to Wallmart blue
      > > pads to cut up and experiment with.
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > just be sure it's long enough for your hammock at 10'.
      > > >
      > > > light_tribe <Garius@> wrote:
      > > http://hammockbliss.safeshopper.com/26/cat26.htm?820
      > > >
      > > > Hi Everyone,
      > > >
      > > > Anyone ever used this hammock stand?
      > > >
      > > > I am really exited to be a new member on this list. I am new to
      > > > hammocking but I have been reading nonstop for about a week, all
      about
      > > > hammocks. (I am sorry I missed an opportunity to meet Ed Speers. I
      > > > used to live in Asheville, now I am in NYC. Anyway, next time I am
      > > > able I will make one of the hangs.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > Garius Hill
      > > > Manhattan backpacking
      > > > novice hammocker
      > > >

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > > >

      > > > don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!!!

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 11, 2007
        On 9/11/07, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...> wrote:

        > Completely OT, Dave, but I just wanted you to know that I smile
        > whenever I see a post from you.
        >
        > Are you familiar with the "Wombles of Wimbledon Common?" and The Womble
        > Song?
        >
        > sandy kramer
        > miami fl

        Underground, Overground, Wombling Free,
        The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we.
        Making good use of the things that we find,
        Things that the everyday folks leave behind.

        Some Wombles are known to have made it to America

        More at
        http://members.tripod.com/~MattWells/lyrics3.htm

        I spent a couple of years in England and Wales in the '70s :]

        Ralph

      • Stuhr, Tim
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 11, 2007
          Garius,

          I don't know how much the HammockBliss stand is but check out the Vario
          Stand by Byers of Maine.
          http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1869642&cp
          =1898548&sr=1&origkw=byers+of+maine&kw=byers+of+maine&parentPage=search&
          searchId=21607485764

          Stoikurt

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 11, 2007
            Sorry, I don't give out autographed photos anymore.

            Dave

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@...>
            wrote:

            > Completely OT, Dave, but I just wanted you to know that I smile
            > whenever I see a post from you.
            >
            > Are you familiar with the "Wombles of Wimbledon Common?" and The Womble
            > Song?
            >
            > sandy kramer
            > miami fl
            >

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>

          • gerzson
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 11, 2007
              On 9/11/07, light_tribe <Garius@...> wrote:
              > I guess I might have to get creative to hang a hammock in my
              > apartment.

              If this is what you want to do and have concrete walls, then you can
              do what I did, using 8x40mm nylon plugs and 4mm corresponding hooks.
              I have now 3 pairs around the house and use them on a daily basis
              (including sleeping overnight).

              gerzson
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 11, 2007
                light trib... take a look at this thread talking about some of the different commercial stands available, w/ some pros & cons. ...tim
                http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=662&highlight=hammock+stand

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" wrote:

                > Garius,

                > I sense that you have not figured out 'hammock geometry' yet. You
                > don't want to hang that 9'10" hammock stretched tight, you will want
                > to hang it somewhat loose, or with some sag, where the ends of the
                > hammock might be separated by 8'5", or somewhere in that range. The
                > issue I see with that 10 foot stand is the 42" height, I would have
                > liked to see it a foot higher. You can still use it but it will limit
                > the amount of sag you can get and still stay off the floor, so your
                > hammock may not be as comfortable as it could be with more sag. You
                > will live through that but may want to hang it with more sag
                > when you are outdoors using trees that allow more flexibility.
                >
                > I have written a few things about sag angle that may or may not help
                > you understand that and they a posted in the files section under
                > Youngblood's stuff
                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/files/Youngblood%27s/ .
                >
                > You mentioned the Speer Segmented Pad Extender to increase comfort, I
                > think you will find that they aren't usually used to increase the
                > comfort of a hammock but to help you stay warm using pads and other
                > items you may already have... they work fine for that.
                >
                > Dave Womble
                > aka Youngblood 2000
                > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt
                >

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "light_tribe" wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks Tim, for the reply,
                > >
                > > I have the Eno Doublenest, it is 9'10" in length, that's cutting it
                > > close with a 10' stand. I live in Manhattan and there are few places
                > > to practice with my new rig to get it just right, before taking it out
                > > in the wild. I am considering the Speer Segmented Pad extenders to
                > > increase comfort. I have a ridgerest and a couple to Wallmart blue
                > > pads to cut up and experiment with.
                > >
                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner wrote:
                > > >
                > > > just be sure it's long enough for your hammock at 10'.
                > > >
                > > > light_tribe wrote:
                > > http://hammockbliss.safeshopper.com/26/cat26.htm?820
                > > >
                > > > Hi Everyone,
                > > >
                > > > Anyone ever used this hammock stand?
                > > >
                > > > I am really exited to be a new member on this list. I am new to
                > > > hammocking but I have been reading nonstop for about a week, all
                about
                > > > hammocks. (I am sorry I missed an opportunity to meet Ed Speers. I
                > > > used to live in Asheville, now I am in NYC. Anyway, next time I am
                > > > able I will make one of the hangs.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > > Garius Hill
                > > > Manhattan backpacking
                > > > novice hammocker
                > > >

                > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > > >

                > > > don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!!!

              • Cara Lin Bridgman
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 14, 2007
                  Do you have photos? You used an 8 mm drill bit and went in 4 cm?

                  I live in rebar reinforced concrete (it's like living in a cave) and am
                  trying to figure out exactly how much of a hole I need to drill to hang
                  my hammock.

                  Most things (like our air-conditioner) are hung by drilling a hole
                  (probably about 0.5 cm wide by 2 cm deep) into the cement, hammering in
                  a plastic (possibly it's nylon) plug, and then screwing in the bolt.
                  This sort of thing will pull straight out, but can hold weights pulling
                  straight down.

                  CL

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 14, 2007
                    On 9/14/07, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:
                    > You used an 8 mm drill bit and went in 4 cm?

                    This is correct.

                    > I live in rebar reinforced concrete (it's like living in a cave) and am

                    Same here.

                    gerzson