Re: Leaky hammock

  • Brian Tutor
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
      I just went through this myself. I am prepping for a 2 month AT
      section hike. So during a recent rainy evening I took my stock
      Hennessey Expedition Asym out in the backyard for the night. I
      started out with the tarp flipped the wrong way. When setting up
      make sure the corners of the tarp are centered over the tie-outs on
      the hammock. If not flip it over and check again.

      But even after I had it setup properly I had a wet night. I did have
      drip lines tied to both ends. My problem was that the stock tarp
      ties directly to the main suspension line. No matter how tight you
      get the tarp as soon as you get in it will sag.

      I managed to stay out all night but I was definitley damp. And this
      was a fairly gentle rain with no wind. In a storm I would be risking
      hypothermia with my down bag. I'm sure with careful setup and alot
      of experience this tarp would suffice. But I don't want to be out
      with a measuring tape in the middle of storm.

      I opted for a 9'x9' tarp that I tie off directly to the trees. This
      way you can tie it off lower than the main suspension line. When you
      get in the tarp and hammock are nice and close. Also the additional
      tarp size can be staked down to the ground to fully stop all blowing
      wind and rain. Finally since you carry it separately you can setup
      just the tarp when the rain begins. That way you can be nice and dry
      while you setup your hammock and camp.

      I couldn't afford a light silnylon tarp so I went with this one.
      http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247
      It is a little heavier but the material won't stretch and it is cheap.
    • Carey Parks
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
        Note that I specifically said "IN THE END" of the lines, so the knot is not
        involved in doing any work. It is good that you remind folks not to put
        knots (or leave knots that tie themselves) in their cordage since it does
        reduce the working strength of the line.

        I tied a turkshead knot around the suspension line of my hammock with thin
        bright orange line. Thus I can both see and feel the head end of my hammock.
        In the tarp, since it is an asym Hennessy I did the same thing, plus I added
        a single overhand knot in the end of the left-as-you-lie-in-it (aka port)
        guy and two in the end of the other one.

        As you mention, in no case is it wise to have the load passing thru a knot
        you don't need.

        Cheers,

        Carey

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
          Back when I used a hammock that had a unique head end and foot end I
          didn't mark which end was which but I did keep up with where each end
          was. I used a large enough stuff sack to easily stuff the hammock
          into it and I stuffed it so I knew which end came out of the stuff
          sack first. To do that you have to properly stuff it and I did that
          by untying the foot end, rolling up the suspension line, putting that
          in the stuff sack first, then stuff a foot or so of the hammock at a
          time until I got to the second tree, then I would untie that, roll
          that suspension line and finishing stuffing. That leaves the
          suspension line for the headend at the top of the stuff sack. So when
          you deploy it, you take out the suspension line for the head end, tie
          that off and just hold on to the bottom end

          In simpler terms it goes like this and it is no problem if you can
          keep up with it (head out... foot in... just like a sleeping bag):

          1- Use large enough stuff sack to easily stuff the hammock.

          2- Always stuff the foot end first (that's the 'in' part).

          3- Always deploy the head end first (that's the 'out' part).

          Dave Womble
          aka Youngblood 2000
          designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, <opnheartscrub@...> wrote:

          > ---- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:
          > > i would suggest not tying an unnecessary knot in the line,
          especially the hammock support line. knots weaken a rope or webbing.
          > > i tie a piece of colored string around one end. red for red
          head???

          > ...and blue for shoe :;^}
          >
          > Brian
          > T-Back
          >
          > The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and
          > > are ours for the asking...walk in faith.

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
            That's exactly what I do. Also, I have a stuff sack large enough so the
            hammock and the JBR nest can easily go in all together. Saves fiddling
            around with set up and take down. I think it's easier on the nest to
            put it into a large stuff sack and then have heavier things compress it
            into my pack than to cram it into the little silnylon bag it comes with.

            Also, when setting up, I try to tie up the head end first at the more
            awkward place to set up. Then I do all my adjusting at the foot end to
            get the angles right (I like head a little lower).

            CL

              dt king wrote:
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" wrote:

              > Some of the
              > Hennessy tarps are not symmetrical and they have to be oriented the
              > correct way or the ends of the hammock are exposed directly to rain.

              Ya know, think I'll break out the sharpies and deface my tarp and
              support lines just enough to color code the ends.

              David King

            • Rosaleen Sullivan
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 1, 2007
                Hi, Brian-

                I'm especially time-challenge lately and have not added previously to this discussion.

                If you had water problems, I would guess it is from blowing rain. The Prussic knots that hold the fly onto the hammock suspension lines should function similarly to "drip lines," as long as those knots are tight. Get into your hammock for a minute or two, then get out and tighten lines after things have moved and settled.

                When you are setting up, the sides of the fly should be positioned and snugged before the long ends are tightened up. Use this same order when retightening lines. As you said, be sure to line up the corners as you set up, checking these during the snug-up process. In stormy weather, be sure the fly sides are pulled/angled as low to the hammock body as possible without totally cutting off air circulation.

                If the storm conditions that you encounter overcome the design and taut set up, consider applying a waterproof-breathable spray on the hammock body. I've stayed dry through tropical storms in the Ultralite Backpacker, the model before the Asym backpacker. If you are using the Expedition Asym, the hammock body has a different fabric, more breathable, but not one with a DWR finish.

                Good Luck!

                Rosaleen

                Re: Leaky hammock
                Posted by: "Brian Tutor" btutor@...<mailto:btutor@...> btutor
                Date: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:49 pm ((PDT))

                I just went through this myself. I am prepping for a 2 month AT
                section hike. So during a recent rainy evening I took my stock
                Hennessey Expedition Asym out in the backyard for the night. I
                started out with the tarp flipped the wrong way. When setting up
                make sure the corners of the tarp are centered over the tie-outs on
                the hammock. If not flip it over and check again.

                But even after I had it setup properly I had a wet night. I did have
                drip lines tied to both ends. (SNIP)