Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Bliss portable hammock stand

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 10, 2007
      just be sure it's long enough for your hammock at 10'.

      light_tribe <Garius@...> wrote: http://hammockbliss.safeshopper.com/26/cat26.htm?820

      Hi Everyone,

      Anyone ever used this hammock stand?

      I am really exited to be a new member on this list. I am new to
      hammocking but I have been reading nonstop for about a week, all about
      hammocks. (I am sorry I missed an opportunity to meet Ed Speers. I
      used to live in Asheville, now I am in NYC. Anyway, next time I am
      able I will make one of the hangs.

      Thanks,
      Garius Hill
      Manhattan backpacking
      novice hammocker

    • light_tribe
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 11, 2007
        Thanks Tim, for the reply,

        I have the Eno Doublenest, it is 9'10" in length, that's cutting it
        close with a 10' stand. I live in Manhattan and there are few places
        to practice with my new rig to get it just right, before taking it out
        in the wild. I am considering the Speer Segmented Pad extenders to
        increase comfort. I have a ridgerest and a couple to Wallmart blue
        pads to cut up and experiment with.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 11, 2007
          Garius,

          I sense that you have not figured out 'hammock geometry' yet. You
          don't want to hang that 9'10" hammock stretched tight, you will want
          to hang it somewhat loose, or with some sag, where the ends of the
          hammock might be separated by 8'5", or somewhere in that range. The
          issue I see with that 10 foot stand is the 42" height, I would have
          liked to see it a foot higher. You can still use it but it will limit
          the amount of sag you can get and still stay off the floor, so your
          hammock may not be as comfortable as it could be with more sag. You
          will live through that <grin> but may want to hang it with more sag
          when you are outdoors using trees that allow more flexibility.

          I have written a few things about sag angle that may or may not help
          you understand that and they a posted in the files section under
          Youngblood's stuff
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/files/Youngblood%27s/ .

          You mentioned the Speer Segmented Pad Extender to increase comfort, I
          think you will find that they aren't usually used to increase the
          comfort of a hammock but to help you stay warm using pads and other
          items you may already have... they work fine for that.

          Dave Womble
          aka Youngblood 2000
          designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "light_tribe" <Garius@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Tim, for the reply,
          >
          > I have the Eno Doublenest, it is 9'10" in length, that's cutting it
          > close with a 10' stand. I live in Manhattan and there are few places
          > to practice with my new rig to get it just right, before taking it out
          > in the wild. I am considering the Speer Segmented Pad extenders to
          > increase comfort. I have a ridgerest and a couple to Wallmart blue
          > pads to cut up and experiment with.
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@> wrote:
          > >
          > > just be sure it's long enough for your hammock at 10'.
          > >
          > > light_tribe <Garius@> wrote:
          > http://hammockbliss.safeshopper.com/26/cat26.htm?820
          > >
          > > Hi Everyone,
          > >
          > > Anyone ever used this hammock stand?
          > >
          > > I am really exited to be a new member on this list. I am new to
          > > hammocking but I have been reading nonstop for about a week, all about
          > > hammocks. (I am sorry I missed an opportunity to meet Ed Speers. I
          > > used to live in Asheville, now I am in NYC. Anyway, next time I am
          > > able I will make one of the hangs.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Garius Hill
          > > Manhattan backpacking
          > > novice hammocker
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • light_tribe
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 11, 2007
            Hi Dave,

            Thanks for the reply and fantastic resource. I took a look at your
            amazing word doc on sag angle. Fabulous diagrams! It's great to have
            all this information. My first overnight hammock hang will be better
            for it i am willing to bet. I would also wager that some of the ole'
            timer hammockers would have liked to have had so much info and product
            choice a few years back.

            I guess I might have to get creative to hang a hammock in my
            apartment. The Hammock Bliss stand doesn't seem tall enough for the
            right sag angle, butt would drag the ground. <g>

            Thanks!

