Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: hammock bivy idea!

    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 4, 2007
      i have been planning one (in my thoughts) that will be more like the travel pod on risk's or jeff's site.
      it will attach to the ridge line by 2 hooks. it will have a long, center zipper from foot to above head, & 2 short zippers at the end of the long one (above head) that will go down either side.
      that way i can unzip the long, center zipper & one zipper on either side to enter or exit.

      i'm thinking of several variations...
      1) ...all bug net
      2) ...bug net top & nylon bottom
      3) ...all nylon (for winter) ...tim

      mrbyer <mrbyer@...> wrote:
      I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's and if
      they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help a newbie
      with a sewing machine. Thanks.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994"
      > wrote:
      > > Had an idea today. A hanging hammock bivy.
      >
      > Check out DebW's gallery first:

      > 27s+Photos&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 4, 2007
        As I remember others who have tried similar projects there ends up being an
        awful lot of stress across along the seam and along the zipper. I think you
        will have to make sure that when the hammock is loaded (with you) that these
        areas aren't stressed.

        Is there some sort of sewing techniqure that allows one piece to stretch
        more than the other?

        Ralph

        PS I'm imaginine three layers, Bottom pocket for pad, top pocket for me.

      • Patrick
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
          I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube* for
          winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
          zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I can
          leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie the
          drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline. Conversely,
          I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.

          My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
          much) to counter any condensation that might collect.

          I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of ripstop, and
          am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...

          > i have been planning one (in my thoughts) that will be more like
          the travel pod on risk's or jeff's site.
          > it will attach to the ridge line by 2 hooks. it will have a
          long, center zipper from foot to above head, & 2 short zippers at the
          end of the long one (above head) that will go down either side.
          > that way i can unzip the long, center zipper & one zipper on
          either side to enter or exit.

          > i'm thinking of several variations...
          > 1) ...all bug net
          > 2) ...bug net top & nylon bottom
          > 3) ...all nylon (for winter) ...tim
          >
          > mrbyer <mrbyer@...> wrote:
          > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's and
          if
          > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help a
          newbie
          > with a sewing machine. Thanks.
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994"
          > > wrote:
          > > > Had an idea today. A hanging hammock bivy.
          > >
          > > Check out DebW's gallery first:

          > > 27s+Photos&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%
          3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

        • Debra Weisenstein
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
            I'm no longer using the hammock bivy, as it was somewhat heavy and had
            condensation problems. What I'm currently using and absolutely love
            is a sock/travelpod/cocoon which I insulated on the bottom and sides.
            I can't seem to add a picture to my album on this site, but try this
            link (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2250133370074761024yGKxmA).

            The key to making this a perfect fit on the hammock was to make the
            bottom/side fabric longer than the top fabric. I put 4 10-inch darts
            in the sides of the bottom fabric before sewing it to the shorter top
            fabric. Without the darts, it would either cover my face or leave the
            bottom side of my shoulders exposed. Because of the good fit around
            the shoulders, and the bottom and side insulation, I need no foam pad
            in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
            excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the synthetic
            insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
            top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't need a
            sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
            weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could bring
            an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system has
            proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
            repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
            windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.

            DebW

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@...> wrote:

            > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube* for
            > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
            > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I can
            > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie the
            > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline. Conversely,
            > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
            >
            > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
            > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
            >
            > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of ripstop, and
            > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > mrbyer <mrbyer@> wrote:
            > > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's and
            > if
            > > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help a
            > newbie
            > > with a sewing machine. Thanks.
            > >
            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994"
            > > >
            > > > Check out DebW's gallery first:

            > > > 27s+Photos&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%
            > 3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

          • mrbyer
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
              This is perfect Deb. As a beginner at making my own stuff I was
              hoping for to get some basic blueprints I could see. I am familiar
              with the term "dart" but do not really understand it. Also what type
              of insulation did you use? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
              <dweisens@...> wrote:

> [...]
              can
              > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie
              the
              > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline.
              Conversely,
              > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
              > >
              > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
              > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
              > >
              > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of
              ripstop, and
              > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...
              > >
              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >

              > > > mrbyer <mrbyer@> wrote:
              > > > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's
              and
              > > if
              > > > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help

            • Debra Weisenstein
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
                The insulation I used was Climashield HL, purchased from
                thru-hiker.com (though the web site shows only Climashield XP
                currently). I sewed it into the seams of the bag, but did not quilt
                it, so it is attached only at it's edges and seems fine after 2 years
                of use. I can't give you a blueprint because my hammock is
                non-standard in length and width. What I did was hang the hammock and
                lay inside. Then I tied a string to the foot end and used it to
                measure the length from foot-end hanging strap to my neck on the top
                side and bottom side of the hammock. The difference in top and bottom
                measurements was what had to be removed with darts, by cutting out
                several triangles of fabric and then sewing the edges together,
                turning a flat piece of fabric into a 3-dimensional object. I think
                the darts were about 12 inches deep. To get the needed circumference
                of the pod, I measured it at various points while laying in it. I
                could make a crude drawing of the pieces of fabric if this isn't clear.

