Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: hammock bivy idea!

Expand Messages
  • gerzson
    My experience with a hammock sock was that it is significantly warmer but creates lots of condensation. Mine was made from a non-breathable ripstop and was
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 6, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      My experience with a hammock sock was that it is significantly warmer
      but creates lots of condensation. Mine was made from a non-breathable
      ripstop and was full length - asking for it :)

      Now I am thinking of making one with one side mesh and one side
      breathable ripstop and use it in the summer with the mesh side up and
      in the winter rotated to a litle more than 90 degrees so I will have a
      mesh window (on the downwind side). The tube will also be able to
      support some bottom insulation.

      gerzson
    • rghickma
      Deb, Your cocoon is great, thank you much for sharing your process, material choices, and the picture. I hope you don t mind if I copy your ideas. The
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 8, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        Deb,

        Your cocoon is great, thank you much for sharing your process,
        material choices, and the picture.

        I hope you don't mind if I copy your ideas. The information you
        provided is perfect, I can't wait to get started. I ordered the
        materials this morning. I ordered the Climashield Combat, I chose
        this because it looked to be near the HL specs and was a happy
        medium between the choices of Climashield XP (since I couldn't
        decide). :)

        I have a Speer hammock (from kit) with bug net, I think the bug
        netting over the face area will add warmth while keeping the
        breathing/condensation under control when the cocoon is pulled into
        place. I planning to use 1.9 ripstop from Ed Speer in hopes it will
        be breathable enough.

        I have gone from a scientific minded, measurement oriented person to
        a build by process. I like your ideas on how to simply make it to
        fit you/hammock. I am fortunate enough that my son is the same size
        as me, I am going to make him get in and I will pin it up to fit.
        Poor kid doesn't even know it is coming. :)

        Thanks again for taking the time to share.

        /Rodney

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
        <dweisens@...> wrote:
        >
        > The insulation I used was Climashield HL, purchased from
        > thru-hiker.com (though the web site shows only Climashield XP
        > currently). I sewed it into the seams of the bag, but did not
        quilt
        > it, so it is attached only at it's edges and seems fine after 2
        years
        > of use. I can't give you a blueprint because my hammock is
        > non-standard in length and width. What I did was hang the hammock
        and
        > lay inside. Then I tied a string to the foot end and used it to
        > measure the length from foot-end hanging strap to my neck on the
        top
        > side and bottom side of the hammock. The difference in top and
        bottom
        > measurements was what had to be removed with darts, by cutting out
        > several triangles of fabric and then sewing the edges together,
        > turning a flat piece of fabric into a 3-dimensional object. I
        think
        > the darts were about 12 inches deep. To get the needed
        circumference
        > of the pod, I measured it at various points while laying in it. I
        > could make a crude drawing of the pieces of fabric if this isn't
        clear.
        >
        > DebW
        >
      • d2aisy2000
        Deb, Thanks for your description of the measuring techniques and darts you used for your bivy. I made a down-insulated hammock (lengthwise tubes), and
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          Deb,
          Thanks for your description of the measuring techniques and darts you
          used for your bivy. I made a down-insulated hammock (lengthwise
          tubes), and arrived at a good 3-dimensional shape by inspecting and
          adjusting the baffles before I attached the bottom surface and
          injected the down. Now I want to make a primaloft version for someone
          who's allergic to down. Your experience with Climashield could be
          very helpful. Did you put darts in the insulation as well as the
          bottom cover? I've thought of sewing the primaloft into tubes and
          using baffles, as I did with my down hammock, but I like the idea of
          just sewing the insulation at the edges of the hammock. Thanks.
          David
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
          <dweisens@...> wrote:
          >
          > I'm no longer using the hammock bivy, as it was somewhat heavy and had
          > condensation problems. What I'm currently using and absolutely love
          > is a sock/travelpod/cocoon which I insulated on the bottom and sides.
          > I can't seem to add a picture to my album on this site, but try this
          > link (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2250133370074761024yGKxmA).
          >
          > The key to making this a perfect fit on the hammock was to make the
          > bottom/side fabric longer than the top fabric. I put 4 10-inch darts
          > in the sides of the bottom fabric before sewing it to the shorter top
          > fabric. Without the darts, it would either cover my face or leave the
          > bottom side of my shoulders exposed. Because of the good fit around
          > the shoulders, and the bottom and side insulation, I need no foam pad
          > in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
          > excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the synthetic
          > insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
          > top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't need a
          > sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
          > weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could bring
          > an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system has
          > proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
          > repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
          > windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.
          >
          > DebW
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube* for
          > > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
          > > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I can
          > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie the
          > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline. Conversely,
          > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
          > >
          > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
          > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
          > >
          > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of ripstop, and
          > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...
          > >
          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > >
          > > > mrbyer <mrbyer@> wrote:
          > > > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's and
          > > if
          > > > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help a
          > > newbie
          > > > with a sewing machine. Thanks.
          > > >
          > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" wrote:
          > > > >
          > > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994"
          > > > > wrote:
          > > > > > Had an idea today. A hanging hammock bivy.
          > > > >
          > > > > Check out DebW's gallery first:
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/lst?.dir=/DebW%
          > > > > 27s+Photos&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%
          > > 3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/
          > > > >
          >
        • Debra Weisenstein
          I ve posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG My design has no zippers, just a
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
            http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG

