RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Leaky hammock

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 30 6:49 PM
      You might consider tying a knot around or in the end of the lines so you can
      tell them apart in the dark. Same knots in the hammock and tarp lines help
      you match things up when it's a dark and stormy night.

      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 30 6:53 PM
        That's one of the first things I did when I got my HH, but I used
        white-out mixed in glow-in-the-dark fingernail polish (white-out by day,
        polish by night). I marked the plastic ring on the tarp and the plastic
        hook on the hammock. As it turns out, I ended up not using the marks as
        the water-bottle funnels/fly tensioners made the match much more
        intuitive.

        Another thing I did was exchange the tarp lines for pink and white.
        This was to keep me and others from tripping over them. I could have
        used Trip-Tease, but I already had the the other colors.

        CL

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 31 3:26 AM
          i would suggest not tying an unnecessary knot in the line, especially the hammock support line. knots weaken a rope or webbing.
          i tie a piece of colored string around one end. red for red head???

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 31 5:14 AM
            ---- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:
            > i would suggest not tying an unnecessary knot in the line, especially the hammock support line. knots weaken a rope or webbing.
            > i tie a piece of colored string around one end. red for red head???

            ...and blue for shoe :;^}

            Brian
            T-Back

            The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and
            > are ours for the asking...walk in faith.
          • Stuhr, Tim
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 31 5:32 AM
              A small colored nylon cable tie (zip tie) works well too.

              Stoikurt

              > i would suggest not tying an unnecessary knot in the line,
              especially the hammock support line. knots weaken a rope or webbing.
              > i tie a piece of colored string around one end. red for red
              head???

              ...and blue for shoe :;^}

              Brian
              T-Back

              The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and
              > are ours for the asking...walk in faith.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Brian Tutor
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 31 5:58 AM
                I just went through this myself. I am prepping for a 2 month AT
                section hike. So during a recent rainy evening I took my stock
                Hennessey Expedition Asym out in the backyard for the night. I
                started out with the tarp flipped the wrong way. When setting up
                make sure the corners of the tarp are centered over the tie-outs on
                the hammock. If not flip it over and check again.

                But even after I had it setup properly I had a wet night. I did have
                drip lines tied to both ends. My problem was that the stock tarp
                ties directly to the main suspension line. No matter how tight you
                get the tarp as soon as you get in it will sag.

                I managed to stay out all night but I was definitley damp. And this
                was a fairly gentle rain with no wind. In a storm I would be risking
                hypothermia with my down bag. I'm sure with careful setup and alot
                of experience this tarp would suffice. But I don't want to be out
                with a measuring tape in the middle of storm.

                I opted for a 9'x9' tarp that I tie off directly to the trees. This
                way you can tie it off lower than the main suspension line. When you
                get in the tarp and hammock are nice and close. Also the additional
                tarp size can be staked down to the ground to fully stop all blowing
                wind and rain. Finally since you carry it separately you can setup
                just the tarp when the rain begins. That way you can be nice and dry
                while you setup your hammock and camp.

                I couldn't afford a light silnylon tarp so I went with this one.
                http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247
                It is a little heavier but the material won't stretch and it is cheap.
              • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 31 6:11 AM
                  ---- "Stuhr wrote:
                  > A small colored nylon cable tie (zip tie) works well too.
                  >
                  > Stoikurt

                  That's exactly what I used to use. It's lightweight, durable, and doesn't get in the way.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 31 6:57 AM
                    Note that I specifically said "IN THE END" of the lines, so the knot is not
                    involved in doing any work. It is good that you remind folks not to put
                    knots (or leave knots that tie themselves) in their cordage since it does
                    reduce the working strength of the line.

                    I tied a turkshead knot around the suspension line of my hammock with thin
                    bright orange line. Thus I can both see and feel the head end of my hammock.
                    In the tarp, since it is an asym Hennessy I did the same thing, plus I added
                    a single overhand knot in the end of the left-as-you-lie-in-it (aka port)
                    guy and two in the end of the other one.

                    As you mention, in no case is it wise to have the load passing thru a knot
                    you don't need.

