Re: Leaky hammock

  • dt king
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 30, 2007

      > Some of the
      > Hennessy tarps are not symmetrical and they have to be oriented the
      > correct way or the ends of the hammock are exposed directly to rain.

      Ya know, think I'll break out the sharpies and deface my tarp and
      support lines just enough to color code the ends.

      David King
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 30, 2007
        not a bad idea.
        i did that w/ a foot print i used for a small tent i used (back in my bad days<g>)
        it had an off set shape that was not immediately obvious to see one side from the other when time came to lay it out.

        dt king <whipmaker@...> wrote:
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" wrote:

        > Some of the
        > Hennessy tarps are not symmetrical and they have to be oriented the
        > correct way or the ends of the hammock are exposed directly to rain.

        Ya know, think I'll break out the sharpies and deface my tarp and
        support lines just enough to color code the ends.

        David King

      • Carey Parks
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 30, 2007
          You might consider tying a knot around or in the end of the lines so you can
          tell them apart in the dark. Same knots in the hammock and tarp lines help
          you match things up when it's a dark and stormy night.

          dt king <whipmaker@...> wrote:
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" wrote:

          > Some of the
          > Hennessy tarps are not symmetrical and they have to be oriented the
          > correct way or the ends of the hammock are exposed directly to rain.

          Ya know, think I'll break out the sharpies and deface my tarp and
          support lines just enough to color code the ends.

          David King

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 30, 2007
            That's one of the first things I did when I got my HH, but I used
            white-out mixed in glow-in-the-dark fingernail polish (white-out by day,
            polish by night). I marked the plastic ring on the tarp and the plastic
            hook on the hammock. As it turns out, I ended up not using the marks as
            the water-bottle funnels/fly tensioners made the match much more
            intuitive.

            Another thing I did was exchange the tarp lines for pink and white.
            This was to keep me and others from tripping over them. I could have
            used Trip-Tease, but I already had the the other colors.

            CL

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
              i would suggest not tying an unnecessary knot in the line, especially the hammock support line. knots weaken a rope or webbing.
              i tie a piece of colored string around one end. red for red head???

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
                ---- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:
                > i would suggest not tying an unnecessary knot in the line, especially the hammock support line. knots weaken a rope or webbing.
                > i tie a piece of colored string around one end. red for red head???

                ...and blue for shoe :;^}

                Brian
                T-Back

                The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and
                > are ours for the asking...walk in faith.
              • Stuhr, Tim
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
                  A small colored nylon cable tie (zip tie) works well too.

                  Stoikurt

                  > i would suggest not tying an unnecessary knot in the line,
                  especially the hammock support line. knots weaken a rope or webbing.
                  > i tie a piece of colored string around one end. red for red
                  head???

                  ...and blue for shoe :;^}

                  Brian
                  T-Back

                  The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and
                  > are ours for the asking...walk in faith.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Brian Tutor
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
                    I just went through this myself. I am prepping for a 2 month AT
                    section hike. So during a recent rainy evening I took my stock
                    Hennessey Expedition Asym out in the backyard for the night. I
                    started out with the tarp flipped the wrong way. When setting up
                    make sure the corners of the tarp are centered over the tie-outs on
                    the hammock. If not flip it over and check again.

                    But even after I had it setup properly I had a wet night. I did have
                    drip lines tied to both ends. My problem was that the stock tarp
                    ties directly to the main suspension line. No matter how tight you
                    get the tarp as soon as you get in it will sag.

                    I managed to stay out all night but I was definitley damp. And this
                    was a fairly gentle rain with no wind. In a storm I would be risking
                    hypothermia with my down bag. I'm sure with careful setup and alot
                    of experience this tarp would suffice. But I don't want to be out
                    with a measuring tape in the middle of storm.

                    I opted for a 9'x9' tarp that I tie off directly to the trees. This
                    way you can tie it off lower than the main suspension line. When you
                    get in the tarp and hammock are nice and close. Also the additional
                    tarp size can be staked down to the ground to fully stop all blowing
                    wind and rain. Finally since you carry it separately you can setup
                    just the tarp when the rain begins. That way you can be nice and dry
                    while you setup your hammock and camp.

