Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Beach Hammock set-up

  • Billy Chard
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2007
      Thats interesting. i need to find more info on that do you know where i can find out about structual ridgelines
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28, 2007
        billy... i don't use a structural ridge line... at least not like most people do.
        mine is left tied to the hammock support on the foot end, but i tie it to the tree at the head end after i hang the hammock. but i may soon change that.
        it's purpose is to hold up storage end covers(SEC). the SECs protect the hammock ends from blowing rain, allowing me to keep the tarp higher for better ventilation & a better view.
        they also provide storage for all my gear when the hammock's hung.

        there are others here that can tell you a lot more about choosing a suitable line to use, setting the proper length, etc.
        one good source for seeing an explanation of ridge lines & a lot more is jeff's web site
        http://www.tothewoods.net/
        ...tim

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 28, 2007
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@...> wrote:

          > Thats interesting. i need to find more info on that do you know
          where i can find out about structual ridgelines

          Billy,

          You will want to use a low stretch rope or webbing for a structural
          ridgeline (basically no nylon stuff). There are a few files in my
          folders on this group that talk about the technical aspects of
          structural ridgelines
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/files/Youngblood%27s/ .
          If you have any questions about any of it after you have looked it
          over, let me know.

          Dave Womble
          aka Youngblood
          designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and the SnugFit Underquilt
        • wootres4
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 29, 2007
            Billy,
            Using Youngblood's article on sag angles, I came up with a 102 inch
            ridgeline for my ENO Double Nest hammock. It's Parra cord attached
            via carabinas and I wouldn't consider it structural. Regardless, it
            gives me a straight line to level the set up with and an almost
            perfect unoccupied 30 degree hang every single time. The angle
            changes when I get in, but this is the "feel' I'm used to and like.
            Then there is the advantage of hanging things on it when I'm in the
            hammock.
            All around I owe thanks to Dave (Youngblood) for the idea that is
            the best addition to my set up I've yet to come across.

            CHRIS

            wrote:

            > Thats interesting. i need to find more info on that do you know
            where i can find out about structual ridgelines

          • Billy Chard
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 29, 2007
              Thanks for that tid bit, i have an ENO double nest as well, just for giggles i will try the 102 inch ridgline and see how that works for me .. nothing else it will give me a baseline to start with..

              You All are Great
              Thanks for all the tips