            My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it needs
            to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
            drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling. If
            I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
            bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.

            DebW

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@...> wrote:
            >
            > Deb
            > can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love
            your pod its just what i have been looking for..
            >
            > BTW what kind if hammock do you have..
            >
            > Billy
            > ----- Original Message -----
            > From: mrbyer
            > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
            > Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 8:51 PM
            > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: hammock bivy idea!
            >
            >
            > I think I am confused as to exactly where the darts were removed. What
            > edges, what direction. I apologize for my not understanding. Is your
            > foot end a separate piece that was sewn on or did you remove material
            > to get the cone shape? I can't see any seams in your phot so I think
            > that also makes it difficult for me.
            >
            > R
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
            > <dweisens@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The insulation I used was Climashield HL, purchased from
            > > thru-hiker.com (though the web site shows only Climashield XP
            > > currently). I sewed it into the seams of the bag, but did not quilt
            > > it, so it is attached only at it's edges and seems fine after 2
            years
            > > of use. I can't give you a blueprint because my hammock is
            > > non-standard in length and width. What I did was hang the
            hammock and
            > > lay inside. Then I tied a string to the foot end and used it to
            > > measure the length from foot-end hanging strap to my neck on the top
            > > side and bottom side of the hammock. The difference in top and
            bottom
            > > measurements was what had to be removed with darts, by cutting out
            > > several triangles of fabric and then sewing the edges together,
            > > turning a flat piece of fabric into a 3-dimensional object. I think
            > > the darts were about 12 inches deep. To get the needed circumference
            > > of the pod, I measured it at various points while laying in it. I
            > > could make a crude drawing of the pieces of fabric if this isn't
            clear.
            > >
            > > DebW
            > >
          • Debra Weisenstein
            Yes, I put darts in the insulation. I didn t sew the darts together in the insulation, just cut out the excess and let the sewing on the edges hold it
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              Yes, I put darts in the insulation. I didn't sew the darts together
              in the insulation, just cut out the excess and let the sewing on the
              edges hold it together. The insulation really is sticky so it sticks
              to itself pretty well.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "d2aisy2000" <delliott78@...>
              wrote:
              >
              > Deb,
              > Thanks for your description of the measuring techniques and darts you
              > used for your bivy. I made a down-insulated hammock (lengthwise
              > tubes), and arrived at a good 3-dimensional shape by inspecting and
              > adjusting the baffles before I attached the bottom surface and
              > injected the down. Now I want to make a primaloft version for someone
              > who's allergic to down. Your experience with Climashield could be
              > very helpful. Did you put darts in the insulation as well as the
              > bottom cover? I've thought of sewing the primaloft into tubes and
              > using baffles, as I did with my down hammock, but I like the idea of
              > just sewing the insulation at the edges of the hammock. Thanks.
              > David
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
              >
            • mrbyer
              That diagram helps immensely. Thank you for taking the time to make and post it. ... removed. What ... material ... quilt ... the top ... think ...
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                That diagram helps immensely. Thank you for taking the time to make
                and post it.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
                <dweisens@...> wrote:
                >
                > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
                >
                > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it needs
                > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling. If
                > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
                >
                > DebW
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Deb
                > > can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love
                > your pod its just what i have been looking for..
                > >
                > > BTW what kind if hammock do you have..
                > >
                > > Billy
                > > ----- Original Message -----
                > > From: mrbyer
                > > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                > > Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 8:51 PM
                > > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: hammock bivy idea!
                > >
                > >
                > > I think I am confused as to exactly where the darts were
                removed. What
                > > edges, what direction. I apologize for my not understanding. Is your
                > > foot end a separate piece that was sewn on or did you remove
                material
                > > to get the cone shape? I can't see any seams in your phot so I think
                > > that also makes it difficult for me.
                > >
                > > R
                > >
                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
                > > <dweisens@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > The insulation I used was Climashield HL, purchased from
                > > > thru-hiker.com (though the web site shows only Climashield XP
                > > > currently). I sewed it into the seams of the bag, but did not
                quilt
                > > > it, so it is attached only at it's edges and seems fine after 2
                > years
                > > > of use. I can't give you a blueprint because my hammock is
                > > > non-standard in length and width. What I did was hang the
                > hammock and
                > > > lay inside. Then I tied a string to the foot end and used it to
                > > > measure the length from foot-end hanging strap to my neck on
                the top
                > > > side and bottom side of the hammock. The difference in top and
                > bottom
                > > > measurements was what had to be removed with darts, by cutting out
                > > > several triangles of fabric and then sewing the edges together,
                > > > turning a flat piece of fabric into a 3-dimensional object. I
                think
                > > > the darts were about 12 inches deep. To get the needed
                circumference
                > > > of the pod, I measured it at various points while laying in it. I
                > > > could make a crude drawing of the pieces of fabric if this isn't
                > clear.
                > > >
                > > > DebW
                > > >
                >
              • rghickma
                I finished my cocoon this weekend to go over my Speer type hammock. Using the diagram was very helpful saved me lots of time in deciding about where the darts
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 17, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  I finished my cocoon this weekend to go over my Speer type hammock.
                  Using the diagram was very helpful saved me lots of time in deciding
                  about where the darts should start. It turned out great.

