Another Hammock

  • Miguel Arboleda
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 17, 2003
      Found reference to yet another hammock from Germany: the Scout. Pretty
      good price, too. Exped is quite a respected company in Europe.

      http://www.exped.com/exped/web/
      exped_homepage.nsf?OpenDatabase&Language=E

      cheers!
      Miguel

      • ~
      miguel arboleda
      s t u d i o b u t u k i
      _______________
      butuki@...
      Laughing Knees Blog- http://www.butuki.com/

      eyes to see, hands to touch, legs to walk, and a mind under the open sky
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 18, 2003
        Message
        Thanks for the link Miguel...Ed

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 18, 2003
          Thanks for the lead...

          I can add an "amen" about Exped products and their quality. I own a Wallcreeper bag, and it's ideal for hammocking (provided you go with a bag rather than a quilt).

          Bear

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 18, 2003
            David

            Good to hear. I am considering the Exped down air mattress for
            winter hammocking but it is to narrow and very heavy. I've also
            looked at the Stevenson D.A.M., better shape and better weight. But
            I still haven't come off the wallet yet. both are around $140. I
            don't know if this is the ultimate solution but it seems about a
            close as it comes. From my research reading the review of the D.A.M.
            on BGT and emailing the owner and from David's (forget his last
            name - photo dude from Cal) numerious comments I think I will
            eventuall get a D.A.M. So what if it takes several minutes to
            inflate, To stay warm all night in really cold weather I'd spend an
            hour inflating. Plus if I ever could not hang the hammock a D.A.M.
            would sure be a nice augment to the ground setup./ I keep hoping
            something better comes along

            Coy Boy

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 18, 2003
              Message
              Hi Coy, I've used a Stevenson D.A.M. down-filled inflatable and it is an excellent solution--at 3" thick it's good down to well below zero in a hammock!  With the carry sack-inflator that comes with it, it inflates with no problems in only 2-3 minutes.  It is wide enough for broad shoulders and the full length gives total body protection.  Because of the 1.5 lb weight, I'm been looking for a lighter alternative, but for zero temps, I'll gladly carry my DAM.  Mine was $165 in 2000 and I was on a waiting list for 9 months before delivery!  It is very-well handmade by Jack S and thus the high cost.  Jack seemed reluctant to sell the DAM without the rest of his Arctic sleeping system.  Mine did leak badly around the value when inflated the first time--but after considerable trial repairs, I've finally sealed it and it works fine now.  Obviously, the cost, weight and waiting list make it unsuitable for many folks.  I've considered making a moe suitable one myself 2" thick and 3/4 length to reduce weight, but haven't found the time yet.  I'd hope to make it under 1 lb, thus it would compete well with thinner foam inflatables, but would be much warmer.

              How thick is the Exped down pad?   Weight?  Dimensions?   ....Ed

              <dchinell@m...> wrote:
              > Thanks for the lead...
              >
              > I can add an "amen" about Exped products and their quality. I own a
              > Wallcreeper bag, and it's ideal for hammocking (provided you go
              with a bag
              > rather than a quilt).
              >
              > Bear

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 18, 2003
                Down Air Mattress
                Use: when comfort and insulation are most important
                Size: 70 x 20.5" / 178 x 52 cm
                Thickness: 3.5" / 9 cm
                Weight: mat - 32 oz / 920 gr
                packsack - 6 oz / 160 gr
                Rolled size: 12 x 5" / 30 x 13 cm
                Fill: 8.8 oz (250 g) 700 fill, high loft goose down, safe Nocar
                treatment to prevent effects caused by moisture buildup.
                MSRP USD: 149-

                Down Air Mattress DLX
                Use: when comfort, insulation and extra space are required
                Size: 78 x 26" / 198 x 66 cm
                Thickness: 3.5" / 9 cm
                Weight: mat - 45 oz / 1280 gr
                packsack - 7 oz / 200 gr
                Rolled size: 15 x 7" / 38 x 17 cm
                Fill: 11.3 oz (320 g) 700 fill, high loft goose down, safe Nocar
                treatment to prevent effects caused by moisture buildup.
                MSRP USD: 169-

                So the skinny one is 2 pounds and the wide one is 2 lbs 13 oz. I
                think the Stevenson is around 1.5 lbs as you mention. I am glad to
                hear it only takes a few minutes to inflate. Was the leak around
                the valve or somewhere else. As far as getting a lighter version, I
                have no problem with the 1.5 lbs D.A.M. if it is truly good down to
                0 F are even a bit cooler. I would have to pack several pads which
                would be too bulky. If you still have the D.A.M. bring it to the
                next SEAHHAH. Would you consider selling it. I'm interested! What
                size is yours. I want the biggest one he sells, 28 in wide IIRC

