[Hammock Camping] Re: hammock bivy idea!

  • Debra Weisenstein
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
      I'm no longer using the hammock bivy, as it was somewhat heavy and had
      condensation problems. What I'm currently using and absolutely love
      is a sock/travelpod/cocoon which I insulated on the bottom and sides.
      I can't seem to add a picture to my album on this site, but try this
      link (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2250133370074761024yGKxmA).

      The key to making this a perfect fit on the hammock was to make the
      bottom/side fabric longer than the top fabric. I put 4 10-inch darts
      in the sides of the bottom fabric before sewing it to the shorter top
      fabric. Without the darts, it would either cover my face or leave the
      bottom side of my shoulders exposed. Because of the good fit around
      the shoulders, and the bottom and side insulation, I need no foam pad
      in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
      excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the synthetic
      insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
      top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't need a
      sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
      weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could bring
      an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system has
      proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
      repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
      windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.

      DebW

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@...> wrote:

      > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube* for
      > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
      > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I can
      > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie the
      > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline. Conversely,
      > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
      >
      > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
      > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
      >
      > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of ripstop, and
      > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > mrbyer <mrbyer@> wrote:
      > > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's and
      > if
      > > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help a
      > newbie
      > > with a sewing machine. Thanks.
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994"
      > > >
      > > > Check out DebW's gallery first:

      > > > 27s+Photos&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%
      > 3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

    • mrbyer
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
        This is perfect Deb. As a beginner at making my own stuff I was
        hoping for to get some basic blueprints I could see. I am familiar
        with the term "dart" but do not really understand it. Also what type
        of insulation did you use? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
        <dweisens@...> wrote:

> [...]
        can
        > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie
        the
        > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline.
        Conversely,
        > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
        > >
        > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
        > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
        > >
        > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of
        ripstop, and
        > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...
        > >
        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >

        > > > mrbyer <mrbyer@> wrote:
        > > > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's
        and
        > > if
        > > > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help

      • Debra Weisenstein
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
          The insulation I used was Climashield HL, purchased from
          thru-hiker.com (though the web site shows only Climashield XP
          currently). I sewed it into the seams of the bag, but did not quilt
          it, so it is attached only at it's edges and seems fine after 2 years
          of use. I can't give you a blueprint because my hammock is
          non-standard in length and width. What I did was hang the hammock and
          lay inside. Then I tied a string to the foot end and used it to
          measure the length from foot-end hanging strap to my neck on the top
          side and bottom side of the hammock. The difference in top and bottom
          measurements was what had to be removed with darts, by cutting out
          several triangles of fabric and then sewing the edges together,
          turning a flat piece of fabric into a 3-dimensional object. I think
          the darts were about 12 inches deep. To get the needed circumference
          of the pod, I measured it at various points while laying in it. I
          could make a crude drawing of the pieces of fabric if this isn't clear.

          DebW

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mrbyer" <mrbyer@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > DebW
          > >
          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube*
          > for
          > > > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
          > > > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I
          > can
          > > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie
          > the
          > > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline.
          > Conversely,
          > > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
          > > >
          > > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
          > > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
          > > >
          > > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of
          > ripstop, and
          > > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...

        • Debra Weisenstein
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
> [...]

            > > DebW
            > >
            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube*
            > for
            > > > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
            > > > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I
            > can
            > > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie
            > the
            > > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline.
            > Conversely,
            > > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
            > > >
            > > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
            > > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
            > > >
            > > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of
            > ripstop, and
            > > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...

          • mrbyer
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
              I think I am confused as to exactly where the darts were removed. What
              edges, what direction. I apologize for my not understanding. Is your
              foot end a separate piece that was sewn on or did you remove material
              to get the cone shape? I can't see any seams in your phot so I think
              that also makes it difficult for me.

              <dweisens@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > pad
              > > > in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
              > > > excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the
              > > synthetic
              > > > insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
              > > > top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't
              > > need a
              > > > sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
              > > > weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could
              > > bring
              > > > an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system
              > > has
              > > > proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
              > > > repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
              > > > windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.

            • Billy Chard
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
                Deb
                can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love your pod its just what i have been looking for..

                BTW what kind if hammock do you have..

                Billy

                <dweisens@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > pad
                > > > in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
                > > > excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the
                > > synthetic
                > > > insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
                > > > top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't
                > > need a
                > > > sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
                > > > weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could
                > > bring
                > > > an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system
                > > has
                > > > proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
                > > > repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
                > > > windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.

              • gerzson
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 6, 2007
                  My experience with a hammock sock was that it is significantly warmer
                  but creates lots of condensation. Mine was made from a non-breathable
                  ripstop and was full length - asking for it :)

                  Now I am thinking of making one with one side mesh and one side
                  breathable ripstop and use it in the summer with the mesh side up and
                  in the winter rotated to a litle more than 90 degrees so I will have a
                  mesh window (on the downwind side). The tube will also be able to
                  support some bottom insulation.

                  gerzson
                • rghickma
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 8, 2007
                    Deb,

                    Your cocoon is great, thank you much for sharing your process,
                    material choices, and the picture.

