[Hammock Camping] Re: Giving Up

  • Brona
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 10, 2007
      You are correct, GSMNP does not allow any animals. Nor does
      Baxter. However, prior to starting on the AT and knowing the rules
      for GSMNP, I emailed and asked if service animals are allowed on the
      AT through their park. The reply was:

      "Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 2:26 PM
      Subject: service animals on A.T. in Smokies

      Park regulations allow for service animals on trails. Generally
      proof is not required as need is apparent although most service
      animals do have certification papers.
      George Minnigh
      Park Ranger"

      Brona

      -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Stuhr, Tim" <tstuhr@...>
      wrote:

      > I don't think the Smoky Mtn. NP allows any animals to use the
      trail.
      > But I could be wrong.

    • Brona
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 10, 2007
        Tim,
        Thanks for sending the dates. We will look into it and see if we
        can get there. Hopefully, it will be cooler.
        Brona

        > hopefuly yall can make it to hot springs (sept 14-16). i know of
        several that plan to be there.
        > and hopefuly, it'll be cooler by then. ...tim
        >
        > Brona <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:
        > We remember meeting you at Hot Springs. If you remember our
        little
        > trailer and the red Toyota truck, well, you won't be seeing either
        > again. And if you do see either, let us know. Better yet, tie them
        > to the nearest tree.
        >
        > Hopefully this winter we will be able to get out again. Right now
        > it is just too hot to even think about hitting any trail for us.
        >
        > Look forward to seeing you again, maybe in Hot Springs.
        > Brona
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > really sorry to hear that brona.
        > > i meet you at one of ed & karen's camp outs at hot springs last
        > year.
        > > i don't know what to say except that those that are supposed
        > to be managing our resources, usually forget where their
        priorities
        > are supposed to be.
        > > but i hope you'll continue to take advantage of all the
        > trails you can. ...tim
        > >

        > > Brona wrote:
        > > I have put off writing this for sometime now trying to decide
        > just
        > > what is the best course of action. (For those of you who don't
        > > know, I have been in an arm wrestling match with the NPS to
        allow
        > my
        > > Registered Service Animals, which are goats, to be on the trail
        > thus
        > > allowing me access to the AT.)
        > > The AT community has become somewhat of a family for me and
        hiking
        > > on the AT - a passion. Yes, there are other trails but none like
        > > the AT and it is sooooo close for me. Yes, there may be other
        > > communities but none like the folks associated with the AT.
        > > Everyone on this group is special.
        > > It seems that the NPS has the upper, larger hand when it comes
        > > this arm wrestling match. I am out here all alone. There seems
        > > be no group, organization, lawyer, etc wishing to assist me.
        Even
        > > the ACLU doesn't tackle this kind of thing! This is not a fight
        > > can fight alone. My health is too fragile. My time is too
        > > valuable.
        > > I am making the decision to spend my time quietly in the woods
        > > somewhere else other than fighting a seemingly pointless,
        useless,
        > > endless battle. I have no desire to be a poster child for this
        > > battle.
        > > What the NPS has done is illegal and a slap in the face for all
        > > disabled people. I have asked for nothing more than to let me
        hike
        > > the trail. What I ask the NPS for costs them no money or time.
        The
        > > NPS did give me an alternative (which they legally have to do).
        > > That is to allow the group size to increase so that I could have
        > > other people carry my things for me. What an insult! Not to
        speak
        > > of what additional people would do to the trail compared to my
        > > service animals. And that act would also take away my
        independance
        > > which the service animals provide. Even if I didn't prefer the
        > > solitude of the trail, I can't afford to "hire" anyone to go
        with
        > > me. Besides, not many people want to be on the trail during the
        > > winter/colder months. I was also told by the NPS that I could
        not
        > > be on the AT period but could be on the other trails that cross
        > the
        > > AT. This in effect is closing the entire AT park to me and that
        is
        > > also illegal.
        > > It would be great to be a "normal" person without the need for
        > > Service Animals. To have the freedom to be able to go and do
        > > without the extra baggage associated with being "imperfect". To
        be
        > > able to do things "normal" people can do. But I am not. I am me
        > > and this is what I have in my life and what I have to deal with.
        > If
        > > I had a choice, I wouldn't choose the extra burden of having to
        > deal
        > > with service animals on the trail. I too would prefer to have
        > > nothing more than my own pack on my back.
        > >
        > > An update on the theft of our truck and camping trailer from
        > > Damascus, VA: There is nothing new except that now that the
        Police
        > > Chief has been arrested for illegal activity, we wonder if their
        > > might be some ties to the auto thefts in the area as they did
        tell
        > > us where to park and that it would be safe. The truck and
        trailer
        > > have not been located. I currently have my SUV for sale so that
        > > can purchase a replacement truck which I have found. Also, I am
        > > looking for a slide-in camper for a short bed truck. The service
        > > animals will be in their pull along trailer as before.
        > >
        > > Thanks to all and enjoy!
        > > Brona
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bonnie
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 11, 2007
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brona" <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:

          > I have put off writing this for sometime now trying to decide just
          > what is the best course of action. (For those of you who don't
          > know, I have been in an arm wrestling match with the NPS to allow my
          > Registered Service Animals, which are goats, to be on the trail thus
          > allowing me access to the AT.)

          Hi Brona,
          I understand your feelings. I have mobility issues and I am amazed at
          the blatant disregard of ADA laws by our government. Right now though
          I wanted to pass on some links you might find interesting.

          Scroll down to the end of the page where it says GOT YOUR GOAT
          http://www.bmta.org/NewsItems.htm#NewsNo2

          http://www.motherearthnews.com/Livestock-and-Farming/2002-06-01/Want-Milk-Get-Goats.aspx

          Enjoy the woods,
          Bonnie
        • Brona
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 14, 2007
            Bonnie,
            Thanks for the links. I agree that at this moment, even with the
            ADA laws, most government agencies feel that they can make up their
            own rules and regs-specially if they are also under the Department
            of Justice, Department of Interior.
            Brona

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bonnie" <treehugger@...>