Re: [Hammock Camping] single point hoisting systems

  • Dick Matthews
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
      Maybe the bat hammock.

      http://www.mosquitohammock.com/bathammock.html

      Dick Matthews

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Tucker"
        <tuckerloans@...> wrote:

        > Hello! I look forward in reading posts and learning from everyone. My
        > son and I have started hiking and we are getting to the point of
        > camping over night. We live in Maryland and we have already seen
        > coyote, fox and have heard of a black bear sighting in our area.
        >
        > I want to look into SINGLE point hoisting systems that will raise a
        > hammock above the trail for a safe night rest. Does anyone have any
        > links or pointers for us?
        >
        > Rick

        Rick,

        As a new backpacker, I think you may be overreacting to the dangers of
        backpacking in Maryland. In other areas of the world your precautions
        might be warranted but I don't think so in Maryland. It is customary
        to hang your food, cooking utensils and other smellables overnight to
        keep critters out of them. You should be fine sleeping in a tent,
        trail shelter, under a tarp or just under the sky. Of course most of
        us here prefer hammocks but that is not usually for a safely issue.

        Suspending yourself in a tree out of reach of wild animals is a danger
        in itself may be far greater danger that the threats of wild animals
        in Maryland. Maybe you should look at starting out camping on the
        Appalachian Trail, it goes through Maryland and has some shelters that
        other folks are likely to be camping at as well-- bring your own tent,
        hammocks, or whatever, and set them up near the shelter. There are
        usually tent sites close by and trees for hammocks. That should
        soothe your nerves about the noises critters make in the night and
        give you a chance to see how others handle camping issues. Another
        option would be starting out at primitive campsites, both private ones
        and at state parks where you wouldn't feel isolated or even one of the
        drive in campsites where your vehicle is near bye.

        A lot of us will be camping in such a campsite this weekend in Hot
        Springs, NC on one of our SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association
        (SEHHA) get togethers. The Appalachian Trail goes through the town of
        Hot Springs, NC. http://www.hammockcamping.com/Assets/HotSpringsSep07.htm

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood 2000
        Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and the SnugFit Underquilt
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
          I second the opinion that Maryland offers little in the way of danger
          from critters. I've camped in Maryland for about 50 years as well as
          Virginia, W. VA, Pennsylvania, and New York, all of which have the
          animals that you are worried about. They just don't bother you.
          They're more afraid of you than you of them. Bears and coyotes are
          not terribly curious about you, so if you take simple precautions:
          don't leave food or garbage around, if you see them, it will be at a
          distance, and you can count yourself fortunate for having seen such
          rare animals in the wild.

          I've camped in Yellowstone and Yosemite, and been chased by bears
          there. We did stupid stuff, and attracted the bears to us. Take
          care of food and garbage, and you'll be safe enough. I can't think
          of any pubicized attacks by bears in MD, and the last one in VA was a
          long long time ago.

          I've seen bears, yes in state parks and coyotes in MD. It's fun to
          see 'em.

          Steve
          Maryland
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
            richard... i agree full heartedly w/ dave. when people haven't spent a lot of time in the woods, we tend to hear & focus on the scary stories that people tell... & they are often exaggerated or from some other place far, far away<g>.
            fact is that VERY few people get into dangerous situations w/ animals on the trails of the south east.
            another fact is that when you get off the road, out of the car, & on the trail, you'll be far safer than you were driving there<g>. ...tim

            Richard Tucker <tuckerloans@...> wrote:
            Hello! I look forward in reading posts and learning from everyone. My
            son and I have started hiking and we are getting to the point of
            camping over night. We live in Maryland and we have already seen
            coyote, fox and have heard of a black bear sighting in our area.

            I want to look into SINGLE point hoisting systems that will raise a
            hammock above the trail for a safe night rest. Does anyone have any
            links or pointers for us?

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
              I want to look into SINGLE point hoisting systems that will raise a
              hammock above the trail for a safe night rest. Does anyone have any
              links or pointers for us?

              Rick

              In the middle of the night, I'm often in a hurry to get out of the hammock
              for just a couple of minutes.:]

              The bat hammock seems like it would be extremly difficult to exit,
              especially if it was 10 ft up in the air. (and your rain protection is zero)

              Keep a clean camp and hang your hammock wiast high, you will be much happier
              and safer. You really don't want your son falling out of a hammock that is
              really high up.

              Ralph (Camping in Idaho with coyotes, skunks, cougars and bears)

            • C C Wayah
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
                Rick,
                Search mountain climbing gear shelters, they often hang from the mountains
                with one point systems.
                Rogene

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
                  another problem w/ the one point hanging hammocks besides the difficulty of entering & exiting, danger of being that much higher, & rain protection, is that i believe you would have squished shoulders by the way the hammock hangs... that's thinking about something like the bat hammock.
                  i can't imagin that the platform types that rock climbers use, would be something you would want to be backpacking w/. ...tim

                  C C Wayah <ccwayah@...> wrote:
                  Rick,
                  Search mountain climbing gear shelters, they often hang from the mountains
                  with one point systems.
                  Rogene

                  > I want to look into SINGLE point hoisting systems that will raise a
                  > hammock above the trail for a safe night rest. Does anyone have any
                  > links or pointers for us?
                  >
                  > Rick

                • Sandy Kramer
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 11, 2007
                    That was a fun read - very clever idea.

                    Just don't forget your pee bottle before you hoist (<<<It is a good
                    idea if you are camping in Bear country, because you can throw the
                    rope over the limb and pull yourself up as high as you need to go.>>)

                    sandy kramer
                    miami fl