                DebW

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mrbyer" <mrbyer@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >
                > > DebW
                > >
                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube*
                > for
                > > > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
                > > > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I
                > can
                > > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie
                > the
                > > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline.
                > Conversely,
                > > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
                > > >
                > > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
                > > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
                > > >
                > > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of
                > ripstop, and
                > > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...

              • Debra Weisenstein
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
> [...]

                  > > DebW
                  > >
                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube*
                  > for
                  > > > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
                  > > > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I
                  > can
                  > > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie
                  > the
                  > > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline.
                  > Conversely,
                  > > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
                  > > >
                  > > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
                  > > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
                  > > >
                  > > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of
                  > ripstop, and
                  > > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...

                • mrbyer
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
                    I think I am confused as to exactly where the darts were removed. What
                    edges, what direction. I apologize for my not understanding. Is your
                    foot end a separate piece that was sewn on or did you remove material
                    to get the cone shape? I can't see any seams in your phot so I think
                    that also makes it difficult for me.

                    <dweisens@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > pad
                    > > > in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
                    > > > excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the
                    > > synthetic
                    > > > insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
                    > > > top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't
                    > > need a
                    > > > sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
                    > > > weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could
                    > > bring
                    > > > an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system
                    > > has
                    > > > proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
                    > > > repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
                    > > > windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.

                  • Billy Chard
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
                      Deb
                      can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love your pod its just what i have been looking for..

                      BTW what kind if hammock do you have..

                      Billy

                      <dweisens@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > pad
                      > > > in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
                      > > > excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the
                      > > synthetic
                      > > > insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
                      > > > top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't
                      > > need a
                      > > > sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
                      > > > weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could
                      > > bring
                      > > > an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system
                      > > has
                      > > > proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
                      > > > repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
                      > > > windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.

                    • gerzson
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 6, 2007
                        My experience with a hammock sock was that it is significantly warmer
                        but creates lots of condensation. Mine was made from a non-breathable
                        ripstop and was full length - asking for it :)

                        Now I am thinking of making one with one side mesh and one side
                        breathable ripstop and use it in the summer with the mesh side up and
                        in the winter rotated to a litle more than 90 degrees so I will have a
                        mesh window (on the downwind side). The tube will also be able to
                        support some bottom insulation.

                        gerzson
                      • rghickma
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 8, 2007
                          Deb,

                          Your cocoon is great, thank you much for sharing your process,
                          material choices, and the picture.

                          I hope you don't mind if I copy your ideas. The information you
                          provided is perfect, I can't wait to get started. I ordered the
                          materials this morning. I ordered the Climashield Combat, I chose
                          this because it looked to be near the HL specs and was a happy
                          medium between the choices of Climashield XP (since I couldn't
                          decide). :)

                          I have a Speer hammock (from kit) with bug net, I think the bug
                          netting over the face area will add warmth while keeping the
                          breathing/condensation under control when the cocoon is pulled into
                          place. I planning to use 1.9 ripstop from Ed Speer in hopes it will
                          be breathable enough.

                          I have gone from a scientific minded, measurement oriented person to
                          a build by process. I like your ideas on how to simply make it to
                          fit you/hammock. I am fortunate enough that my son is the same size
                          as me, I am going to make him get in and I will pin it up to fit.
                          Poor kid doesn't even know it is coming. :)

                          Thanks again for taking the time to share.

