Re: single point hoisting systems

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
      I second the opinion that Maryland offers little in the way of danger
      from critters. I've camped in Maryland for about 50 years as well as
      Virginia, W. VA, Pennsylvania, and New York, all of which have the
      animals that you are worried about. They just don't bother you.
      They're more afraid of you than you of them. Bears and coyotes are
      not terribly curious about you, so if you take simple precautions:
      don't leave food or garbage around, if you see them, it will be at a
      distance, and you can count yourself fortunate for having seen such
      rare animals in the wild.

      I've camped in Yellowstone and Yosemite, and been chased by bears
      there. We did stupid stuff, and attracted the bears to us. Take
      care of food and garbage, and you'll be safe enough. I can't think
      of any pubicized attacks by bears in MD, and the last one in VA was a
      long long time ago.

      I've seen bears, yes in state parks and coyotes in MD. It's fun to
      see 'em.

      Steve
      Maryland
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
        richard... i agree full heartedly w/ dave. when people haven't spent a lot of time in the woods, we tend to hear & focus on the scary stories that people tell... & they are often exaggerated or from some other place far, far away<g>.
        fact is that VERY few people get into dangerous situations w/ animals on the trails of the south east.
        another fact is that when you get off the road, out of the car, & on the trail, you'll be far safer than you were driving there<g>. ...tim

        Richard Tucker <tuckerloans@...> wrote:
        Hello! I look forward in reading posts and learning from everyone. My
        son and I have started hiking and we are getting to the point of
        camping over night. We live in Maryland and we have already seen
        coyote, fox and have heard of a black bear sighting in our area.

        I want to look into SINGLE point hoisting systems that will raise a
        hammock above the trail for a safe night rest. Does anyone have any
        links or pointers for us?

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
          I want to look into SINGLE point hoisting systems that will raise a
          hammock above the trail for a safe night rest. Does anyone have any
          links or pointers for us?

          Rick

          In the middle of the night, I'm often in a hurry to get out of the hammock
          for just a couple of minutes.:]

          The bat hammock seems like it would be extremly difficult to exit,
          especially if it was 10 ft up in the air. (and your rain protection is zero)

          Keep a clean camp and hang your hammock wiast high, you will be much happier
          and safer. You really don't want your son falling out of a hammock that is
          really high up.

          Ralph (Camping in Idaho with coyotes, skunks, cougars and bears)

        • C C Wayah
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
            Rick,
            Search mountain climbing gear shelters, they often hang from the mountains
            with one point systems.
            Rogene

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
              another problem w/ the one point hanging hammocks besides the difficulty of entering & exiting, danger of being that much higher, & rain protection, is that i believe you would have squished shoulders by the way the hammock hangs... that's thinking about something like the bat hammock.
              i can't imagin that the platform types that rock climbers use, would be something you would want to be backpacking w/. ...tim

              C C Wayah <ccwayah@...> wrote:
              Rick,
              Search mountain climbing gear shelters, they often hang from the mountains
              with one point systems.
              Rogene

              > I want to look into SINGLE point hoisting systems that will raise a
              > hammock above the trail for a safe night rest. Does anyone have any
              > links or pointers for us?
              >
              > Rick

            • Sandy Kramer
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 11, 2007
                That was a fun read - very clever idea.

                Just don't forget your pee bottle before you hoist (<<<It is a good
                idea if you are camping in Bear country, because you can throw the
                rope over the limb and pull yourself up as high as you need to go.>>)

                sandy kramer
                miami fl