Leaky hammock

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 28 8:07 PM
      Hi Everyone

      I don't seem to have much of a chance to enter into any discussions
      lately too many trips, though I do read most of the e-mails. Good stuff!!

      I was guiding a trip on the 'West Coast Trail' off of Vancouver Island,
      BC, 2 weeks ago and for the first time I used my Hennessey hammock out
      there.
      I had used a Siam hammock before but was not happy with it. The
      Hennessey is more stable, though hanging out there does create its own
      issues. I will send pictures later.
      On the 5th night out at 52 km it poured with rain at 5am for over an
      hour. My hammock got soaked and I found myself running into one of my
      clients tents for shelter (not a good thing).. So I tightened everything
      down the next night as well as adjusted it as much as possible, well it
      rained again the next night and yes it leaked again not as bad and was
      able to get on my side enough that it did not get my sleeping bag.
      So now I am thinking of a bigger tarp or ANY suggestions would do.
      I cannot afford that to happen in the mountains at all. Not using my
      hammock would not be a good thing. I do have a Hennessey Ultra light

      Thanks
      Debbie in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 28 8:33 PM
        So now I am thinking of a bigger tarp or ANY suggestions would do.
        I cannot afford that to happen in the mountains at all. Not using my
        hammock would not be a good thing. I do have a Hennessey Ultra light

        Thanks
        Debbie in Calgary, Alberta, Canada

        Was it leaking in through the sides of the tarp, or just coming in the ends?

        A bigger tarp would help either way,

        If from the sides or ends

        - you could pitch the tarp lower
        - You could pitch it tighter (steeper) closer to the hammock
        -

        Is the water running down the rope?
        A drip interupter would help (Piece of twine on the rope just under the
        tarp)

        Ralph

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 29 4:58 AM
          yep... what ralph said. a lot of people (even light weight backpackers) get a bigger tarp.
          a silnylon tarp is lightest. speer hammocks sells them.

          it's a BIG help if you can hang the tarp side ways to the primary wind direction, so the side of the tarp will catch most of the wind & rain.

          hang the tarp lower (closer to the hammock) when needed. some folks will attach the tarp line to the tree BELOW the hammock support. it will be against the hammock, but when you get in the hammock, it will hang several inches lower, leaving a space between the hammock & the tarp. but the lower tarp will cover the hammock sides if it's blowing rain.

          be sure the tarp is centered over the hammock. if there's rain & wind, you may need to look at using something to provide additional coverage at one or both ends of the tarp.
          a rain jacket or an umbrella are a couple good options.

          and a rain diverter of some kind may be needed in heavy rain, because a surprising amount of water will be running down the sides of a tree in heavy rain, & some of that can make it's way down the hammock supports. but a cotton strip tied to the rope & hanging down will divert just about all of it down to the ground.

          let us know if you have more questions. hammocking in hard rain is very doable. matter of fact, there's no place i'd rather be than in my hammock when the rain's pouring down<g>.
          ...tim

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 29 9:09 AM
            I thought I would add this to Ralph's comments. It is obvious when
            you look at it and most people recognize the issue right away... but
            sometimes people miss it the first time they use it. Some of the
            Hennessy tarps are not symmetrical and they have to be oriented the
            correct way or the ends of the hammock are exposed directly to rain.

            Dave Womble
            aka Youngblood
            designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and Snugfit Underquilt

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 29 1:13 PM
                Thanks for the ideas. Yes I had learnt the angle of the tarp the hard way a couple of months ago. The water did come down from the tie off ends and not through the fly. I am interested in the tarp through Speer. is it on the web site and would it fit the Hennessy. The cotton idea sounds interesting. Will do as well.
                Debbie

                > that's true. i've seen it happen more than once.
                > it's not really obvious that the fly is on up side down, & like
                > dave said, it just doesn't line up that way. ...tim
                >
                > Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: I thought I
                > would add this to Ralph's comments. It is obvious when
                > you look at it and most people recognize the issue right away... but
                > sometimes people miss it the first time they use it. Some of the
                > Hennessy tarps are not symmetrical and they have to be oriented the
                > correct way or the ends of the hammock are exposed directly to rain.
                >
                > Dave Womble
                > aka Youngblood
                > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and Snugfit Underquilt

              • dt king
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 30 5:41 AM

                  > Some of the
                  > Hennessy tarps are not symmetrical and they have to be oriented the
                  > correct way or the ends of the hammock are exposed directly to rain.

                  Ya know, think I'll break out the sharpies and deface my tarp and
                  support lines just enough to color code the ends.

