Re: [Hammock Camping] Giving Up

  • Brona
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 10, 2007
      Tim,
      Thanks for sending the dates. We will look into it and see if we
      can get there. Hopefully, it will be cooler.
      Brona

      > hopefuly yall can make it to hot springs (sept 14-16). i know of
      several that plan to be there.
      > and hopefuly, it'll be cooler by then. ...tim
      >
      > Brona <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:
      > We remember meeting you at Hot Springs. If you remember our
      little
      > trailer and the red Toyota truck, well, you won't be seeing either
      > again. And if you do see either, let us know. Better yet, tie them
      > to the nearest tree.
      >
      > Hopefully this winter we will be able to get out again. Right now
      > it is just too hot to even think about hitting any trail for us.
      >
      > Look forward to seeing you again, maybe in Hot Springs.
      > Brona
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > really sorry to hear that brona.
      > > i meet you at one of ed & karen's camp outs at hot springs last
      > year.
      > > i don't know what to say except that those that are supposed
      > to be managing our resources, usually forget where their
      priorities
      > are supposed to be.
      > > but i hope you'll continue to take advantage of all the
      > trails you can. ...tim
      > >

      > > Brona wrote:
      > > I have put off writing this for sometime now trying to decide
      > just
      > > what is the best course of action. (For those of you who don't
      > > know, I have been in an arm wrestling match with the NPS to
      allow
      > my
      > > Registered Service Animals, which are goats, to be on the trail
      > thus
      > > allowing me access to the AT.)
      > > The AT community has become somewhat of a family for me and
      hiking
      > > on the AT - a passion. Yes, there are other trails but none like
      > > the AT and it is sooooo close for me. Yes, there may be other
      > > communities but none like the folks associated with the AT.
      > > Everyone on this group is special.
      > > It seems that the NPS has the upper, larger hand when it comes
      > > this arm wrestling match. I am out here all alone. There seems
      > > be no group, organization, lawyer, etc wishing to assist me.
      Even
      > > the ACLU doesn't tackle this kind of thing! This is not a fight
      > > can fight alone. My health is too fragile. My time is too
      > > valuable.
      > > I am making the decision to spend my time quietly in the woods
      > > somewhere else other than fighting a seemingly pointless,
      useless,
      > > endless battle. I have no desire to be a poster child for this
      > > battle.
      > > What the NPS has done is illegal and a slap in the face for all
      > > disabled people. I have asked for nothing more than to let me
      hike
      > > the trail. What I ask the NPS for costs them no money or time.
      The
      > > NPS did give me an alternative (which they legally have to do).
      > > That is to allow the group size to increase so that I could have
      > > other people carry my things for me. What an insult! Not to
      speak
      > > of what additional people would do to the trail compared to my
      > > service animals. And that act would also take away my
      independance
      > > which the service animals provide. Even if I didn't prefer the
      > > solitude of the trail, I can't afford to "hire" anyone to go
      with
      > > me. Besides, not many people want to be on the trail during the
      > > winter/colder months. I was also told by the NPS that I could
      not
      > > be on the AT period but could be on the other trails that cross
      > the
      > > AT. This in effect is closing the entire AT park to me and that
      is
      > > also illegal.
      > > It would be great to be a "normal" person without the need for
      > > Service Animals. To have the freedom to be able to go and do
      > > without the extra baggage associated with being "imperfect". To
      be
      > > able to do things "normal" people can do. But I am not. I am me
      > > and this is what I have in my life and what I have to deal with.
      > If
      > > I had a choice, I wouldn't choose the extra burden of having to
      > deal
      > > with service animals on the trail. I too would prefer to have
      > > nothing more than my own pack on my back.
      > >
      > > An update on the theft of our truck and camping trailer from
      > > Damascus, VA: There is nothing new except that now that the
      Police
      > > Chief has been arrested for illegal activity, we wonder if their
      > > might be some ties to the auto thefts in the area as they did
      tell
      > > us where to park and that it would be safe. The truck and
      trailer
      > > have not been located. I currently have my SUV for sale so that
      > > can purchase a replacement truck which I have found. Also, I am
      > > looking for a slide-in camper for a short bed truck. The service
      > > animals will be in their pull along trailer as before.
      > >
      > > Thanks to all and enjoy!
      > > Brona
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Bonnie
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 11, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brona" <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:

        > I have put off writing this for sometime now trying to decide just
        > what is the best course of action. (For those of you who don't
        > know, I have been in an arm wrestling match with the NPS to allow my
        > Registered Service Animals, which are goats, to be on the trail thus
        > allowing me access to the AT.)

        Hi Brona,
        I understand your feelings. I have mobility issues and I am amazed at
        the blatant disregard of ADA laws by our government. Right now though
        I wanted to pass on some links you might find interesting.

        Scroll down to the end of the page where it says GOT YOUR GOAT
        http://www.bmta.org/NewsItems.htm#NewsNo2

        http://www.motherearthnews.com/Livestock-and-Farming/2002-06-01/Want-Milk-Get-Goats.aspx

        Enjoy the woods,
        Bonnie
      • Brona
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 14, 2007
          Bonnie,
          Thanks for the links. I agree that at this moment, even with the
          ADA laws, most government agencies feel that they can make up their
          own rules and regs-specially if they are also under the Department
          of Justice, Department of Interior.
          Brona

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bonnie" <treehugger@...>