                          /Rodney

                          <dweisens@...> wrote:

                          > The insulation I used was Climashield HL, purchased from
                          > thru-hiker.com (though the web site shows only Climashield XP
                          > currently). I sewed it into the seams of the bag, but did not
                          quilt
                          > it, so it is attached only at it's edges and seems fine after 2
                          years
                          > of use. I can't give you a blueprint because my hammock is
                          > non-standard in length and width. What I did was hang the hammock
                          and
                          > lay inside. Then I tied a string to the foot end and used it to
                          > measure the length from foot-end hanging strap to my neck on the
                          top
                          > side and bottom side of the hammock. The difference in top and
                          bottom
                          > measurements was what had to be removed with darts, by cutting out
                          > several triangles of fabric and then sewing the edges together,
                          > turning a flat piece of fabric into a 3-dimensional object. I
                          think
                          > the darts were about 12 inches deep. To get the needed
                          circumference
                          > of the pod, I measured it at various points while laying in it. I
                          > could make a crude drawing of the pieces of fabric if this isn't
                          clear.

                          > DebW

                        • d2aisy2000
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                            Deb,
                            Thanks for your description of the measuring techniques and darts you
                            used for your bivy. I made a down-insulated hammock (lengthwise
                            tubes), and arrived at a good 3-dimensional shape by inspecting and
                            adjusting the baffles before I attached the bottom surface and
                            injected the down. Now I want to make a primaloft version for someone
                            who's allergic to down. Your experience with Climashield could be
                            very helpful. Did you put darts in the insulation as well as the
                            bottom cover? I've thought of sewing the primaloft into tubes and
                            using baffles, as I did with my down hammock, but I like the idea of
                            just sewing the insulation at the edges of the hammock. Thanks.
                            David
                            <dweisens@...> wrote:

                            > I'm no longer using the hammock bivy, as it was somewhat heavy and had
                            > condensation problems. What I'm currently using and absolutely love
                            > is a sock/travelpod/cocoon which I insulated on the bottom and sides.
                            > I can't seem to add a picture to my album on this site, but try this
                            > link (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2250133370074761024yGKxmA).
                            >
                            > The key to making this a perfect fit on the hammock was to make the
                            > bottom/side fabric longer than the top fabric. I put 4 10-inch darts
                            > in the sides of the bottom fabric before sewing it to the shorter top
                            > fabric. Without the darts, it would either cover my face or leave the
                            > bottom side of my shoulders exposed. Because of the good fit around
                            > the shoulders, and the bottom and side insulation, I need no foam pad
                            > in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
                            > excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the synthetic
                            > insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
                            > top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't need a
                            > sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
                            > weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could bring
                            > an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system has
                            > proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
                            > repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
                            > windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.
                            >
                            > DebW
                            >
                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube* for
                            > > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
                            > > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I can
                            > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie the
                            > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline. Conversely,
                            > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
                            > >
                            > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
                            > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
                            > >
                            > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of ripstop, and
                            > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...
                            > >
                            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@>
                            > > wrote:
                            > > >

                            > > > mrbyer <mrbyer@> wrote:
                            > > > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's and
                            > > if
                            > > > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help a
                            > > newbie
                            > > > with a sewing machine. Thanks.

                            > > 3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

                          • Debra Weisenstein
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                              I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                              http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG

                              My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it needs
                              to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                              drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling. If
                              I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                              bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.

                              DebW

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@...> wrote:

                              > Deb
                              > can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love
                              your pod its just what i have been looking for..

                              > BTW what kind if hammock do you have..
                              >
                              > Billy

                            • Debra Weisenstein
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                                Yes, I put darts in the insulation. I didn't sew the darts together
                                in the insulation, just cut out the excess and let the sewing on the
                                edges hold it together. The insulation really is sticky so it sticks
                                to itself pretty well.

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "d2aisy2000" <delliott78@...>

                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                                  That diagram helps immensely. Thank you for taking the time to make
                                  and post it.

                                  <dweisens@...> wrote:

                                  > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                                  > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
                                  >
                                  > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it needs
                                  > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                                  > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling. If
                                  > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                                  > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
                                  >
                                  > DebW
                                  >
                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Deb
                                  > > can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love
                                  > your pod its just what i have been looking for..
                                  > >
                                  > > BTW what kind if hammock do you have..
                                  > >
                                  > > Billy

                                • rghickma
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 17, 2007
                                    I finished my cocoon this weekend to go over my Speer type hammock.
                                    Using the diagram was very helpful saved me lots of time in deciding
                                    about where the darts should start. It turned out great.

                                    Materials I used:
                                    1.9 Ripstop for the outside and top
                                    1.1 Ripstop for inside (over insulation)
                                    Climashield Combat for insulation
                                    3/32 shock cord for both drawstrings

                                    Since I did not put any Velcro on outside of the bivy, I slid it
                                    over the ridge line to allow the bug netting to stay sealed. If
                                    others are going to use ridgeline and bug netting inside the cocoon
                                    I might recommend adding 8-10inches to the length at the fool end.

