[Hammock Camping] Re: hammock bivy idea!

  • Debra Weisenstein
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
      The insulation I used was Climashield HL, purchased from
      thru-hiker.com (though the web site shows only Climashield XP
      currently). I sewed it into the seams of the bag, but did not quilt
      it, so it is attached only at it's edges and seems fine after 2 years
      of use. I can't give you a blueprint because my hammock is
      non-standard in length and width. What I did was hang the hammock and
      lay inside. Then I tied a string to the foot end and used it to
      measure the length from foot-end hanging strap to my neck on the top
      side and bottom side of the hammock. The difference in top and bottom
      measurements was what had to be removed with darts, by cutting out
      several triangles of fabric and then sewing the edges together,
      turning a flat piece of fabric into a 3-dimensional object. I think
      the darts were about 12 inches deep. To get the needed circumference
      of the pod, I measured it at various points while laying in it. I
      could make a crude drawing of the pieces of fabric if this isn't clear.

      DebW

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mrbyer" <mrbyer@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > of insulation did you use? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
      > <dweisens@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm no longer using the hammock bivy, as it was somewhat heavy and
      > had
      > > condensation problems. What I'm currently using and absolutely
      > love
      > > is a sock/travelpod/cocoon which I insulated on the bottom and
      > sides.
      > > I can't seem to add a picture to my album on this site, but try
      > this
      > > link (http://good-
      > times.webshots.com/photo/2250133370074761024yGKxmA).
      > >
      > > The key to making this a perfect fit on the hammock was to make the
      > > bottom/side fabric longer than the top fabric. I put 4 10-inch
      > darts
      > > in the sides of the bottom fabric before sewing it to the shorter
      > top
      > > fabric. Without the darts, it would either cover my face or leave
      > the
      > > bottom side of my shoulders exposed. Because of the good fit
      > around
      > > the shoulders, and the bottom and side insulation, I need no foam
      > pad
      > > in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
      > > excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the
      > synthetic
      > > insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
      > > top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't
      > need a
      > > sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
      > > weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could
      > bring
      > > an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system
      > has
      > > proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
      > > repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
      > > windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.
      > >
      > > DebW
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube*
      > for
      > > > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
      > > > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I
      > can
      > > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie
      > the
      > > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline.
      > Conversely,
      > > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
      > > >
      > > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
      > > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
      > > >
      > > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of
      > ripstop, and
      > > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...

    • Debra Weisenstein
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
> [...]

        > > DebW
        > >
        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube*
        > for
        > > > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
        > > > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I
        > can
        > > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie
        > the
        > > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline.
        > Conversely,
        > > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
        > > >
        > > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
        > > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
        > > >
        > > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of
        > ripstop, and
        > > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...

      • mrbyer
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
          I think I am confused as to exactly where the darts were removed. What
          edges, what direction. I apologize for my not understanding. Is your
          foot end a separate piece that was sewn on or did you remove material
          to get the cone shape? I can't see any seams in your phot so I think
          that also makes it difficult for me.

          <dweisens@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > pad
          > > > in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
          > > > excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the
          > > synthetic
          > > > insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
          > > > top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't
          > > need a
          > > > sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
          > > > weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could
          > > bring
          > > > an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system
          > > has
          > > > proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
          > > > repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
          > > > windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.

        • Billy Chard
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
            Deb
            can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love your pod its just what i have been looking for..

            BTW what kind if hammock do you have..

            Billy

            <dweisens@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > pad
            > > > in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
            > > > excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the
            > > synthetic
            > > > insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
            > > > top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't
            > > need a
            > > > sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
            > > > weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could
            > > bring
            > > > an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system
            > > has
            > > > proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
            > > > repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
            > > > windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.

          • gerzson
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 6, 2007
              My experience with a hammock sock was that it is significantly warmer
              but creates lots of condensation. Mine was made from a non-breathable
              ripstop and was full length - asking for it :)

              Now I am thinking of making one with one side mesh and one side
              breathable ripstop and use it in the summer with the mesh side up and
              in the winter rotated to a litle more than 90 degrees so I will have a
              mesh window (on the downwind side). The tube will also be able to
              support some bottom insulation.

              gerzson
            • rghickma
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 8, 2007
                Deb,

                Your cocoon is great, thank you much for sharing your process,
                material choices, and the picture.

                I hope you don't mind if I copy your ideas. The information you
                provided is perfect, I can't wait to get started. I ordered the
                materials this morning. I ordered the Climashield Combat, I chose
                this because it looked to be near the HL specs and was a happy
                medium between the choices of Climashield XP (since I couldn't
                decide). :)

                I have a Speer hammock (from kit) with bug net, I think the bug
                netting over the face area will add warmth while keeping the
                breathing/condensation under control when the cocoon is pulled into
                place. I planning to use 1.9 ripstop from Ed Speer in hopes it will
                be breathable enough.

