Beach Hammock set-up

  • Garry
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2007
      Went San Gregorio beach this weekend to try setting up the hammock and
      experiment how to set up in such conditions. This beach has lots and
      lots of drift wood.
      First I found a few rather large logs and did a few drop tests on some
      other logs to listen for any cracks or deadwood type noises.
      Then dug a small but arm length holes with my hands. Set the poles at a
      bit of an outward angle \ / , a bit wider than I would normally look
      for in width. set up the hammock and gingerly climbed in. the logs did
      straighten up a bit. But the held great with only about 24-30" of hole
      depth. Next time I will pack some wetter sand in the front to stop too
      much movement, maybe add a few smaller sticks to shim the hole a bit
      perhaps.
      Set up the rain fly for some shade and enjoyed my vanilla soda and a wee
      nap.
      Next time it is rock hang experiments with a trip to rei for some
      climbing nuts. I think most of the fun for me is trying to find new
      places to hang!
      Put some pictures in
      http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/browse/13b0
      garrys_pics folder here in the group photos.