Re: Leaky hammock

  • Brian Tutor
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
      I just went through this myself. I am prepping for a 2 month AT
      section hike. So during a recent rainy evening I took my stock
      Hennessey Expedition Asym out in the backyard for the night. I
      started out with the tarp flipped the wrong way. When setting up
      make sure the corners of the tarp are centered over the tie-outs on
      the hammock. If not flip it over and check again.

      But even after I had it setup properly I had a wet night. I did have
      drip lines tied to both ends. My problem was that the stock tarp
      ties directly to the main suspension line. No matter how tight you
      get the tarp as soon as you get in it will sag.

      I managed to stay out all night but I was definitley damp. And this
      was a fairly gentle rain with no wind. In a storm I would be risking
      hypothermia with my down bag. I'm sure with careful setup and alot
      of experience this tarp would suffice. But I don't want to be out
      with a measuring tape in the middle of storm.

      I opted for a 9'x9' tarp that I tie off directly to the trees. This
      way you can tie it off lower than the main suspension line. When you
      get in the tarp and hammock are nice and close. Also the additional
      tarp size can be staked down to the ground to fully stop all blowing
      wind and rain. Finally since you carry it separately you can setup
      just the tarp when the rain begins. That way you can be nice and dry
      while you setup your hammock and camp.

      I couldn't afford a light silnylon tarp so I went with this one.
      http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247
      It is a little heavier but the material won't stretch and it is cheap.
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
        ok, i see what you're saying now. the knot is tied in the end of the line that hangs loose.
        that makes much better sense<g> thanks

        Carey Parks <Carey@...> wrote:
        Note that I specifically said "IN THE END" of the lines, so the knot is not
        involved in doing any work. It is good that you remind folks not to put
        knots (or leave knots that tie themselves) in their cordage since it does
        reduce the working strength of the line.

        I tied a turkshead knot around the suspension line of my hammock with thin
        bright orange line. Thus I can both see and feel the head end of my hammock.
        In the tarp, since it is an asym Hennessy I did the same thing, plus I added
        a single overhand knot in the end of the left-as-you-lie-in-it (aka port)
        guy and two in the end of the other one.

        As you mention, in no case is it wise to have the load passing thru a knot
        you don't need.

        Cheers,

        Carey

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 1, 2007
          Hi, Brian-

          I'm especially time-challenge lately and have not added previously to this discussion.

          If you had water problems, I would guess it is from blowing rain. The Prussic knots that hold the fly onto the hammock suspension lines should function similarly to "drip lines," as long as those knots are tight. Get into your hammock for a minute or two, then get out and tighten lines after things have moved and settled.

          When you are setting up, the sides of the fly should be positioned and snugged before the long ends are tightened up. Use this same order when retightening lines. As you said, be sure to line up the corners as you set up, checking these during the snug-up process. In stormy weather, be sure the fly sides are pulled/angled as low to the hammock body as possible without totally cutting off air circulation.

          If the storm conditions that you encounter overcome the design and taut set up, consider applying a waterproof-breathable spray on the hammock body. I've stayed dry through tropical storms in the Ultralite Backpacker, the model before the Asym backpacker. If you are using the Expedition Asym, the hammock body has a different fabric, more breathable, but not one with a DWR finish.

          Good Luck!

          Rosaleen

          Re: Leaky hammock
          Posted by: "Brian Tutor" btutor@...<mailto:btutor@...> btutor
          Date: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:49 pm ((PDT))

          I just went through this myself. I am prepping for a 2 month AT
          section hike. So during a recent rainy evening I took my stock
          Hennessey Expedition Asym out in the backyard for the night. I
          started out with the tarp flipped the wrong way. When setting up
          make sure the corners of the tarp are centered over the tie-outs on
          the hammock. If not flip it over and check again.

          But even after I had it setup properly I had a wet night. I did have
          drip lines tied to both ends. (SNIP)