                  David King
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 30 6:07 PM
                    not a bad idea.
                    i did that w/ a foot print i used for a small tent i used (back in my bad days<g>)
                    it had an off set shape that was not immediately obvious to see one side from the other when time came to lay it out.

                    dt king <whipmaker@...> wrote:
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" wrote:

                    > Some of the
                    > Hennessy tarps are not symmetrical and they have to be oriented the
                    > correct way or the ends of the hammock are exposed directly to rain.

                    Ya know, think I'll break out the sharpies and deface my tarp and
                    support lines just enough to color code the ends.

                    David King

                  • Carey Parks
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 30 6:49 PM
                      You might consider tying a knot around or in the end of the lines so you can
                      tell them apart in the dark. Same knots in the hammock and tarp lines help
                      you match things up when it's a dark and stormy night.

                      dt king <whipmaker@...> wrote:
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" wrote:

                      > Some of the
                      > Hennessy tarps are not symmetrical and they have to be oriented the
                      > correct way or the ends of the hammock are exposed directly to rain.

                      Ya know, think I'll break out the sharpies and deface my tarp and
                      support lines just enough to color code the ends.

                      David King

                    • Cara Lin Bridgman
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 30 6:53 PM
                        That's one of the first things I did when I got my HH, but I used
                        white-out mixed in glow-in-the-dark fingernail polish (white-out by day,
                        polish by night). I marked the plastic ring on the tarp and the plastic
                        hook on the hammock. As it turns out, I ended up not using the marks as
                        the water-bottle funnels/fly tensioners made the match much more
                        intuitive.

                        Another thing I did was exchange the tarp lines for pink and white.
                        This was to keep me and others from tripping over them. I could have
                        used Trip-Tease, but I already had the the other colors.

                        CL

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 31 3:26 AM
                          i would suggest not tying an unnecessary knot in the line, especially the hammock support line. knots weaken a rope or webbing.
                          i tie a piece of colored string around one end. red for red head???

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 31 5:14 AM
                            ---- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:
                            > i would suggest not tying an unnecessary knot in the line, especially the hammock support line. knots weaken a rope or webbing.
                            > i tie a piece of colored string around one end. red for red head???

                            ...and blue for shoe :;^}

                            Brian
                            T-Back

                            The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and
                            > are ours for the asking...walk in faith.
                          • Stuhr, Tim
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 31 5:32 AM
                              A small colored nylon cable tie (zip tie) works well too.

                              Stoikurt

                              > i would suggest not tying an unnecessary knot in the line,
                              especially the hammock support line. knots weaken a rope or webbing.
                              > i tie a piece of colored string around one end. red for red
                              head???

                              ...and blue for shoe :;^}

                              Brian
                              T-Back

                              The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and
                              > are ours for the asking...walk in faith.

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • Brian Tutor
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 31 5:58 AM
                                I just went through this myself. I am prepping for a 2 month AT
                                section hike. So during a recent rainy evening I took my stock
                                Hennessey Expedition Asym out in the backyard for the night. I
                                started out with the tarp flipped the wrong way. When setting up
                                make sure the corners of the tarp are centered over the tie-outs on
                                the hammock. If not flip it over and check again.

                                But even after I had it setup properly I had a wet night. I did have
                                drip lines tied to both ends. My problem was that the stock tarp
                                ties directly to the main suspension line. No matter how tight you
                                get the tarp as soon as you get in it will sag.

                                I managed to stay out all night but I was definitley damp. And this
                                was a fairly gentle rain with no wind. In a storm I would be risking
                                hypothermia with my down bag. I'm sure with careful setup and alot
                                of experience this tarp would suffice. But I don't want to be out
                                with a measuring tape in the middle of storm.

                                I opted for a 9'x9' tarp that I tie off directly to the trees. This
                                way you can tie it off lower than the main suspension line. When you
                                get in the tarp and hammock are nice and close. Also the additional
                                tarp size can be staked down to the ground to fully stop all blowing
                                wind and rain. Finally since you carry it separately you can setup
                                just the tarp when the rain begins. That way you can be nice and dry
                                while you setup your hammock and camp.

                                I couldn't afford a light silnylon tarp so I went with this one.
                                http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247
                                It is a little heavier but the material won't stretch and it is cheap.
                              • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 31 6:11 AM
                                  ---- "Stuhr wrote:
                                  > A small colored nylon cable tie (zip tie) works well too.
                                  >
                                  > Stoikurt

                                  That's exactly what I used to use. It's lightweight, durable, and doesn't get in the way.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 31 6:57 AM
                                    Note that I specifically said "IN THE END" of the lines, so the knot is not
                                    involved in doing any work. It is good that you remind folks not to put
                                    knots (or leave knots that tie themselves) in their cordage since it does
                                    reduce the working strength of the line.