                Coy Boy

                > Hi Coy, I've used a Stevenson D.A.M. down-filled inflatable and it
                is an
                > excellent solution--at 3" thick it's good down to well below zero
                in a
                > hammock! With the carry sack-inflator that comes with it, it
                inflates
                > with no problems in only 2-3 minutes. It is wide enough for broad
                > shoulders and the full length gives total body protection.
                Because of
                > the 1.5 lb weight, I'm been looking for a lighter alternative, but
                for
                > zero temps, I'll gladly carry my DAM. Mine was $165 in 2000 and I
                was
                > on a waiting list for 9 months before delivery! It is very-well
                > handmade by Jack S and thus the high cost. Jack seemed reluctant
                > sell the DAM without the rest of his Arctic sleeping system. Mine
                did
                > leak badly around the value when inflated the first time--but after
                > considerable trial repairs, I've finally sealed it and it works
                fine
                > now. Obviously, the cost, weight and waiting list make it
                unsuitable
                > for many folks. I've considered making a moe suitable one myself
                2"
                > thick and 3/4 length to reduce weight, but haven't found the time
                yet.
                > I'd hope to make it under 1 lb, thus it would compete well with
                thinner
                > foam inflatables, but would be much warmer.
                >
                > How thick is the Exped down pad? Weight? Dimensions? ....Ed

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
                705

                065843:HM/A=1457554/R=0/SIG=11c6fnta2/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunma
                isu

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 18, 2003
                  Message
                  Coy, my DAM is approx: 70" long, 29" wide at shoulders, 3" thick; tapers at head and foot ends.  Yes it leaked around the valve at first--this is a very hard item to properly seal, but with Jack's repair instructions with the pad, I now have it sealed, although I worry it will leak again at a critical time--some more testing will address this concern.  As Jack instructs, the proper glue is Piolt Bond, sold at many hobby shops and fly-tying fishing shops.  All other glues failed, including Shoo-Gue, silicone caucking and Therm-a-rest hot glue. Future repairs should not be a problem now that I have the right glue.  The fabric itself seems moderately tough but not as much as the Therm-a-rest models.

                  The carry sack that comes with the DAM is necessary for inflation of the pad itself--you must not use your breath since it will put harmful moisture inside the pad.  This 3 oz bag must be carried as well as the pad itself. Does the same apply for the Exped pads?

                  Sorry, mine's not for sale!  I will gladly bring it the next time we meet....Ed

> [...]

                  > handmade by Jack S and thus the high cost.  Jack seemed reluctant
                  > sell the DAM without the rest of his Arctic sleeping system.  Mine
                  did
                  > leak badly around the value when inflated the first time--but after
                  > considerable trial repairs, I've finally sealed it and it works
                  fine
                  > now.  Obviously, the cost, weight and waiting list make it
                  unsuitable
                  > for many folks.  I've considered making a moe suitable one myself
                  2"
                  > thick and 3/4 length to reduce weight, but haven't found the time
                  yet.
                  > I'd hope to make it under 1 lb, thus it would compete well with
                  thinner
                  > foam inflatables, but would be much warmer.

                  > How thick is the Exped down pad?   Weight?  Dimensions?   ....Ed

                • Robert Logue
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 18, 2003
                    Ed,
                    Could not find any Interent reference to "Piolt Bond" -- would that
                    be "PlioBond" that you mean?
                    Thanks, Robert
                    P.S. Loved your book.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 18, 2003
                      Message
                      You're right Robert, it is Pliobond general purpose adhesive by Ashland, Inc. I bought a 1 oz tube at a fly-fishing shop. I think there may be other brand names for the same stuff....Ed

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 18, 2003
                        Ed,

                        I just got back from that 4 day kindergarten camping trip! I did not sleep well at all, tents just plain bite! i told everybody there about your book being on the way and about the hammock/material donations. They were extremely excited, though many were weary of hammocks, mostly from bad experiences in cheap commercial ones.  i will just have to prove them wrong.

                        BTW, my son aron, age 10 and i baked pizzas in the brick oven for all 80 ppl. what a blast! we will build an oven at the kindergarten as a community project.

                        To top of the great weekend, with the exception of poor sleep it was great, i arrived home to find that your book had arrived! I read it immediately and cannot wait to try out all that you have written!

                        again, thanks!

                        Robi
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 18, 2003
                          Message
                          Robi, I suspect few people in the world had such a weekend as you did!  Glad the book arrived OK.
                          Thanks for the update--you just might become the 'father of hammock camping' in Hungary yet!  ...Ed

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 18, 2003
                            Imagine Ed,

                            just as i sent that last msg i got a phone call asking for a summary (in hungarian) looks likes hammocking could really take off here...

                            robi

                            At 04:32 PM 6/18/03 -0400, you wrote:
[...]

                            19256ca.jpg
                            192588d.jpg

                          • Coy
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 18, 2003
                              Yep the storage sack for the exped is the pump/bellows. Same
                              reason. I read where thier valve is pretty bullet proof. Probably
                              heavier material for the chambers too. I dont blame you for not
                              wanting to sell.

                              Coy Boy
                              PS the David (photo dude from Cal) was David Spellman. I rememberd
                              his name 5 sec after sending the message this morning. Sorry David