                    I hope you don't mind if I copy your ideas. The information you
                    provided is perfect, I can't wait to get started. I ordered the
                    materials this morning. I ordered the Climashield Combat, I chose
                    this because it looked to be near the HL specs and was a happy
                    medium between the choices of Climashield XP (since I couldn't
                    decide). :)

                    I have a Speer hammock (from kit) with bug net, I think the bug
                    netting over the face area will add warmth while keeping the
                    breathing/condensation under control when the cocoon is pulled into
                    place. I planning to use 1.9 ripstop from Ed Speer in hopes it will
                    be breathable enough.

                    I have gone from a scientific minded, measurement oriented person to
                    a build by process. I like your ideas on how to simply make it to
                    fit you/hammock. I am fortunate enough that my son is the same size
                    as me, I am going to make him get in and I will pin it up to fit.
                    Poor kid doesn't even know it is coming. :)

                    Thanks again for taking the time to share.

                    /Rodney

                    <dweisens@...> wrote:

                    > The insulation I used was Climashield HL, purchased from
                    > thru-hiker.com (though the web site shows only Climashield XP
                    > currently). I sewed it into the seams of the bag, but did not
                    quilt
                    > it, so it is attached only at it's edges and seems fine after 2
                    years
                    > of use. I can't give you a blueprint because my hammock is
                    > non-standard in length and width. What I did was hang the hammock
                    and
                    > lay inside. Then I tied a string to the foot end and used it to
                    > measure the length from foot-end hanging strap to my neck on the
                    top
                    > side and bottom side of the hammock. The difference in top and
                    bottom
                    > measurements was what had to be removed with darts, by cutting out
                    > several triangles of fabric and then sewing the edges together,
                    > turning a flat piece of fabric into a 3-dimensional object. I
                    think
                    > the darts were about 12 inches deep. To get the needed
                    circumference
                    > of the pod, I measured it at various points while laying in it. I
                    > could make a crude drawing of the pieces of fabric if this isn't
                    clear.

                    > DebW

                  • d2aisy2000
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                      Deb,
                      Thanks for your description of the measuring techniques and darts you
                      used for your bivy. I made a down-insulated hammock (lengthwise
                      tubes), and arrived at a good 3-dimensional shape by inspecting and
                      adjusting the baffles before I attached the bottom surface and
                      injected the down. Now I want to make a primaloft version for someone
                      who's allergic to down. Your experience with Climashield could be
                      very helpful. Did you put darts in the insulation as well as the
                      bottom cover? I've thought of sewing the primaloft into tubes and
                      using baffles, as I did with my down hammock, but I like the idea of
                      just sewing the insulation at the edges of the hammock. Thanks.
                      David
                      <dweisens@...> wrote:

                      > I'm no longer using the hammock bivy, as it was somewhat heavy and had
                      > condensation problems. What I'm currently using and absolutely love
                      > is a sock/travelpod/cocoon which I insulated on the bottom and sides.
                      > I can't seem to add a picture to my album on this site, but try this
                      > link (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2250133370074761024yGKxmA).
                      >
                      > The key to making this a perfect fit on the hammock was to make the
                      > bottom/side fabric longer than the top fabric. I put 4 10-inch darts
                      > in the sides of the bottom fabric before sewing it to the shorter top
                      > fabric. Without the darts, it would either cover my face or leave the
                      > bottom side of my shoulders exposed. Because of the good fit around
                      > the shoulders, and the bottom and side insulation, I need no foam pad
                      > in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
                      > excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the synthetic
                      > insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
                      > top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't need a
                      > sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
                      > weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could bring
                      > an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system has
                      > proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
                      > repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
                      > windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.
                      >
                      > DebW
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube* for
                      > > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
                      > > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I can
                      > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie the
                      > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline. Conversely,
                      > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
                      > >
                      > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
                      > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
                      > >
                      > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of ripstop, and
                      > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...
                      > >
                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > mrbyer <mrbyer@> wrote:
                      > > > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's and
                      > > if
                      > > > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help a
                      > > newbie
                      > > > with a sewing machine. Thanks.

                      > > 3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

                    • Debra Weisenstein
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                        I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                        http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG

                        My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it needs
                        to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                        drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling. If
                        I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                        bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.

                        DebW

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@...> wrote:

                        > Deb
                        > can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love
                        your pod its just what i have been looking for..

                        > BTW what kind if hammock do you have..
                        >
                        > Billy

                      • Debra Weisenstein
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                          Yes, I put darts in the insulation. I didn't sew the darts together
                          in the insulation, just cut out the excess and let the sewing on the
                          edges hold it together. The insulation really is sticky so it sticks
                          to itself pretty well.

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "d2aisy2000" <delliott78@...>

                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                            That diagram helps immensely. Thank you for taking the time to make
                            and post it.