                  Materials I used:
                  1.9 Ripstop for the outside and top
                  1.1 Ripstop for inside (over insulation)
                  Climashield Combat for insulation
                  3/32 shock cord for both drawstrings

                  Since I did not put any Velcro on outside of the bivy, I slid it
                  over the ridge line to allow the bug netting to stay sealed. If
                  others are going to use ridgeline and bug netting inside the cocoon
                  I might recommend adding 8-10inches to the length at the fool end.

                  I also did not cut darts into the insulation. I did sew in some
                  slack (careful not to bunching it up) to simulate darts allowing the
                  center to not have tension (as it still needs to be longer like the
                  fabric. This way the insulation did take the shape very well
                  without bunching up.

                  Preliminary testing shows it to really add warmth with flexibility
                  to adjust the tension on the drawstring allowing adjustment to the
                  warmth.

                  Looking forward to getting it into the outdoors.

                  Deb, Thanks again for your time to provide so much information for
                  other do-it-yourselfers!

                  /Rodney

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
                  <dweisens@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                  > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
                  >
                  > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it
                  needs
                  > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                  > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling.
                  If
                  > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                  > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
                  >
                  > DebW
                • mrbyer
                  Great to hear. I am looking for some time to set aside to sew mine. Post some pics when you get a chance. And continued thanks to Deb...
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 17, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Great to hear. I am looking for some time to set aside to sew mine.
                    Post some pics when you get a chance. And continued thanks to Deb...