                                    I tied a turkshead knot around the suspension line of my hammock with thin
                                    bright orange line. Thus I can both see and feel the head end of my hammock.
                                    In the tarp, since it is an asym Hennessy I did the same thing, plus I added
                                    a single overhand knot in the end of the left-as-you-lie-in-it (aka port)
                                    guy and two in the end of the other one.

                                    As you mention, in no case is it wise to have the load passing thru a knot
                                    you don't need.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Carey

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 31 6:57 AM
                                      Back when I used a hammock that had a unique head end and foot end I
                                      didn't mark which end was which but I did keep up with where each end
                                      was. I used a large enough stuff sack to easily stuff the hammock
                                      into it and I stuffed it so I knew which end came out of the stuff
                                      sack first. To do that you have to properly stuff it and I did that
                                      by untying the foot end, rolling up the suspension line, putting that
                                      in the stuff sack first, then stuff a foot or so of the hammock at a
                                      time until I got to the second tree, then I would untie that, roll
                                      that suspension line and finishing stuffing. That leaves the
                                      suspension line for the headend at the top of the stuff sack. So when
                                      you deploy it, you take out the suspension line for the head end, tie
                                      that off and just hold on to the bottom end

                                      In simpler terms it goes like this and it is no problem if you can
                                      keep up with it (head out... foot in... just like a sleeping bag):

                                      1- Use large enough stuff sack to easily stuff the hammock.

                                      2- Always stuff the foot end first (that's the 'in' part).

                                      3- Always deploy the head end first (that's the 'out' part).

                                      Dave Womble
                                      aka Youngblood 2000

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 31 7:37 AM
                                        That's exactly what I do. Also, I have a stuff sack large enough so the
                                        hammock and the JBR nest can easily go in all together. Saves fiddling
                                        around with set up and take down. I think it's easier on the nest to
                                        put it into a large stuff sack and then have heavier things compress it
                                        into my pack than to cram it into the little silnylon bag it comes with.

                                        Also, when setting up, I try to tie up the head end first at the more
                                        awkward place to set up. Then I do all my adjusting at the foot end to
                                        get the angles right (I like head a little lower).

                                        CL

                                          dt king wrote:
                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" wrote:

                                          > Some of the
                                          > Hennessy tarps are not symmetrical and they have to be oriented the
                                          > correct way or the ends of the hammock are exposed directly to rain.

                                          Ya know, think I'll break out the sharpies and deface my tarp and
                                          support lines just enough to color code the ends.

                                          David King

                                        • Rosaleen Sullivan
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 1, 2007
                                            Hi, Brian-

                                            I'm especially time-challenge lately and have not added previously to this discussion.

                                            If you had water problems, I would guess it is from blowing rain. The Prussic knots that hold the fly onto the hammock suspension lines should function similarly to "drip lines," as long as those knots are tight. Get into your hammock for a minute or two, then get out and tighten lines after things have moved and settled.

                                            When you are setting up, the sides of the fly should be positioned and snugged before the long ends are tightened up. Use this same order when retightening lines. As you said, be sure to line up the corners as you set up, checking these during the snug-up process. In stormy weather, be sure the fly sides are pulled/angled as low to the hammock body as possible without totally cutting off air circulation.

                                            If the storm conditions that you encounter overcome the design and taut set up, consider applying a waterproof-breathable spray on the hammock body. I've stayed dry through tropical storms in the Ultralite Backpacker, the model before the Asym backpacker. If you are using the Expedition Asym, the hammock body has a different fabric, more breathable, but not one with a DWR finish.

                                            Good Luck!

                                            Rosaleen

                                            Re: Leaky hammock
                                            Posted by: "Brian Tutor" btutor@...<mailto:btutor@...> btutor
                                            Date: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:49 pm ((PDT))

                                            I just went through this myself. I am prepping for a 2 month AT
                                            section hike. So during a recent rainy evening I took my stock
                                            Hennessey Expedition Asym out in the backyard for the night. I
                                            started out with the tarp flipped the wrong way. When setting up
                                            make sure the corners of the tarp are centered over the tie-outs on
                                            the hammock. If not flip it over and check again.

                                            But even after I had it setup properly I had a wet night. I did have
                                            drip lines tied to both ends. (SNIP)