Re: single point hoisting systems

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
      I second the opinion that Maryland offers little in the way of danger
      from critters. I've camped in Maryland for about 50 years as well as
      Virginia, W. VA, Pennsylvania, and New York, all of which have the
      animals that you are worried about. They just don't bother you.
      They're more afraid of you than you of them. Bears and coyotes are
      not terribly curious about you, so if you take simple precautions:
      don't leave food or garbage around, if you see them, it will be at a
      distance, and you can count yourself fortunate for having seen such
      rare animals in the wild.

      I've camped in Yellowstone and Yosemite, and been chased by bears
      there. We did stupid stuff, and attracted the bears to us. Take
      care of food and garbage, and you'll be safe enough. I can't think
      of any pubicized attacks by bears in MD, and the last one in VA was a
      long long time ago.

      I've seen bears, yes in state parks and coyotes in MD. It's fun to
      see 'em.

      Steve
      Maryland
    • C C Wayah
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
        Rick,
        Search mountain climbing gear shelters, they often hang from the mountains
        with one point systems.
        Rogene

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
          another problem w/ the one point hanging hammocks besides the difficulty of entering & exiting, danger of being that much higher, & rain protection, is that i believe you would have squished shoulders by the way the hammock hangs... that's thinking about something like the bat hammock.
          i can't imagin that the platform types that rock climbers use, would be something you would want to be backpacking w/. ...tim

          C C Wayah <ccwayah@...> wrote:
          Rick,
          Search mountain climbing gear shelters, they often hang from the mountains
          with one point systems.
          Rogene

          > I want to look into SINGLE point hoisting systems that will raise a
          > hammock above the trail for a safe night rest. Does anyone have any
          > links or pointers for us?
          >
          > Rick

        • Sandy Kramer
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 11, 2007
            That was a fun read - very clever idea.

            Just don't forget your pee bottle before you hoist (<<<It is a good
            idea if you are camping in Bear country, because you can throw the
            rope over the limb and pull yourself up as high as you need to go.>>)

            sandy kramer
            miami fl