[Hammock Camping] Re: hammock bivy idea!

  • Debra Weisenstein
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
      I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
      http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG

      My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it needs
      to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
      drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling. If
      I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
      bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.

      DebW

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@...> wrote:

      > Deb
      > can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love
      your pod its just what i have been looking for..

      > BTW what kind if hammock do you have..
      >
      > Billy

    • Debra Weisenstein
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
        Yes, I put darts in the insulation. I didn't sew the darts together
        in the insulation, just cut out the excess and let the sewing on the
        edges hold it together. The insulation really is sticky so it sticks
        to itself pretty well.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "d2aisy2000" <delliott78@...>
        wrote:

        > Deb,
        > Thanks for your description of the measuring techniques and darts you
        > used for your bivy. I made a down-insulated hammock (lengthwise
        > tubes), and arrived at a good 3-dimensional shape by inspecting and
        > adjusting the baffles before I attached the bottom surface and
        > injected the down. Now I want to make a primaloft version for someone
        > who's allergic to down. Your experience with Climashield could be
        > very helpful. Did you put darts in the insulation as well as the
        > bottom cover? I've thought of sewing the primaloft into tubes and
        > using baffles, as I did with my down hammock, but I like the idea of
        > just sewing the insulation at the edges of the hammock. Thanks.
        > David
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"

      • mrbyer
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
          That diagram helps immensely. Thank you for taking the time to make
          and post it.

          <dweisens@...> wrote:

          > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
          > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
          >
          > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it needs
          > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
          > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling. If
          > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
          > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
          >
          > DebW
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Deb
          > > can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love
          > your pod its just what i have been looking for..
          > >
          > > BTW what kind if hammock do you have..
          > >
          > > Billy

        • rghickma
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 17, 2007
            I finished my cocoon this weekend to go over my Speer type hammock.
            Using the diagram was very helpful saved me lots of time in deciding
            about where the darts should start. It turned out great.

            Materials I used:
            1.9 Ripstop for the outside and top
            1.1 Ripstop for inside (over insulation)
            Climashield Combat for insulation
            3/32 shock cord for both drawstrings

            Since I did not put any Velcro on outside of the bivy, I slid it
            over the ridge line to allow the bug netting to stay sealed. If
            others are going to use ridgeline and bug netting inside the cocoon
            I might recommend adding 8-10inches to the length at the fool end.

            I also did not cut darts into the insulation. I did sew in some
            slack (careful not to bunching it up) to simulate darts allowing the
            center to not have tension (as it still needs to be longer like the
            fabric. This way the insulation did take the shape very well
            without bunching up.

            Preliminary testing shows it to really add warmth with flexibility
            to adjust the tension on the drawstring allowing adjustment to the
            warmth.

            Looking forward to getting it into the outdoors.

            Deb, Thanks again for your time to provide so much information for
            other do-it-yourselfers!

            /Rodney

            <dweisens@...> wrote:

            > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
            > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
            >
            > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it
            needs
            > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
            > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling.
            If
            > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
            > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
            >
            > DebW
          • mrbyer
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 17, 2007
              Great to hear. I am looking for some time to set aside to sew mine.
              Post some pics when you get a chance. And continued thanks to Deb...

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rghickma"
              <rodney.g.hickman@...> wrote:

              > I finished my cocoon this weekend to go over my Speer type hammock.
              > Using the diagram was very helpful saved me lots of time in deciding
              > about where the darts should start. It turned out great.
              >
              > Materials I used:
              > 1.9 Ripstop for the outside and top
              > 1.1 Ripstop for inside (over insulation)
              > Climashield Combat for insulation
              > 3/32 shock cord for both drawstrings
              >
              > Since I did not put any Velcro on outside of the bivy, I slid it
              > over the ridge line to allow the bug netting to stay sealed. If
              > others are going to use ridgeline and bug netting inside the cocoon
              > I might recommend adding 8-10inches to the length at the fool end.
              >
              > I also did not cut darts into the insulation. I did sew in some
              > slack (careful not to bunching it up) to simulate darts allowing the
              > center to not have tension (as it still needs to be longer like the
              > fabric. This way the insulation did take the shape very well
              > without bunching up.
              >
              > Preliminary testing shows it to really add warmth with flexibility
              > to adjust the tension on the drawstring allowing adjustment to the
              > warmth.
              >
              > Looking forward to getting it into the outdoors.
              >
              > Deb, Thanks again for your time to provide so much information for
              > other do-it-yourselfers!
              >
              > /Rodney
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
              > <dweisens@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
              > > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
              > >
              > > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it
              > needs
              > > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
              > > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling.
              > If
              > > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
              > > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
              > >
              > > DebW

            • Patrick
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 18, 2007
                FWIW, I finished my SockPod (that's what I'm calling it, I suppose). Not
                quite as nice as what ya'll would come up with, but it will work for
                me... here's the link to photos:
                http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/HammockSockPod
                <http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/HammockSockPod>

                Here's my report from another forum:

                It's modeled after a bug bivvy I made a while back, (also modeled after
                Blackbishop's hammock sock
                <http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/sock-inside1.jpg> , and
                Just Jeff's hammock sock
                <http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html> and Risk's
                travel pod <http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm> ) and it
                consists of 2 sheets of 125" x 60" 1.9 oz. DWR ripstop sewn together to
                form a tube, with a 96'-ish #3 zipper (with 2 reversable pulls that
                close head-to-head) at one seam and paracord drawstrings at the ends.

                The drawstrings at the ends allow for easy setup and ventilation on each
                end, and the zipper allows the pod/sock to be completely closed on the
                ends, but still allows flexible ventilation through a moveable,
                resizable, zippered vent hole (like Risk's pod). You can either pull it
                up over you like a sock, or leave it set up completely and enter through
                the side zipper entrance. The zipper entrance can also act as a window
                to outside, which I find pretty important.

                I have no idea what it weighs, but it could (always!) be made to be
                lighter, by using lighter materials (lighter ripstop, etc), these were
                just the materials I had at hand. I did use a lighter zipper, #3, and
                also pulled the center fibers out of the paracord, but the biggest
                difference would be the weight of the material itself. I also didn't try
                to taper the material like Risk did.