                    Cheers,

                    Carey

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 31 6:57 AM
                      Back when I used a hammock that had a unique head end and foot end I
                      didn't mark which end was which but I did keep up with where each end
                      was. I used a large enough stuff sack to easily stuff the hammock
                      into it and I stuffed it so I knew which end came out of the stuff
                      sack first. To do that you have to properly stuff it and I did that
                      by untying the foot end, rolling up the suspension line, putting that
                      in the stuff sack first, then stuff a foot or so of the hammock at a
                      time until I got to the second tree, then I would untie that, roll
                      that suspension line and finishing stuffing. That leaves the
                      suspension line for the headend at the top of the stuff sack. So when
                      you deploy it, you take out the suspension line for the head end, tie
                      that off and just hold on to the bottom end

                      In simpler terms it goes like this and it is no problem if you can
                      keep up with it (head out... foot in... just like a sleeping bag):

                      1- Use large enough stuff sack to easily stuff the hammock.

                      2- Always stuff the foot end first (that's the 'in' part).

                      3- Always deploy the head end first (that's the 'out' part).

                      Dave Womble
                      aka Youngblood 2000
                      designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, <opnheartscrub@...> wrote:

                      > ---- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:
                      > > i would suggest not tying an unnecessary knot in the line,
                      especially the hammock support line. knots weaken a rope or webbing.
                      > > i tie a piece of colored string around one end. red for red
                      head???

                      > ...and blue for shoe :;^}
                      >
                      > Brian
                      > T-Back
                      >
                      > The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and
                      > > are ours for the asking...walk in faith.

                    • Cara Lin Bridgman
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 31 7:37 AM
                        That's exactly what I do. Also, I have a stuff sack large enough so the
                        hammock and the JBR nest can easily go in all together. Saves fiddling
                        around with set up and take down. I think it's easier on the nest to
                        put it into a large stuff sack and then have heavier things compress it
                        into my pack than to cram it into the little silnylon bag it comes with.

                        Also, when setting up, I try to tie up the head end first at the more
                        awkward place to set up. Then I do all my adjusting at the foot end to
                        get the angles right (I like head a little lower).

                        CL

                          dt king wrote:
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" wrote:

                          > Some of the
                          > Hennessy tarps are not symmetrical and they have to be oriented the
                          > correct way or the ends of the hammock are exposed directly to rain.

                          Ya know, think I'll break out the sharpies and deface my tarp and
                          support lines just enough to color code the ends.

                          David King

                        • Rosaleen Sullivan
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 1, 2007
                            Hi, Brian-

                            I'm especially time-challenge lately and have not added previously to this discussion.

                            If you had water problems, I would guess it is from blowing rain. The Prussic knots that hold the fly onto the hammock suspension lines should function similarly to "drip lines," as long as those knots are tight. Get into your hammock for a minute or two, then get out and tighten lines after things have moved and settled.

                            When you are setting up, the sides of the fly should be positioned and snugged before the long ends are tightened up. Use this same order when retightening lines. As you said, be sure to line up the corners as you set up, checking these during the snug-up process. In stormy weather, be sure the fly sides are pulled/angled as low to the hammock body as possible without totally cutting off air circulation.

                            If the storm conditions that you encounter overcome the design and taut set up, consider applying a waterproof-breathable spray on the hammock body. I've stayed dry through tropical storms in the Ultralite Backpacker, the model before the Asym backpacker. If you are using the Expedition Asym, the hammock body has a different fabric, more breathable, but not one with a DWR finish.

                            Good Luck!

                            Rosaleen

                            Re: Leaky hammock
                            Posted by: "Brian Tutor" btutor@...<mailto:btutor@...> btutor
                            Date: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:49 pm ((PDT))

                            I just went through this myself. I am prepping for a 2 month AT
                            section hike. So during a recent rainy evening I took my stock
                            Hennessey Expedition Asym out in the backyard for the night. I
                            started out with the tarp flipped the wrong way. When setting up
                            make sure the corners of the tarp are centered over the tie-outs on
                            the hammock. If not flip it over and check again.

                            But even after I had it setup properly I had a wet night. I did have
                            drip lines tied to both ends. (SNIP)