                            <dweisens@...> wrote:

                            > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                            > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
                            >
                            > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it needs
                            > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                            > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling. If
                            > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                            > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
                            >
                            > DebW
                            >
                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Deb
                            > > can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love
                            > your pod its just what i have been looking for..
                            > >
                            > > BTW what kind if hammock do you have..
                            > >
                            > > Billy

                          • rghickma
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 17, 2007
                              I finished my cocoon this weekend to go over my Speer type hammock.
                              Using the diagram was very helpful saved me lots of time in deciding
                              about where the darts should start. It turned out great.

                              Materials I used:
                              1.9 Ripstop for the outside and top
                              1.1 Ripstop for inside (over insulation)
                              Climashield Combat for insulation
                              3/32 shock cord for both drawstrings

                              Since I did not put any Velcro on outside of the bivy, I slid it
                              over the ridge line to allow the bug netting to stay sealed. If
                              others are going to use ridgeline and bug netting inside the cocoon
                              I might recommend adding 8-10inches to the length at the fool end.

                              I also did not cut darts into the insulation. I did sew in some
                              slack (careful not to bunching it up) to simulate darts allowing the
                              center to not have tension (as it still needs to be longer like the
                              fabric. This way the insulation did take the shape very well
                              without bunching up.

                              Preliminary testing shows it to really add warmth with flexibility
                              to adjust the tension on the drawstring allowing adjustment to the
                              warmth.

                              Looking forward to getting it into the outdoors.

                              Deb, Thanks again for your time to provide so much information for
                              other do-it-yourselfers!

                              /Rodney

                              <dweisens@...> wrote:

                              > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                              > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
                              >
                              > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it
                              needs
                              > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                              > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling.
                              If
                              > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                              > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
                              >
                              > DebW
                            • mrbyer
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 17, 2007
                                Great to hear. I am looking for some time to set aside to sew mine.
                                Post some pics when you get a chance. And continued thanks to Deb...

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rghickma"
                                <rodney.g.hickman@...> wrote:

                                > I finished my cocoon this weekend to go over my Speer type hammock.
                                > Using the diagram was very helpful saved me lots of time in deciding
                                > about where the darts should start. It turned out great.
                                >
                                > Materials I used:
                                > 1.9 Ripstop for the outside and top
                                > 1.1 Ripstop for inside (over insulation)
                                > Climashield Combat for insulation
                                > 3/32 shock cord for both drawstrings
                                >
                                > Since I did not put any Velcro on outside of the bivy, I slid it
                                > over the ridge line to allow the bug netting to stay sealed. If
                                > others are going to use ridgeline and bug netting inside the cocoon
                                > I might recommend adding 8-10inches to the length at the fool end.
                                >
                                > I also did not cut darts into the insulation. I did sew in some
                                > slack (careful not to bunching it up) to simulate darts allowing the
                                > center to not have tension (as it still needs to be longer like the
                                > fabric. This way the insulation did take the shape very well
                                > without bunching up.
                                >
                                > Preliminary testing shows it to really add warmth with flexibility
                                > to adjust the tension on the drawstring allowing adjustment to the
                                > warmth.
                                >
                                > Looking forward to getting it into the outdoors.
                                >
                                > Deb, Thanks again for your time to provide so much information for
                                > other do-it-yourselfers!
                                >
                                > /Rodney
                                >
                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
                                > <dweisens@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                                > > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
                                > >
                                > > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it
                                > needs
                                > > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                                > > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling.
                                > If
                                > > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                                > > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
                                > >
                                > > DebW

                              • Patrick
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 18, 2007
                                  FWIW, I finished my SockPod (that's what I'm calling it, I suppose). Not
                                  quite as nice as what ya'll would come up with, but it will work for
                                  me... here's the link to photos:
                                  http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/HammockSockPod
                                  <http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/HammockSockPod>

                                  Here's my report from another forum:

                                  It's modeled after a bug bivvy I made a while back, (also modeled after
                                  Blackbishop's hammock sock
                                  <http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/sock-inside1.jpg> , and
                                  Just Jeff's hammock sock
                                  <http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html> and Risk's
                                  travel pod <http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm> ) and it
                                  consists of 2 sheets of 125" x 60" 1.9 oz. DWR ripstop sewn together to
                                  form a tube, with a 96'-ish #3 zipper (with 2 reversable pulls that
                                  close head-to-head) at one seam and paracord drawstrings at the ends.

                                  The drawstrings at the ends allow for easy setup and ventilation on each
                                  end, and the zipper allows the pod/sock to be completely closed on the
                                  ends, but still allows flexible ventilation through a moveable,
                                  resizable, zippered vent hole (like Risk's pod). You can either pull it
                                  up over you like a sock, or leave it set up completely and enter through
                                  the side zipper entrance. The zipper entrance can also act as a window
                                  to outside, which I find pretty important.

                                  I have no idea what it weighs, but it could (always!) be made to be
                                  lighter, by using lighter materials (lighter ripstop, etc), these were
                                  just the materials I had at hand. I did use a lighter zipper, #3, and
                                  also pulled the center fibers out of the paracord, but the biggest
                                  difference would be the weight of the material itself. I also didn't try
                                  to taper the material like Risk did.