Re: Does Anyone Here Love Yurts?

  • alidisaster
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 18, 2003
      I don't think that would work in English weather. Lashing rain +
      winds would equal leakages. Also, you would have the problem of the
      wind 'lifting' the roof.

      Normally, people in the UK put a stovepipe up through the roof. This
      seems to work fine.

      I can imagine that in dry areas, such as the Mongolian desert, the
      roof cap wouldn't be needed. But not England!

      Beautiful as they are, yurts are not really suited to the damp
      english climate for long-term use. I have friends who have lived in
      their's for 6 years now - and they are always planning to build
      something else. The single biggest problem is keeping the fabric
      dry.

      > Properly built you shouldn't need the central ring covering at all.
      > If you leave that off, you get natural currents to ventilate the
      > interior and a small center stove is enough to keep the dwelling
      > warm. The open ring acts as a natural chimney. To keep rain out,
      the
      > common technique is to offset a cover a foot or two above the
      > central opening that looks like a "hat" on the roof.
      >

      > That sounds like the polyogonal compound tent of the Koryaks or
      > maybe the tents the Eveni people use. They both use series of
      > interlocking alternating triangle formations for the walls/roofs.
      > The Koryak's tend to build larger ones than the Eveni I believe so
      > need to extend the triangles up to the peak. The Eveni tent is
      > usually only about 3-4' tall (wall heigh).

      The ones we build here tend to have 5' walls and be around 12ft in
      diameter. Don't know if that is traditional in any way, or just
      evolved. They are very easy to make - we use copper or plastic water
      pipe for the ends to make joints.
      A class of 9-yr-old children at my kid's school are making one.