            > Garius,

            > I sense that you have not figured out 'hammock geometry' yet. You
            > don't want to hang that 9'10" hammock stretched tight, you will want
            > to hang it somewhat loose, or with some sag, where the ends of the
            > hammock might be separated by 8'5", or somewhere in that range. The
            > issue I see with that 10 foot stand is the 42" height, I would have
            > liked to see it a foot higher. You can still use it but it will limit
            > the amount of sag you can get and still stay off the floor, so your
            > hammock may not be as comfortable as it could be with more sag. You
            > will live through that <grin> but may want to hang it with more sag
            > when you are outdoors using trees that allow more flexibility.
            >
            > I have written a few things about sag angle that may or may not help
            > you understand that and they a posted in the files section under
            > Youngblood's stuff
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/files/Youngblood%27s/ .
            >
            > You mentioned the Speer Segmented Pad Extender to increase comfort, I
            > think you will find that they aren't usually used to increase the
            > comfort of a hammock but to help you stay warm using pads and other
            > items you may already have... they work fine for that.
            >
            > Dave Womble
            > aka Youngblood 2000
            > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt
            >

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "light_tribe" <Garius@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks Tim, for the reply,
            > >
            > > I have the Eno Doublenest, it is 9'10" in length, that's cutting it
            > > close with a 10' stand. I live in Manhattan and there are few places
            > > to practice with my new rig to get it just right, before taking it out
            > > in the wild. I am considering the Speer Segmented Pad extenders to
            > > increase comfort. I have a ridgerest and a couple to Wallmart blue
            > > pads to cut up and experiment with.
            > >
            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > just be sure it's long enough for your hammock at 10'.
            > > >
            > > > light_tribe <Garius@> wrote:
            > > http://hammockbliss.safeshopper.com/26/cat26.htm?820
            > > >
            > > > Hi Everyone,
            > > >
            > > > Anyone ever used this hammock stand?
            > > >
            > > > I am really exited to be a new member on this list. I am new to
            > > > hammocking but I have been reading nonstop for about a week, all
            about
            > > > hammocks. (I am sorry I missed an opportunity to meet Ed Speers. I
            > > > used to live in Asheville, now I am in NYC. Anyway, next time I am
            > > > able I will make one of the hangs.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Garius Hill
            > > > Manhattan backpacking
            > > > novice hammocker
            > > >

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > > >

            > > > don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!!!

          • Sandy Kramer
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 11, 2007
              Completely OT, Dave, but I just wanted you to know that I smile
              whenever I see a post from you.

              Are you familiar with the "Wombles of Wimbledon Common?" and The Womble
              Song?

              sandy kramer
              miami fl

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 11, 2007
                On 9/11/07, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                > Completely OT, Dave, but I just wanted you to know that I smile
                > whenever I see a post from you.
                >
                > Are you familiar with the "Wombles of Wimbledon Common?" and The Womble
                > Song?
                >
                > sandy kramer
                > miami fl

                Underground, Overground, Wombling Free,
                The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we.
                Making good use of the things that we find,
                Things that the everyday folks leave behind.

                Some Wombles are known to have made it to America

                More at
                http://members.tripod.com/~MattWells/lyrics3.htm

                I spent a couple of years in England and Wales in the '70s :]

                Ralph

              • Stuhr, Tim
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 11, 2007
                  Garius,

                  I don't know how much the HammockBliss stand is but check out the Vario
                  Stand by Byers of Maine.
                  http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1869642&cp
                  =1898548&sr=1&origkw=byers+of+maine&kw=byers+of+maine&parentPage=search&
                  searchId=21607485764

                  Stoikurt

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 11, 2007
                    Sorry, I don't give out autographed photos anymore.

                    Dave

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Completely OT, Dave, but I just wanted you to know that I smile
                    > whenever I see a post from you.
                    >
                    > Are you familiar with the "Wombles of Wimbledon Common?" and The Womble
                    > Song?
                    >
                    > sandy kramer
                    > miami fl
                    >

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>

                  • gerzson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 11, 2007
                      On 9/11/07, light_tribe <Garius@...> wrote:
                      > I guess I might have to get creative to hang a hammock in my
                      > apartment.