                    I couldn't afford a light silnylon tarp so I went with this one.
                    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247
                    It is a little heavier but the material won't stretch and it is cheap.
                  • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
                      ---- "Stuhr wrote:
                      > A small colored nylon cable tie (zip tie) works well too.
                      >
                      > Stoikurt

                      That's exactly what I used to use. It's lightweight, durable, and doesn't get in the way.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
                        Note that I specifically said "IN THE END" of the lines, so the knot is not
                        involved in doing any work. It is good that you remind folks not to put
                        knots (or leave knots that tie themselves) in their cordage since it does
                        reduce the working strength of the line.

                        I tied a turkshead knot around the suspension line of my hammock with thin
                        bright orange line. Thus I can both see and feel the head end of my hammock.
                        In the tarp, since it is an asym Hennessy I did the same thing, plus I added
                        a single overhand knot in the end of the left-as-you-lie-in-it (aka port)
                        guy and two in the end of the other one.

                        As you mention, in no case is it wise to have the load passing thru a knot
                        you don't need.

                        Cheers,

                        Carey

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
                          Back when I used a hammock that had a unique head end and foot end I
                          didn't mark which end was which but I did keep up with where each end
                          was. I used a large enough stuff sack to easily stuff the hammock
                          into it and I stuffed it so I knew which end came out of the stuff
                          sack first. To do that you have to properly stuff it and I did that
                          by untying the foot end, rolling up the suspension line, putting that
                          in the stuff sack first, then stuff a foot or so of the hammock at a
                          time until I got to the second tree, then I would untie that, roll
                          that suspension line and finishing stuffing. That leaves the
                          suspension line for the headend at the top of the stuff sack. So when
                          you deploy it, you take out the suspension line for the head end, tie
                          that off and just hold on to the bottom end

                          In simpler terms it goes like this and it is no problem if you can
                          keep up with it (head out... foot in... just like a sleeping bag):

                          1- Use large enough stuff sack to easily stuff the hammock.

                          2- Always stuff the foot end first (that's the 'in' part).

                          3- Always deploy the head end first (that's the 'out' part).

                          Dave Womble
                          aka Youngblood 2000
                          designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
                            That's exactly what I do. Also, I have a stuff sack large enough so the
                            hammock and the JBR nest can easily go in all together. Saves fiddling
                            around with set up and take down. I think it's easier on the nest to
                            put it into a large stuff sack and then have heavier things compress it
                            into my pack than to cram it into the little silnylon bag it comes with.

                            Also, when setting up, I try to tie up the head end first at the more
                            awkward place to set up. Then I do all my adjusting at the foot end to
                            get the angles right (I like head a little lower).

                            CL

                              dt king wrote:
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" wrote:

                              > Some of the
                              > Hennessy tarps are not symmetrical and they have to be oriented the
                              > correct way or the ends of the hammock are exposed directly to rain.

                              Ya know, think I'll break out the sharpies and deface my tarp and
                              support lines just enough to color code the ends.

                              David King

                            • Rosaleen Sullivan
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 1 7:07 AM
                                Hi, Brian-

                                I'm especially time-challenge lately and have not added previously to this discussion.

                                If you had water problems, I would guess it is from blowing rain. The Prussic knots that hold the fly onto the hammock suspension lines should function similarly to "drip lines," as long as those knots are tight. Get into your hammock for a minute or two, then get out and tighten lines after things have moved and settled.

                                When you are setting up, the sides of the fly should be positioned and snugged before the long ends are tightened up. Use this same order when retightening lines. As you said, be sure to line up the corners as you set up, checking these during the snug-up process. In stormy weather, be sure the fly sides are pulled/angled as low to the hammock body as possible without totally cutting off air circulation.

                                If the storm conditions that you encounter overcome the design and taut set up, consider applying a waterproof-breathable spray on the hammock body. I've stayed dry through tropical storms in the Ultralite Backpacker, the model before the Asym backpacker. If you are using the Expedition Asym, the hammock body has a different fabric, more breathable, but not one with a DWR finish.

                                Good Luck!

                                Rosaleen

                                Re: Leaky hammock
                                Posted by: "Brian Tutor" btutor@...<mailto:btutor@...> btutor
                                Date: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:49 pm ((PDT))

                                I just went through this myself. I am prepping for a 2 month AT
                                section hike. So during a recent rainy evening I took my stock
                                Hennessey Expedition Asym out in the backyard for the night. I
                                started out with the tarp flipped the wrong way. When setting up
                                make sure the corners of the tarp are centered over the tie-outs on
                                the hammock. If not flip it over and check again.

                                But even after I had it setup properly I had a wet night. I did have
                                drip lines tied to both ends. (SNIP)