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rghickma"
                    <rodney.g.hickman@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > I finished my cocoon this weekend to go over my Speer type hammock.
                    > Using the diagram was very helpful saved me lots of time in deciding
                    > about where the darts should start. It turned out great.
                    >
                    > Materials I used:
                    > 1.9 Ripstop for the outside and top
                    > 1.1 Ripstop for inside (over insulation)
                    > Climashield Combat for insulation
                    > 3/32 shock cord for both drawstrings
                    >
                    > Since I did not put any Velcro on outside of the bivy, I slid it
                    > over the ridge line to allow the bug netting to stay sealed. If
                    > others are going to use ridgeline and bug netting inside the cocoon
                    > I might recommend adding 8-10inches to the length at the fool end.
                    >
                    > I also did not cut darts into the insulation. I did sew in some
                    > slack (careful not to bunching it up) to simulate darts allowing the
                    > center to not have tension (as it still needs to be longer like the
                    > fabric. This way the insulation did take the shape very well
                    > without bunching up.
                    >
                    > Preliminary testing shows it to really add warmth with flexibility
                    > to adjust the tension on the drawstring allowing adjustment to the
                    > warmth.
                    >
                    > Looking forward to getting it into the outdoors.
                    >
                    > Deb, Thanks again for your time to provide so much information for
                    > other do-it-yourselfers!
                    >
                    > /Rodney
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
                    > <dweisens@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                    > > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
                    > >
                    > > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it
                    > needs
                    > > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                    > > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling.
                    > If
                    > > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                    > > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
                    > >
                    > > DebW
                    >
                  • Patrick
                    FWIW, I finished my SockPod (that s what I m calling it, I suppose). Not quite as nice as what ya ll would come up with, but it will work for me... here s the
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 18, 2007
                    • 0 Attachment
                      FWIW, I finished my SockPod (that's what I'm calling it, I suppose). Not
                      quite as nice as what ya'll would come up with, but it will work for
                      me... here's the link to photos:
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/HammockSockPod
                      <http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/HammockSockPod>

                      Here's my report from another forum:

                      It's modeled after a bug bivvy I made a while back, (also modeled after
                      Blackbishop's hammock sock
                      <http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/sock-inside1.jpg> , and
                      Just Jeff's hammock sock
                      <http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html> and Risk's
                      travel pod <http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm> ) and it
                      consists of 2 sheets of 125" x 60" 1.9 oz. DWR ripstop sewn together to
                      form a tube, with a 96'-ish #3 zipper (with 2 reversable pulls that
                      close head-to-head) at one seam and paracord drawstrings at the ends.

                      The drawstrings at the ends allow for easy setup and ventilation on each
                      end, and the zipper allows the pod/sock to be completely closed on the
                      ends, but still allows flexible ventilation through a moveable,
                      resizable, zippered vent hole (like Risk's pod). You can either pull it
                      up over you like a sock, or leave it set up completely and enter through
                      the side zipper entrance. The zipper entrance can also act as a window
                      to outside, which I find pretty important.

                      I have no idea what it weighs, but it could (always!) be made to be
                      lighter, by using lighter materials (lighter ripstop, etc), these were
                      just the materials I had at hand. I did use a lighter zipper, #3, and
                      also pulled the center fibers out of the paracord, but the biggest
                      difference would be the weight of the material itself. I also didn't try
                      to taper the material like Risk did.



                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube* for
                      > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
                      > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I can
                      > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie the
                      > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline. Conversely,
                      > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
                      >
                      > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
                      > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
                      >
                      > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of ripstop, and
                      > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner slowhike@
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > i have been planning one (in my thoughts) that will be more like
                      > the travel pod on risk's or jeff's site.
                      > > it will attach to the ridge line by 2 hooks. it will have a
                      > long, center zipper from foot to above head, & 2 short zippers at the
                      > end of the long one (above head) that will go down either side.
                      > > that way i can unzip the long, center zipper & one zipper on
                      > either side to enter or exit.
                      > >
                      > > i'm thinking of several variations...
                      > > 1) ...all bug net
                      > > 2) ...bug net top & nylon bottom
                      > > 3) ...all nylon (for winter) ...tim
                      > >
                      > > mrbyer mrbyer@ wrote:
                      > > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's and
                      > if
                      > > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help a
                      > newbie
                      > > with a sewing machine. Thanks.
                      > >
                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994"
                      > > > wrote:
                      > > > > Had an idea today. A hanging hammock bivy.
                      > > >
                      > > > Check out DebW's gallery first:
                      > > >
                      > > >
                      > http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/lst?.dir=/DebW%
                      > > > 27s+Photos&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%
                      > 3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/
                      > > >
                      > >
                      > >
                      > >
                      > >
                      > >
                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      > >
                      > >
                      > >
                      > >
                      > >
                      > >
                      > > don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!!!
                      > >
                      > >
                      > > ---------------------------------
                      > > Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell.
                      > >
                      > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      > >
                      >




                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.