                I have gone from a scientific minded, measurement oriented person to
                a build by process. I like your ideas on how to simply make it to
                fit you/hammock. I am fortunate enough that my son is the same size
                as me, I am going to make him get in and I will pin it up to fit.
                Poor kid doesn't even know it is coming. :)

                Thanks again for taking the time to share.

                /Rodney

                <dweisens@...> wrote:

                > The insulation I used was Climashield HL, purchased from
                > thru-hiker.com (though the web site shows only Climashield XP
                > currently). I sewed it into the seams of the bag, but did not
                quilt
                > it, so it is attached only at it's edges and seems fine after 2
                years
                > of use. I can't give you a blueprint because my hammock is
                > non-standard in length and width. What I did was hang the hammock
                and
                > lay inside. Then I tied a string to the foot end and used it to
                > measure the length from foot-end hanging strap to my neck on the
                top
                > side and bottom side of the hammock. The difference in top and
                bottom
                > measurements was what had to be removed with darts, by cutting out
                > several triangles of fabric and then sewing the edges together,
                > turning a flat piece of fabric into a 3-dimensional object. I
                think
                > the darts were about 12 inches deep. To get the needed
                circumference
                > of the pod, I measured it at various points while laying in it. I
                > could make a crude drawing of the pieces of fabric if this isn't
                clear.

                > DebW

              • d2aisy2000
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                  Deb,
                  Thanks for your description of the measuring techniques and darts you
                  used for your bivy. I made a down-insulated hammock (lengthwise
                  tubes), and arrived at a good 3-dimensional shape by inspecting and
                  adjusting the baffles before I attached the bottom surface and
                  injected the down. Now I want to make a primaloft version for someone
                  who's allergic to down. Your experience with Climashield could be
                  very helpful. Did you put darts in the insulation as well as the
                  bottom cover? I've thought of sewing the primaloft into tubes and
                  using baffles, as I did with my down hammock, but I like the idea of
                  just sewing the insulation at the edges of the hammock. Thanks.
                  David
                  <dweisens@...> wrote:

                  > I'm no longer using the hammock bivy, as it was somewhat heavy and had
                  > condensation problems. What I'm currently using and absolutely love
                  > is a sock/travelpod/cocoon which I insulated on the bottom and sides.
                  > I can't seem to add a picture to my album on this site, but try this
                  > link (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2250133370074761024yGKxmA).
                  >
                  > The key to making this a perfect fit on the hammock was to make the
                  > bottom/side fabric longer than the top fabric. I put 4 10-inch darts
                  > in the sides of the bottom fabric before sewing it to the shorter top
                  > fabric. Without the darts, it would either cover my face or leave the
                  > bottom side of my shoulders exposed. Because of the good fit around
                  > the shoulders, and the bottom and side insulation, I need no foam pad
                  > in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
                  > excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the synthetic
                  > insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
                  > top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't need a
                  > sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
                  > weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could bring
                  > an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system has
                  > proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
                  > repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
                  > windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.
                  >
                  > DebW
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube* for
                  > > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
                  > > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I can
                  > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie the
                  > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline. Conversely,
                  > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
                  > >
                  > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
                  > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
                  > >
                  > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of ripstop, and
                  > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...
                  > >
                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > mrbyer <mrbyer@> wrote:
                  > > > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's and
                  > > if
                  > > > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help a
                  > > newbie
                  > > > with a sewing machine. Thanks.

                  > > 3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

                • Debra Weisenstein
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                    I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG

                    My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it needs
                    to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                    drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling. If
                    I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                    bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.

                    DebW

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@...> wrote:

                    > Deb
                    > can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love
                    your pod its just what i have been looking for..

                    > BTW what kind if hammock do you have..
                    >
                    > Billy

                  • Debra Weisenstein
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                      Yes, I put darts in the insulation. I didn't sew the darts together
                      in the insulation, just cut out the excess and let the sewing on the
                      edges hold it together. The insulation really is sticky so it sticks
                      to itself pretty well.

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "d2aisy2000" <delliott78@...>

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                        That diagram helps immensely. Thank you for taking the time to make
                        and post it.

                        <dweisens@...> wrote:

                        > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                        > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
                        >
                        > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it needs
                        > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                        > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling. If
                        > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                        > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
                        >
                        > DebW
                        >
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Deb
                        > > can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love
                        > your pod its just what i have been looking for..
                        > >
                        > > BTW what kind if hammock do you have..
                        > >
                        > > Billy

                      • rghickma
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 17, 2007
                          I finished my cocoon this weekend to go over my Speer type hammock.
                          Using the diagram was very helpful saved me lots of time in deciding
                          about where the darts should start. It turned out great.