                      If this is what you want to do and have concrete walls, then you can
                      do what I did, using 8x40mm nylon plugs and 4mm corresponding hooks.
                      I have now 3 pairs around the house and use them on a daily basis
                      (including sleeping overnight).

                      gerzson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 11, 2007
                        light trib... take a look at this thread talking about some of the different commercial stands available, w/ some pros & cons. ...tim
                        http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=662&highlight=hammock+stand

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" wrote:

                        > Garius,

                        > I sense that you have not figured out 'hammock geometry' yet. You
                        > don't want to hang that 9'10" hammock stretched tight, you will want
                        > to hang it somewhat loose, or with some sag, where the ends of the
                        > hammock might be separated by 8'5", or somewhere in that range. The
                        > issue I see with that 10 foot stand is the 42" height, I would have
                        > liked to see it a foot higher. You can still use it but it will limit
                        > the amount of sag you can get and still stay off the floor, so your
                        > hammock may not be as comfortable as it could be with more sag. You
                        > will live through that but may want to hang it with more sag
                        > when you are outdoors using trees that allow more flexibility.
                        >
                        > I have written a few things about sag angle that may or may not help
                        > you understand that and they a posted in the files section under
                        > Youngblood's stuff
                        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/files/Youngblood%27s/ .
                        >
                        > You mentioned the Speer Segmented Pad Extender to increase comfort, I
                        > think you will find that they aren't usually used to increase the
                        > comfort of a hammock but to help you stay warm using pads and other
                        > items you may already have... they work fine for that.
                        >
                        > Dave Womble
                        > aka Youngblood 2000
                        > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt
                        >

                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "light_tribe" wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Thanks Tim, for the reply,
                        > >
                        > > I have the Eno Doublenest, it is 9'10" in length, that's cutting it
                        > > close with a 10' stand. I live in Manhattan and there are few places
                        > > to practice with my new rig to get it just right, before taking it out
                        > > in the wild. I am considering the Speer Segmented Pad extenders to
                        > > increase comfort. I have a ridgerest and a couple to Wallmart blue
                        > > pads to cut up and experiment with.
                        > >
                        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > just be sure it's long enough for your hammock at 10'.
                        > > >
                        > > > light_tribe wrote:
                        > > http://hammockbliss.safeshopper.com/26/cat26.htm?820
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi Everyone,
                        > > >
                        > > > Anyone ever used this hammock stand?
                        > > >
                        > > > I am really exited to be a new member on this list. I am new to
                        > > > hammocking but I have been reading nonstop for about a week, all
                        about
                        > > > hammocks. (I am sorry I missed an opportunity to meet Ed Speers. I
                        > > > used to live in Asheville, now I am in NYC. Anyway, next time I am
                        > > > able I will make one of the hangs.
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks,
                        > > > Garius Hill
                        > > > Manhattan backpacking
                        > > > novice hammocker
                        > > >

                        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        > > >

                        > > > don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!!!

                      • Cara Lin Bridgman
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 14, 2007
                          Do you have photos? You used an 8 mm drill bit and went in 4 cm?

                          I live in rebar reinforced concrete (it's like living in a cave) and am
                          trying to figure out exactly how much of a hole I need to drill to hang
                          my hammock.

                          Most things (like our air-conditioner) are hung by drilling a hole
                          (probably about 0.5 cm wide by 2 cm deep) into the cement, hammering in
                          a plastic (possibly it's nylon) plug, and then screwing in the bolt.
                          This sort of thing will pull straight out, but can hold weights pulling
                          straight down.

                          CL

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 14, 2007
                            On 9/14/07, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:
                            > You used an 8 mm drill bit and went in 4 cm?

                            This is correct.

                            > I live in rebar reinforced concrete (it's like living in a cave) and am

                            Same here.

                            gerzson