                                    I also did not cut darts into the insulation. I did sew in some
                                    slack (careful not to bunching it up) to simulate darts allowing the
                                    center to not have tension (as it still needs to be longer like the
                                    fabric. This way the insulation did take the shape very well
                                    without bunching up.

                                    Preliminary testing shows it to really add warmth with flexibility
                                    to adjust the tension on the drawstring allowing adjustment to the
                                    warmth.

                                    Looking forward to getting it into the outdoors.

                                    Deb, Thanks again for your time to provide so much information for
                                    other do-it-yourselfers!

                                    /Rodney

                                    <dweisens@...> wrote:

                                    > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                                    > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
                                    >
                                    > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it
                                    needs
                                    > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                                    > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling.
                                    If
                                    > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                                    > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
                                    >
                                    > DebW
                                  • mrbyer
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 17, 2007
                                      Great to hear. I am looking for some time to set aside to sew mine.
                                      Post some pics when you get a chance. And continued thanks to Deb...

                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rghickma"
                                      <rodney.g.hickman@...> wrote:

                                      > I finished my cocoon this weekend to go over my Speer type hammock.
                                      > Using the diagram was very helpful saved me lots of time in deciding
                                      > about where the darts should start. It turned out great.
                                      >
                                      > Materials I used:
                                      > 1.9 Ripstop for the outside and top
                                      > 1.1 Ripstop for inside (over insulation)
                                      > Climashield Combat for insulation
                                      > 3/32 shock cord for both drawstrings
                                      >
                                      > Since I did not put any Velcro on outside of the bivy, I slid it
                                      > over the ridge line to allow the bug netting to stay sealed. If
                                      > others are going to use ridgeline and bug netting inside the cocoon
                                      > I might recommend adding 8-10inches to the length at the fool end.
                                      >
                                      > I also did not cut darts into the insulation. I did sew in some
                                      > slack (careful not to bunching it up) to simulate darts allowing the
                                      > center to not have tension (as it still needs to be longer like the
                                      > fabric. This way the insulation did take the shape very well
                                      > without bunching up.
                                      >
                                      > Preliminary testing shows it to really add warmth with flexibility
                                      > to adjust the tension on the drawstring allowing adjustment to the
                                      > warmth.
                                      >
                                      > Looking forward to getting it into the outdoors.
                                      >
                                      > Deb, Thanks again for your time to provide so much information for
                                      > other do-it-yourselfers!
                                      >
                                      > /Rodney
                                      >
                                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
                                      > <dweisens@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                                      > > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
                                      > >
                                      > > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it
                                      > needs
                                      > > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                                      > > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling.
                                      > If
                                      > > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                                      > > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
                                      > >
                                      > > DebW

                                    • Patrick
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 18, 2007
                                        FWIW, I finished my SockPod (that's what I'm calling it, I suppose). Not
                                        quite as nice as what ya'll would come up with, but it will work for
                                        me... here's the link to photos:
                                        http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/HammockSockPod
                                        <http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/HammockSockPod>

                                        Here's my report from another forum:

                                        It's modeled after a bug bivvy I made a while back, (also modeled after
                                        Blackbishop's hammock sock
                                        <http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/sock-inside1.jpg> , and
                                        Just Jeff's hammock sock
                                        <http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html> and Risk's
                                        travel pod <http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm> ) and it
                                        consists of 2 sheets of 125" x 60" 1.9 oz. DWR ripstop sewn together to
                                        form a tube, with a 96'-ish #3 zipper (with 2 reversable pulls that
                                        close head-to-head) at one seam and paracord drawstrings at the ends.

                                        The drawstrings at the ends allow for easy setup and ventilation on each
                                        end, and the zipper allows the pod/sock to be completely closed on the
                                        ends, but still allows flexible ventilation through a moveable,
                                        resizable, zippered vent hole (like Risk's pod). You can either pull it
                                        up over you like a sock, or leave it set up completely and enter through
                                        the side zipper entrance. The zipper entrance can also act as a window
                                        to outside, which I find pretty important.

                                        I have no idea what it weighs, but it could (always!) be made to be
                                        lighter, by using lighter materials (lighter ripstop, etc), these were
                                        just the materials I had at hand. I did use a lighter zipper, #3, and
                                        also pulled the center fibers out of the paracord, but the biggest
                                        difference would be the weight of the material itself. I also didn't try
                                        to taper the material like Risk did.