                          Materials I used:
                          1.9 Ripstop for the outside and top
                          1.1 Ripstop for inside (over insulation)
                          Climashield Combat for insulation
                          3/32 shock cord for both drawstrings

                          Since I did not put any Velcro on outside of the bivy, I slid it
                          over the ridge line to allow the bug netting to stay sealed. If
                          others are going to use ridgeline and bug netting inside the cocoon
                          I might recommend adding 8-10inches to the length at the fool end.

                          I also did not cut darts into the insulation. I did sew in some
                          slack (careful not to bunching it up) to simulate darts allowing the
                          center to not have tension (as it still needs to be longer like the
                          fabric. This way the insulation did take the shape very well
                          without bunching up.

                          Preliminary testing shows it to really add warmth with flexibility
                          to adjust the tension on the drawstring allowing adjustment to the
                          warmth.

                          Looking forward to getting it into the outdoors.

                          Deb, Thanks again for your time to provide so much information for
                          other do-it-yourselfers!

                          /Rodney

                          <dweisens@...> wrote:

                          > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                          > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
                          >
                          > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it
                          needs
                          > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                          > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling.
                          If
                          > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                          > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
                          >
                          > DebW
                        • mrbyer
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 17, 2007
                            Great to hear. I am looking for some time to set aside to sew mine.
                            Post some pics when you get a chance. And continued thanks to Deb...

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rghickma"
                            <rodney.g.hickman@...> wrote:

                            > I finished my cocoon this weekend to go over my Speer type hammock.
                            > Using the diagram was very helpful saved me lots of time in deciding
                            > about where the darts should start. It turned out great.
                            >
                            > Materials I used:
                            > 1.9 Ripstop for the outside and top
                            > 1.1 Ripstop for inside (over insulation)
                            > Climashield Combat for insulation
                            > 3/32 shock cord for both drawstrings
                            >
                            > Since I did not put any Velcro on outside of the bivy, I slid it
                            > over the ridge line to allow the bug netting to stay sealed. If
                            > others are going to use ridgeline and bug netting inside the cocoon
                            > I might recommend adding 8-10inches to the length at the fool end.
                            >
                            > I also did not cut darts into the insulation. I did sew in some
                            > slack (careful not to bunching it up) to simulate darts allowing the
                            > center to not have tension (as it still needs to be longer like the
                            > fabric. This way the insulation did take the shape very well
                            > without bunching up.
                            >
                            > Preliminary testing shows it to really add warmth with flexibility
                            > to adjust the tension on the drawstring allowing adjustment to the
                            > warmth.
                            >
                            > Looking forward to getting it into the outdoors.
                            >
                            > Deb, Thanks again for your time to provide so much information for
                            > other do-it-yourselfers!
                            >
                            > /Rodney
                            >
                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
                            > <dweisens@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                            > > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
                            > >
                            > > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it
                            > needs
                            > > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                            > > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling.
                            > If
                            > > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                            > > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
                            > >
                            > > DebW

                          • Patrick
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 18, 2007
                              FWIW, I finished my SockPod (that's what I'm calling it, I suppose). Not
                              quite as nice as what ya'll would come up with, but it will work for
                              me... here's the link to photos:
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/HammockSockPod
                              <http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/HammockSockPod>

                              Here's my report from another forum:

                              It's modeled after a bug bivvy I made a while back, (also modeled after
                              Blackbishop's hammock sock
                              <http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/sock-inside1.jpg> , and
                              Just Jeff's hammock sock
                              <http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html> and Risk's
                              travel pod <http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm> ) and it
                              consists of 2 sheets of 125" x 60" 1.9 oz. DWR ripstop sewn together to
                              form a tube, with a 96'-ish #3 zipper (with 2 reversable pulls that
                              close head-to-head) at one seam and paracord drawstrings at the ends.

                              The drawstrings at the ends allow for easy setup and ventilation on each
                              end, and the zipper allows the pod/sock to be completely closed on the
                              ends, but still allows flexible ventilation through a moveable,
                              resizable, zippered vent hole (like Risk's pod). You can either pull it
                              up over you like a sock, or leave it set up completely and enter through
                              the side zipper entrance. The zipper entrance can also act as a window
                              to outside, which I find pretty important.

                              I have no idea what it weighs, but it could (always!) be made to be
                              lighter, by using lighter materials (lighter ripstop, etc), these were
                              just the materials I had at hand. I did use a lighter zipper, #3, and
                              also pulled the center fibers out of the paracord, but the biggest
                              difference would be the weight of the material itself. I also didn't try
                              to taper the material like Risk did.